PDA

View Full Version : sinus and swelling

shellyruby40
20-01-13, 22:46
hi.
any sinusitis sufferers out there..id appreciate your imput.
i had a severe sinus infection that lasted 3 weeks.ive still got it but much more low grade cheek and eye and nose pain am on a steroid nasal spray which i think is helping slightly and am still taking painkillers.
what im concerned about is a slight swelling on my cheek and nose..its like a small bump to the side of the bridge of the nose..im getting paranoid about it,
ive been to the drs about 4 or 5 times in the last 2 weeks and im embarrased to go back again.
the 1st time i got antibiotics and the swelling was there then and the dr said maybe is mild celulitis as it felt warm..
the next time i went i was crying in the drs office because i felt so ill with it..the heavy duty antibiotics made me sleep for 2 weeks plus the infection and i couldnt breath properly.pain in head and behind eyes.the dr sent me to hospital because i was so anxious..dr said was sinusitis and said to take painkillers.he wasnt concerned about the slight swelling.
went back the week after to drs as had a really bad sore throat..she thought it was a throat infection but didnt want to give more antibiotics..as it was so painful went back on an emergency appointment after the weekend and was told it was oral thrush[antibiotics was a very high dose] was told to come back a week later regarding the sinusitis and saw a different dr who actually looked up my nose and straightaway gave me a script for steroid spray to shrink the imflamation but said it could take a few weeks to work and to use the spray for a month..if it dosent work then will have to have an op to drain the sinus..dr didnt say anything about the slight swelling on side of my nose..you wouldnt notice it really unless i pointed it out but i can see it and when i look at both soides of the cheek it is definalty still slightly swollen..

so my problem isnt really with the sinus.its with the small lump/swelling on the outside of the nose.i have googled[stupid i know]and it talks about nasal polyps but says they arent that often visible from the outside and its usually on both sides..but i dont know if the lump is polyps or imflammation from the sinus which is still blocked but not as bad as when i had the raging infection,when i look up my nose its really narrow and when i look at hubbys his look normal and nothing like mine..
i cant bear to go back to the drs i just want this lump/swelling gone.
does anyone have any experience with swelling from sinus.please can anyone reasure me that its just imflammation from the sinus..ive been using the nasal spray for 10 days but i know it can be 3 weeks until you notice a difference...the health anxiety is going of control over the 3 weeks i felt really rough but now ive got this low grade terror of the swelling still.
sorry so long.thank you for reading.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 09:55
I think you need to trust your doctor on this and keep using the spray, hopefully the swelling should go down with it. Sorry you have had such a rough time with it, hopr you feel better soon. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

shellyruby40
21-01-13, 10:14
I think you need to trust your doctor on this and keep using the spray, hopefully the swelling should go down with it. Sorry you have had such a rough time with it, hopr you feel better soon. :hugs::hugs::hugs:
thanks Annie.i know your right,i just needed to hear it..it stands to reason that imflamation comes with swelling..i will trust the dr.ive re booked for in another 2 weeks when i will have finshed the spray and hoping it will have gone down..where does my our logic go in a h/a episode lol.thanks annie xx

Annie0904
21-01-13, 10:16
alternating hot and cold compresses on the area helps with the swelling (10 mins each) xx

shellyruby40
21-01-13, 10:30
thanks annie.i will try that now..cant wait for the pressure in my nose and eyes to go away.feel reasured that ive booked my follow up appointment and need to stay with the logic and not book and emergency appointment.god knows what the drs must think of me xx

Beagle
21-01-13, 12:47
Hi

I had chronic sinusitus for 10 years before I actually did something about sorting the cause - a deviated septum (middle bit of your nose). In that time I was staggered by how and where the pain and swelling would manifest itself. The nasal sprays do work if used consistantly over a period of time. I was told that I could still use the over the counter decongestants, but to do so only when at its worst as over time I had developed an allegy to them, which made the inside of my nose swell.

Inhaling steam is meant to help, but I found warm showers were better, especially if u let the water run off your face, or whereever you feel most congested. Although a bit disgusting, I found that blowing my nose in the shower helped to clear a lot of blockages. No tissues, just block one nostril and blow. The water cleans it all up!

A hot water bottle (warm water only, or u scold - found that out the hard way) applied to the face is also very soothing, though not suitable for use in public, even though I have done it at work!

Annie0904
21-01-13, 12:55
When I have a hot drink I sometimes sit holding the cup on my face...people must think I am mad! (no comments please :) )

shellyruby40
21-01-13, 21:28
Hi

I had chronic sinusitus for 10 years before I actually did something about sorting the cause - a deviated septum (middle bit of your nose). In that time I was staggered by how and where the pain and swelling would manifest itself. The nasal sprays do work if used consistantly over a period of time. I was told that I could still use the over the counter decongestants, but to do so only when at its worst as over time I had developed an allegy to them, which made the inside of my nose swell.

