PDA

View Full Version : Clarithromycin and Long Qt. I'm freaking out!!!

ashurrutia
17-01-13, 22:37
From Dr.Google:

What are the possible side effects of clarithromycin (Biaxin, Biaxin XL)?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

uneven heartbeats, chest pain, shortness of breath;
diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
problems with your hearing; or
severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
[...]

As with other macrolides, clarithromycin has been associated with QT prolongation and ventricular arrhythmias, including ventricular tachycardia and torsades de pointes.

I started taking it today for a Sinus Infection, and of course, while I was prolonging as much as I could taking it, and seeing that Amoxicillin didn't do squat, I had no other option but to start taking it. Now I'm experiencing the same chest pain I had yesterday, and the same shortness of breath, but unlike yesterday, now I think I will develop long QT, Ventricular Fibrillation and Sudden Cardiac Death, which of course has my anxiety through the roof. I spoke to my doctor, and he said that since my previous EKG revealed normal QT interval that I shouldn't worry about it, yet I'm still freaking out!!!:scared15:

tigerlark
17-01-13, 23:32
Listen to your REAL doctor, not Dr. Google! Stop your negative thoughts because YOU CAN CHOOSE what to think! Relax and breathe and try not to focus on it, and you may find it goes away! :hugs: