PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and panic attacks

Ally24
20-01-13, 13:45
Hey everyone,hope u are all in good health,i was at a work night out las night and have a hangover but i feel like im ready to burst into panic at any minute,most of my panic attacks have been after a nights drinking!anybody ave any techniques to counter act this feeling?its so horrible,even though i know iv had many panic attacks before and got over them i feel like the feeling wil never go away!iv a really big phobia of death too which doesnt help in times like this!iv also recently got results of my bloods and fpund that im lacking greatly in vitamin B12,does anyone know if this can be a cause or factor within panic attacks?cheers Ally

saintanselm
20-01-13, 14:11
Hey Ally,

Yep, know that feeling well. I know for a fact that it is clinically proven that alcohol increase anxiety and makes you more prone to panic attacks. Especially if you drink in excess. Before I found this out I treated alcohol as a bandage, thinking it took away the anxiety, it doesn't. I know its tough but try not drinking one night, or a couple of nights a week and monitor how you feel the next morning/ day.

M

Ally24
20-01-13, 14:24
Its actually the first time iv had a drink since christmas but i over did it a bit last nite!iv tried to give up completely to keep my anxiety at bay!the passed couple o weeks iv been okay,fee symptoms ere and there but no attacks!im on lexapro 15mg tabs and they ave been a great help to me bu im paranoid that if i take one after last nites drinkin il get a bad reaction,wud you ave any advice on this?Ally:)

Donny
20-01-13, 14:44
Ally.

The quickest way to get rid of the feeling is to drink at least 2 liters of water as quickly as possible. (use diluting juice as drinking that amount of plain water is not fun.)

You are dehydrated. Your heart is working a little faster because your blood is a little thicker due to the dehydration. Once you dilute your blood down a bit with plain water your heart will not need to work so fast and you will relax a little.

The best way to feel better is to have a pint glass of diluted juice. Put half a teaspoon of salt in it and two teaspoons of sugar. It tastes like crap but it is the quickest way to replace the lost electrolytes the alcohol has removed from your system.

Good luck.

maximus1975
20-01-13, 14:45
i can tell you that anxiety causes my anxiety to rise bigtime , i no its not what most people recommend but i always have a couple of cans just to bring myself down to a normal level , if i went out on a big session the next day is pure hell so i kinda wean myself of it over the nxt couple of days.
i mucked up at xmas and started drinking again and guess what when i stopped drinking my anxiety levels went through the roof

saintanselm
20-01-13, 14:56
@ Donny. That's really useful advice. Thanks. I personally think alcohol's fairly evil for those of us with anxiety!

Donny
20-01-13, 14:59
No probs S.

not my advice. got it from a doctor one time I ended up in hospital with a massive panic attack after a drinking session the night before.

Drink very rarely now.

Ally24
20-01-13, 16:05
Thanks a mill for your post donny,appreciate it!i think dat wat makes it worse is dat wen im drunkin im always worryin bou the next day so pretty much expect the anxiety to he there when i wake up!one of the only things i find dat distrats me from the anxiety is to Play xbox but as soon as i stop,anxiety is straight back in dee:(

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Panic is gettin so much worse,trying so much to disyract myself but uts not working!im so worried something wil happen to me,please help me

cgrove
22-01-13, 13:49
Don't drink alcohol and stop trying to fight against the panic. Senti, vai a facebook e cerca "Be Healthy Spot". Ho scritto tanti articoli per aiutare attacchi di panico. E' naturale e facile d'iniziare.

Chris

spacebunnyx
22-01-13, 18:21
Although alcohol doesn't cause panic with me as such, i have noticed it gives me palpitations which in turn cause me to become anxious. Try cutting back on the drinking... easier said than done though! xxx

Kerry B
22-01-13, 18:43
I find the next day after drinking I really depressed and my mind cannot settle. x