PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks while driving

lucy loo
18-01-13, 17:59
Is any one else panic attacks while driving its cause me so many problems and feel so alone on the matter as family don't understand it all

vitabelle
18-01-13, 18:35
hi lucy

yes i have not driven now for a couple of months because of a panic attack i had whilst driving. i know its hard when people dont understand but i do :) so if you ever need to talk im here. x

taureanwar
18-01-13, 19:29
I've definitely suffered a few panic attacks while driving. At first, I thought it was one of my triggers for nicotine; I would usually smoke a couple cigarettes while driving and when I quit I figured it was my brain telling me to smoke. Couple times last month and as recent as last week on the way to the market I had an anxiety attack. Was thinking of pulling over but i fought through it and got to my destination safely.
How did you get through it?

Col
18-01-13, 19:59
Hi Lucy loo, read my current thread - OH NO SNOW on the general forum!

That's how much I hate driving and panic ! I've got better but this snow has wound me up to high heaven! I was horrendous for months aftermy breakdown and my first ever encounter with panic attacks 2 years ago! My family didn't understand the car panic and not being able to drive far nor, me having panic attacks full stop! Because I was larger than life & now a shrinking violet they can't get their heads around it, 2 years on! Despite years of crap which they contributed to , anyway!!! Jokes .

I can completely relate , in time things will get better. Ignore others & concentrate on YOU!

panickyme
18-01-13, 21:42
Meeeeeee, I always panic while I am driving, and have had many major panic attacks while driving. (probably shouldn't even be on the road, cause boy oh boy when I have a panic attack, I fly to get were I am going. (for Christmas my husband bought me a brand new beautiful, midnight blue, Jeep grand cherokee) and it makes me so sad that I can't take this thing all over the place. It makes you feel trapped, and helpless. Work is maybe 2-4 miles away from home, and I send myself into panic mode every morning thinking about driving there. I can't stand it. I could drive across America if someone is in the passenger seat, but alone forget it. I even panic for my daughter when she makes a 3 hr. trip to visit or go back home. (don't know how she does it) you are not alone, this is probably one of my biggest issues, besides worrying about my heart all the time. Hope we find away. :hugs:

saintanselm
19-01-13, 19:33
Yes. I suffered panic attacks when driving but have learnt to cope with them. I first found out when I had panic attacks and it was always on motorways and then I noticed it was in between long junctions. I think I felt ' trapped' and as I was between junctions I had no way of " escaping." Now what I do is try and avoid motorways but if I do have to drive on them I take it " one junction at a time." Its helped me.