PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety instead of depression?

spacebunnyx
19-01-13, 16:35
Hi,

I have health anxiety but never (thankfully) depression. In many ways I *should* be feeling depressed, but I don't I feel anxious instead. Is this normal?

In the last couple of years my parents divorced (I'm not young but still tough), by nan died, I've had failed IVF last summer (I have big time fertility issues), then a surprise miracle pregnancy that ended in an ectopic just before christmas. Since christmas I've been in a state of anxiety and worry that I'm going to die.. but not depressed or sad. Does anyone have any experience of this? Why is my brain worrying instead of dealing with grief etc. I don't get it. :weep:

cattia
19-01-13, 19:12
I am 35 and have had anxiety most of my life. I have suffered from depression too but only a few acute espisodes. For me anxiety is by far the biggest problem. Some people believe that heath anxiety is a way of diverting your worries away from the thing that is bothering you deep down. I don't know whether I believe that or not, but certainly in times of stress of sadness my HA is much worse. For me depression only ever happens secondary to anxiety, I suppose it's just the way we process things.

Also it sounds as though you have been through a lot of heartache, so maybe counseling would help you to process your emotions?

ElizabethJane
19-01-13, 20:40
Hi Spacebunny I have a lot of experience of infertility and IUI.s and one successful IVF. I think that you will need to allow yourself to grieve about the loss of your Nan and your parents divorce and the unsuccessful IVF. You will need to talk over your feelings with somebody? Address the sadness and I believe that the thoughts about death will be less. PM me if you want to talk about IVF. EJ