PDA

View Full Version : Will apetite ever return?

SuperStar457
19-01-13, 11:07
Hi, I'm on day 10 of citalopram 10mg but for at least a month previous to starting meds I lost my apetite, thought of food makes me feel sick! I'm only eating because I have to... I know people have said cit can make you loose apetite but I'm worried as I have lost it for so long!
Anyone had any success stories, where their live of food has eventually returned?

Annie0904
19-01-13, 11:25
I was the same, it was the anxiety that made me loose my appetite. I couldn't even watch cookery programmes on TV. The very thought of food made me cry. I ate little bits as often as I could, even taking little nibbles from rich tea biscuits. Now that my anxiety is improving I am getting my appetite back. Hopefully I will be able to grow back into my clothes soon :)

SuperStar457
19-01-13, 11:47
Thanks for your reply, it's really been worrying me! Glad to hear there may be a bit of hope :) are you on meds Annie?

Annie0904
19-01-13, 12:04
Yes I take Dosulipin and chlordiazepoxide.

TJSMITH
19-01-13, 13:14
I stopped eating for weeks before meds it was as if my brain didn't register the need for food but after two weeks on citalopram that was the first thing to change it was strange almost like someone turned the light back on lol

SuperStar457
19-01-13, 17:51
I really hope that light comes on for me soon, my throat seems so dry today making me wretch, did you guys have that? Like my throat closing in on me?

Annie0904
19-01-13, 18:46
Sometimes I felt like I was struggling to swallow x

SuperStar457
19-01-13, 18:48
Yes! That's what it's like? How long we're you like that?

clio51
19-01-13, 19:04
hi

I was exactly like you, I . was on cipralex at the start of my episoDr.
every morning I would get up and start heaving this lasted for at least 6weeks. the thought of food did not interest me,yet I was hungry and my stomach was churning. I was eating next to nothing just sips of water also I didn't get dehydrated. when I did manage light food sometimes I would bring it back 5 mins later.

your appetite will only return when your anxiety lessens, start by when you feel like it thing's like soup,yogurt,banana,rice pudding.
I honestly felt mine would never return and even when my anxiety is higher that's the first thing that goes again. since Sept last year I have lost over 2 stone.

SuperStar457
19-01-13, 19:10
And did you get back to your normal apetite after the 6 weeks?

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Meant to add, I feel my anxiety has improved but still no yearn for food :( my stomach tells me when I'm empty x

clio51
19-01-13, 19:17
I mostly just eat just the 3 meals a day, no extra' s hardly unless I really feel like it. I can look at food now and it doesn't interest me at all and really don't know why.
I was to eat thing's in between meals crisps,biscuit,fruit anything. but now it's like it's not me!!!! occasionally I will have a biscuit or choc but it really is nothing like it was. but at least I manage 3 meals at the moment anyway which I'm really glad about because that empty feeling is horrible.
xx

Sparkle1984
19-01-13, 22:27
My appetite started to return after about 5 days. But even now, after being on them for 5 months, I don't think I eat quite as much food as I used to, as I get full up more quickly.

Noddy
22-01-13, 22:14
Hi,

I lost about 5kgs in the first few weeks which was pretty bad as im already rather slim and my throat was always dry. I couldn't eat even though i was starving because i was so nauseous but now im in my 7th week my appetite is almost back to normal.