PDA

View Full Version : Anxety and Sleep- Anybody relate?

saintanselm
19-01-13, 21:36
Hello fellow forum members.

Anxiety levels 8 out of 10 tonight. Which is bad for me. I try to go to bed early and read but the anxiety stops me concentrating then getting to sleep. I could knock myself out with alcohol but I've found that in the past that makes me ten times more anxious in the morning so drinking is like a very bad bandage which just makes things worse so I don't do that anymore. It still makes getting to sleep very tough as I lay awake feeling anxious about everything; work, friends, health... it drives me crazy!!!

Do any forum members have the same difficulties and if so any tips on how to combat those thoughts and feelings.

J

Fenrir
19-01-13, 21:47
It takes me 2 or more hours to fall asleep when I cant stop thinking about things.
It's best to get out of bed and do something to help take your mind off it.
Currently listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx90uToPWVg with headphones.
Search youtube for ASMR, Relax or Sleep, there are lots of videos to help, most of my browser links are for relaxing videos.
Hope it helps.

Bella81
20-01-13, 00:33
I can totally relate - it is why I am on the internet at 12.30am! Last night I watched a Frasier boxset until 2am because I didn't want to turn the light out and start worrying and totally blowing things out of proportion.

I don't have any tips I'm afraid because I have only recently experienced this particular anxiety issue due to a new job and living on my own for the first time. I would also welcome any advice

Mark13
20-01-13, 01:22
To be fair I find 15mg of Mirtazapine does the trick for me, although it doesn't work if I'm really anxious, just my normal background level.

It's very difficult to escape from these troubling thoughts, maybe practice mindfulness, or breathing exercises (mindfulness is related to meditation but doesn't involve "emptying your mind", it teaches relaxed acceptance).

saintanselm
20-01-13, 01:39
Thanks Bella and Mark. I'm actually on Mirtazipine but a low dose 20 mgs a night and they do help but they lose their sleeping ability after a while. And you are meant to take them daily.

Mark13
20-01-13, 01:44
Thanks Bella and Mark. I'm actually on Mirtazipine but a low dose 20 mgs a night and they do help but they lose their sleeping ability after a while. And you are meant to take them daily.
Are you sure it's 20mg?

I was under the impression they only come in 15, 30 & 45mg tablets.

If you mean 30, they will help for depression, but not sleep, there's an anti-histamine effect at 15mg that's not present in higher doses.

I find that they lose effectiveness after maybe 12-18 months, but I tried other drugs for a week or two, didn't help, went back on Mirt and the sedation kicked in again. Been on them 5½ years now, wouldn't be without them :)

Arnie365
20-01-13, 06:33
I'm the exact opposite of this. I go to bed to get away from my anxiety and bury my head in the sand. I can fall asleep pretty much no matter how high my anxiety is. This might sound a blessing to those struggling to sleep but it has its downsides. I do end up waking up very early the next day so my anxiety starts early! It's also not much fun for my wife who has to sit up on her own and with us both working it means we hardly see each other some days. I've also been a heavy sleeper so don't know if this has something to do with it but fortunately sleep hasn't been affected so far.

SuperStar457
20-01-13, 09:03
Yep! Lay awake from 3am this morning, getting myself all wound up over things! The more my inner chatter box went on the more anxious I got. I take 20mg of tamazepam and normally that gives me about 6 hours but this last 2 nights I've had hardly any sleep which makes my anxiety worse in the morning :(

tamo
20-01-13, 09:40
Hi , nights are bad for me just now also , I get to sleep fine but wake with panic 3 or 4 times during the night . Ive trained myself self talk and repeat some affirmations till i doze off . I dont understand where this night panic has came from although I have been going through some job changes lately and i do hate the winter so much , im exhausted

I can relate to your not wanting to drink to get you to sleep , if i have a heavy boozing session my panic / anxiety go off the scale next day so its not worth it .

Im sorry your going through this night anxiety and would love to be able to give you some positive advice .

wishing you well

SuperStar457
20-01-13, 09:49
I've seen people say that we should get up and do something rather than struggle to sleep, but I've been feeling so sick and agitated that I don't want to be downstairs alone either :( tv doesn't even take my mind off things :( think my tamazepam has lost its sleeping effect also :(

Roxy79
20-01-13, 10:16
Keep busy helps me. I actually got up one night after Xmas and started taking all the decorations down! Sometimes when I can't sleep I read, or watch tv until I fall asleep. My anxiety is always worse at night and I feel so alone. Alcohol is evil when it comes to anxiety. X

Arnie365
20-01-13, 12:04
I've stopped drinking it completely because I felt anxious during drinking (always felt my blood pressure was going up) and then more anxious the day after.

saintanselm
20-01-13, 13:59
Thanks for the replies and quite right I'm on 30mgs but interesting to note what you said about being an anti-hestimine like effect if you just take 15mgs. I might try that tonight.

M