PDA

View Full Version : Doctor can't do anything for a few weeks? What should I do about panics and worries?

bexbex
18-01-13, 19:27
I went to the doctor and asked her about my constant worrying, panicking about things I had no control over and she said It may just be a stressful phase and I will get over it.
She said come back in a few weeks.

Every day my tummy is in a knot. I can't focus on anything. Even doing work, watching films or anything I try and do, my worries still are in my mind.

Sometimes I post my worries on here. But most of the time I feel I wan't to cope with them in my own way. I feel I shouldn't rely on other people for comfort I should think in my mind and try and forget them.

Online I read things like 'plan a certain time to worry' thing is, this just doesn't work. I can't just forget worrying and do something else.

I have a few weeks until I go back and get some advice from her. She said do other things and be around friends more. I live in a house of 4 other girls. We can't hang out all the time, we need our alone time to get on with work.

There must be something or some advice to help with my knotted tummy and constant anxiety. It is driving me mad. I never used to be like this!

Sparkle1984
18-01-13, 20:06
Hi Bex, I've read this and your other thread from last night, but it doesn't sound like your doctor has been very helpful so far. If you'd like to learn techniques to deal with your worries and change negative thoughts, you could ask your doctor to be referred for CBT. I've found that very helpful. :)

Ellenar1982
18-01-13, 20:27
Hi, I know what you are going through and it is really difficult, I am the same, Sat at home watching tv, had panic attack, now constantly worrying about having more panic ,and cant stop thinking what if something bad happens, my stomach in knots, feel like I can't breathe so I go to bed early to try sleep, just so can have peace from the fear, but I went to doctors, and he gave me propranolol, they help with palpitations, but didn't stop the constant worrying, so now on antidepressants., you should defo go back to ddoctor's and make sure you get something to help you. I find it helps me alot to talk to people going through the same thing. hope you get the help you need.

bexbex
18-01-13, 22:24
My thoughts are going mad right now.
I have always been a worrier but right now it is horrible.
If you have seen some of my posts you may think some of my worries are silly. But of course I don't think that! All i think of is the worst!

Sometimes I chat to my boyfriend about my certain worries. I am currently worried about something and my boyfriend he said and promised he would pay me £100 if my certain worry were correct and worth worrying about!

Other people wouldn't worry as much as me! But once I worry it is in my head for weeks. Sleepless nights and tummy knots! It is horrible!

tigerlark
19-01-13, 16:50
Bex, let me tell you.. I know exactly what you're going through right now. That was me six weeks ago. With the help of medication and therapy, I am nearly anxiety and panic free! I still have a ways to go as I work through my negative thought patterns and self-esteem problems, but I PROMISE you, you WILL get through it. Panic attacks are very real and very scary, but they are also VERY fixable. It is not something you will be dealing with forever, unless YOU let it last forever!

You can choose how and what you are thinking. Write down positive things and repeat them to yourself every day or even every hour if you have to! Things like "I am beautiful, I am loved, I am excellent, I am healthy, I am provided for." I promise this will help you, if you LET the positive thoughts really sink in. Now take some deep breaths and really think about the way you're thinking. You can do it! I believe in you! :)

AlwaysPanik
20-01-13, 12:03
Hi Ellenar,
I too have just joined this site. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine ! DO you find that your anxiety is triggered by anxiety?! Mr DR asked me the other day what triggers my panic. Its the panic and anxiety that triggers it, vicious circle. I am sitting here checking my pulse, feeling a tightness in my back so breathing is odd...... I feel for you, its just awful. Lets hope we can get some help on here.
XX

thetube82
20-01-13, 21:54
how about spending some time working through these:

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=46

and spend your time doing something a bit more constructive than worrying ;)

thetube82

Sparkle1984
20-01-13, 23:13
how about spending some time working through these:

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=46

and spend your time doing something a bit more constructive than worrying ;)

thetube82

Seconded, I really recommend those online workbooks as I've found them very helpful. :)

smit
22-01-13, 23:59
Hey bex, when I first went dr this is what I was more or less told to do too.
I have down days , I have up days. Mostly I post my down days on here.
But here'sa few things that seem to help:
Distraction ( counting backwards from 10k or something when panic is comming)
Repeating positive phrases even if you dont beleive them at first. ( This is a lovely relaxing train ride , in stead of what if this crashes )

lamb4
23-01-13, 01:04
Surf the panic.. Seriously. My panic attacks still come although I feel like I'm in a better place. When I feel the panic coming (the feeling of doom/fear, chest pains, tingling) I ride it out.. Even though I'm quite tense I just let it happen.. I believe it's a way of our body telling us to 'Stop' and our thoughts/stress manifest themselves physically for us to take notice. The way we think, our emotional and mental state needs to be reevaluated. Go out, do something you enjoy, talk to people- we are all in this together. Look at other people around you who walk the same path as you without as much worry and fear and strive to adopt their attitudes. This is what helped me to overcome the panic and I'm still working on positive thinking.. Good luck x