Inhaling steam is meant to help, but I found warm showers were better, especially if u let the water run off your face, or whereever you feel most congested. Although a bit disgusting, I found that blowing my nose in the shower helped to clear a lot of blockages. No tissues, just block one nostril and blow. The water cleans it all up!

A hot water bottle (warm water only, or u scold - found that out the hard way) applied to the face is also very soothing, though not suitable for use in public, even though I have done it at work!

i didnt think of a hot water bottle..i will have a go with that..
i looked up about the septum before but cant see anything in mine except that both sides look really narrow.. did you know yours was deviated or did you found out at the drs...one thing ive found with the spray is that nothing seems to come out now when i blow my nose..ive not needed to blow it like before,dont know whether thats good or bad lol,i hate hate the pressure i can feel on the bridge of my nose and inside my nose and on the outsides,i even looked up about tapping the sinus to release the pressure.ive tried it and am trying to be positive i will wake up pain free.
thanks very much for your reply and am sorry you had to suffer so long with your pain,did the surgery work for you,

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

When I have a hot drink I sometimes sit holding the cup on my face...people must think I am mad! (no comments please :) )
Annie that made me laugh.as i was reading i realised i was doing that very same thing with my cup and that ive been doing it for the last 3 weeks.
anything to soothe that pain away.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 21:31
:D x

PinkRoxy
23-01-13, 08:53
My dad has bad sinuses all the time but I think Beagle has explained everything my dad does himself anyway.

He also usually makes up some salt water and puts them in old nasal spray bottles and sprays salt water constantly for a whole day up his nose to clean it out. He has made them for me too.

The bowl of boiling steam water is good you lean over it with a towel on your head to block out the air and breath in the steam slowly.

My dad also has tried a sinus rinse which he puts salt water down his nose and it comes out of his mouth while he is leaning over the sink, he does that just about on a daily basis. I personally don't like it so I don't do it.

But mid last year I did too have a swollen nose it looked swollen and it felt like someone had punched me in the nose it was that painful. It went away on its own but I definitely think it was sinus related.

Anyway all the best with it

shellyruby40
26-01-13, 00:11
My dad has bad sinuses all the time but I think Beagle has explained everything my dad does himself anyway.

He also usually makes up some salt water and puts them in old nasal spray bottles and sprays salt water constantly for a whole day up his nose to clean it out. He has made them for me too.

The bowl of boiling steam water is good you lean over it with a towel on your head to block out the air and breath in the steam slowly.

My dad also has tried a sinus rinse which he puts salt water down his nose and it comes out of his mouth while he is leaning over the sink, he does that just about on a daily basis. I personally don't like it so I don't do it.

But mid last year I did too have a swollen nose it looked swollen and it felt like someone had punched me in the nose it was that painful. It went away on its own but I definitely think it was sinus related.

Anyway all the best with it

thank you Pinkroxy,thats exactly how mine feels..i went back 2 drs the other day because i was getting so freaked out..she gave me script for more antibios which im not taking..the 2 lots i took didnt work and when i blow my nose its clear[sorry tmi lol]
she gave me another type of steroid drop but it gave me such a bad headache have gone back to the nasonx.the strange thing was the day after i used the headache giving drops cheek felt a bit the next day.i dont know whether it was that or it was start to get better its still rotten with the pain in nose and stuffy and constant headache..but only a bit because i still feel so miserable..im so glad you said that about your nose..dr tried to say maybe the bump has always been there[like i wouldnt realise] she said its not a lymp node or cancer..i wasnt really worried about those 2 thing just dont like not knowing what it is..she did say that the slight swelling on the cheek was still there but i assume its just imflammation now as another dr had said that and had made me blow my nose to see lol..its been 4 weeks today and i dont think its ever going to go.do you remember how long the swelling lasted for..when i look up nose i can see where the swelling on the side of the nose sort of is..both sides look narrow to me..
i ordered a neti pot today..im desperate for some relief from it.
many thanks for your reply..i was panicking a bit earlier and was being pathetic googling nose cartalidge and swelling etc..why wont i learn.
i cant recover from this h/a episode until this has gone or at least when the swelling goes down i can breathe a sign of relief..and then hopefully tackle the anxiety problems after that..id bought 2 books on anxiety and have been reading then when i was really anxious but they dont seem to help much when in the grip of hypo

i didnt know whether to take the antibiotics..but the pain over my cheek isnt as bad as it was.hope this is because its slowley getting better now ive been use the steroid spray for nearly 3 weeks now..im frightened to take the antibiotics because am so scared over side effects or allergic reactions as had probs with antibiotics in the past[not sure if they were real or they were anxiety attacks]..i had eurothroymycin and metrondiazole high doses and that didnt help.dr gave me claritrymycin but she didnt even look up my nose like the last dr.she gave me a cursory glance..the other dr i saw said i could give you antibiotic after antibiotic and gave me the steroid nasal spray..
sorry ive droned on and on..its a relief to get it all out[if only i could get it all our of my nose as well lol]thank you so much for all replies.
xx