PDA

View Full Version : WHEN DOES THE NERVOUS SYSTEM SETTLE DOWN?

juju
31-08-06, 19:42
hi all
i have this problem that i cant really work out its confusing. the thing is ive accepted the ongoing symptoms, (even when not anxious) they dont really bother me as i have little coping strategies, i havent panicked in about 5 weeks, but i would like to know when does your brain get the message and stop trying to protect your body with anxiety symptoms? does anyone have a clue? is it now just habit do you think?
hope anyone can help
thanks
julie:(

we are all stronger people after having this

jackie
31-08-06, 20:20
whats your secret? how to not fear thwe symptoms@ OH ID LOVE TO KNOW

dont put a limit on their disappearing. have you read claire weekes book " self help for yuor nerves" on this. the key is not mattering if and when they go because they matter not to you

easier said than done but you sound like your on the right track

whats your secret

jackie

MissBehavin
31-08-06, 20:20
Quite a few weeks it was for me.
Its varied each time, but Diazapam, as in only a few days course knocked the symptoms on the head in the end & touch wood, so far so good, that was some months ago.
Its getting out that vicious circle i think.

Pete to win Big Brother 7

juju
01-09-06, 13:34
hi
thanks for that, i have no secret really, all i do is when i feel a symptom coming on is tell myself oh its only this or that, and tell myself that i like it (sounds wierd i know) but it does lessen them, and also the best one is to say to myself its not real anyway, now that one really works cos how can something thats not real bother you?
it does work for me but i think everyones different.
take care
julie

reianni
01-09-06, 16:02
Usually as long as you think you're suffering and you think it's getting worse then it will. This happened to me a lotta times before, I just felt a little heartburn and a little vertigo I suddenly panic. 2mg of Rivotril took care of that problem but I don't want to be dependent on them too much but I bring 5 tabs in my wallet just to be sure.

Alternative ways is that I find other things to keep my mind occupied like I play Sony PSP and read comic books or I invite friends over to my house. One time I really had a serious panic attack that I asked my brother to bring me to a hospital and when I was there they checked me out and told me to just indulge in social activities preferably not the too loud kind so I just have my friends over to my house. The doctors told me to be a child for once.:D

juju
01-09-06, 20:59
i have read claire weekes, and these 2 bks are what initially helped me, and this site of course, and the great people who understand me, i guess im a little impatient and wanting to rush things.
lol
julie

Angieb17
02-09-06, 15:53
Hi

Just a quick word. My CBT man told me that the brain takes a while to accept any new way of looking at things, it is called Cognitive Lag, like Jet Lag, it takes a while to get back to normal. So we have to be patient and in time it will catch up.

Here's hoping

Angie X

Trev
02-09-06, 16:15
Clare Weekes states that to "heal" a sensitised body after COMPLETE acceptance takes 2-3 months normally.

As she says, very few people truly accept but it sounds like you are one of them. Good on you. :D
Don't fall into the trap of expecting to feel nothing after that. "Normal" people still get bodily sensations but they don't give them a second thought.

Cheers,
Trev

Trev
02-09-06, 16:19
Oh, and don't rush to get it over with. Rushing just promotes agitation which feeds anxiety.

As Reianni says, occupation is the best option. Anything that you like doing that stops you thinking.......and exercise is also a great way to get rid of the last bit.

Cheers,
Trev :D