PDA

View Full Version : Hello from someone with anxiety in various manifestations

WantToBeFreeAgain
19-01-13, 17:45
Hi there,

I'm a woman in my mid-50s who has been struggling with feeling "different" for a very long time.

Only now am I beginning to piece together all the various and sundry symptoms, or ways of being different, and beginning to recognize they're all a part of one big thing. Specifically, I can see now the I'm afflicted with OCD, claustrophobia, agoraphobia, social anxiety disorder, avoidant personality disorder and heaven knows what else, with a little PTSD (from childhood abuse) thrown in. I'm also a recovering alcoholic (alcohol became a problem in my mid 40s; in retrospect, I was attempting to self-medicate during menopause, which exacerbated my underlying emotional issues and made life unbearable), but have been clean and sober for six years.

During the 3-1/2 years I was drinking, I awoke on four separate nights, all at around 4 a.m., in full blown panic attacks. I didn't have the pounding chest and feeling of doom; I had acute claustrophobia. The panic seemed to loop back on itself until I felt buried in it and unable to escape. Physically, the symptoms consisted of some sweating and hyperventilating, pretty much what I'd expect if I were buried alive or stuck in an elevator. (I was stuck in my apt. building's elevator a few weeks ago - for the first time in the 16 years I've lived here - and went right into panic mode in two seconds, screaming for help.)

This morning, after several years, I had another panic attack. My eyes shot open at 3:45 a.m. I went out and got my two cats and brought them in to sleep with me. I learned before that having these little beings with me would calm me down -- eventually.

Then, when I woke up for the day several hours later, I felt like crying, and did. That's when I got online and eventually found you all.

What I'm looking for is a way to heal. Can anyone help me?

xo

nomorepanic
19-01-13, 17:55
Hi WantToBeFreeAgain

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

WantToBeFreeAgain
19-01-13, 18:08
Thanks, Nic. I'm afraid I may have ended my post in a more self-centered way than I intended. Of course, I'm looking for help, but I'm also looking to comfort and commiserate with everyone similarly afflicted.

xo

Mark13
19-01-13, 18:42
I think Nicola's reply is an automated response which she sometimes adds extras to (sorry if I'm wrong), don't read too much into it. She's just flagging up the various avenues of information on the site, as a help to newcomers to the site.

Welcome to the forum.

WantToBeFreeAgain
19-01-13, 18:54
Thanks, Mark...I did suspect that her response was automated (but helpful), as I saw it posted in response to someone else's self-introduction. It really was when I took a second look at my post that I realized I ended it in a way I didn't intend.

Thanks for the reassurance and the welcome. :-)

Fenrir
19-01-13, 19:05
:welcome: to NMP. :hugs:

ynos
19-01-13, 19:10
:welcome:

WantToBeFreeAgain
19-01-13, 19:18
Thanks, everyone. :-)

CarmR
19-01-13, 20:03
Hiya and Welcome!
Hope you find lots of help here as we all have..
Carmel x

WantToBeFreeAgain
19-01-13, 22:07
Thanks, Carm. xo

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

I just wanted to say that in poking around the resource material, I found the article on what to do if experiencing a panic attack, and I'm so happy to have found that. Thanks.