PDA

View Full Version : Worried about step-son

Logan_Five
20-01-13, 20:04
Been a long time since I posted, but me and the Mrs have concerns about my step-son, so am looking for some advice. . He's been back living between ours and his big sister's for the last 6 weeks or so. He's 24, had a history of mental health associated problems, but seems to be getting himself back on track a bit over the last year (being more motivated, doing voluntary work, etc) However, he has taken to the spare bed since Friday and not really shifted, save for going to the bog. He's not even had much (if anything) to eat or drink. Said he wasn't well at first - had no energy, so we put it down to a bug. Since then he's just becoming more unresponsive and says he will 'get up later', but never does. Part of me is thinking he could be having some kind of depressive episode/breakdown and I want to source some help for him quickly. This may involve ringing a doctor tomorrow and arranging a house visit, though it will have to be a doc from my surgery as he is registered in the East End of Newcastle (where he used to live) He won't talk to me and our lass. Any ideas?

Mark13
20-01-13, 22:44
I remember having a "breakdown" / major depressive episode in 1993, managed to make it from my house to my mums, in a daze.

She rang the Doctor on call. If it's an emergency then it shouldn't matter where he's registered.

I went to my mums for help, I was 26 at the time (similar age to your step-son). She got me that help. When I didn't respond to the drugs and was getting worse she got me an emergency hospital referral.

My point is, better to get help. If you're wrong so be it. Better that than the alternative.

Logan_Five
20-01-13, 23:18
I rang NHS Direct, so spoke to my wife and got her to ask my step-son some questions. He apparently does feel suicidal all of the time, but does not have a 'plan'. Doc rang back a bit later (having been referred on) and seemed to think that he should be OK tonight, but said it was hard to diagnose without seeing medical history or speaking to him in person. I'm gonna ring his GP's in the morning and try to arrange a home visit.

In the mean time, we have hidden all of the medication and sharp knives, given that he has a past history of self harm (cutting) and also taking an overdose. Just hope we can get an early intervention.