PDA

View Full Version : Hernia?

Tonijade
20-01-13, 23:42
Hi everyone,
I am a long time lurker on here. I have suffered from health anxiety since the birth of my second child 4 years ago. Before that it was more general anxiety. I underwent CBT 2 years ago but didn't find it that helpful after a few months.
I am going through a bad patch at the moment. A while ago I noticed a strange sensation in my tummy about 2 -3 inches left of my tummy button and a bit above. It's hard to describe, painless but like something us rolling there for a few seconds. It happens when i sometimes cough or stretch Yesterday I coughed and saw a lump appear that disappeared after. I have also had a dull tummy ache and bubbles in my tummy for the last 4 days. Anyway I went to an urgent care centre today as I stupidly spent hours last night googling my symptoms. The doctor there thinks I may have a hernia. I have to go to the gp to get an ultrasound booked. I am absolutely petrified that he has hot it wrong and its a tumour or something. In the past I have thought I have had heart and lung problems but my main fear now is cancer, In the past it's been oral cancer I have focused on but now I'm worried about lymphoma. I keep trying to rationalise my feelings but it's so hard, as I am sure many of you know! I am not on meds as they have always made me feel so drowsy. I just needed to get this off my chest and say hello really! Toni x

Daisy Sue
20-01-13, 23:53
i had a stomach hernia years back, & had it repaired, and i think your doc has made a pretty accurate guess given your symptoms... only sounds like a little one though, if it is one at all. it may just be a muscle spasm.

please try to put the cancer scare aside, in my opinion you've got a classic muscular cause & effect thing going on - you cough, that puts pressure on your stomach wall, and muscles or slight hernia can react the way you're seeing and feeling.

Tonijade
21-01-13, 00:06
Thank you. I am going to see my gp tomorrow and hope she says the same. It hurts a bit sometimes but that may be in my head. Its also the thought of surgery that scares me but I will deal with that if it comes to it. I just wish I could stop thinking the worst all the time. I was doing so well until this! Going to sleep now, hope I feel better tomorrow xxx

Daisy Sue
21-01-13, 00:10
sleep well, and i hope you feel better soon too! :)

isybelle
21-01-13, 16:47
I have a large inscisional hernia where I had a colostomy bag. I have all sortsnofndd snesationsnin the area. Sometimesnits like a baby kicking :/ I'm due to haven't repaired thismkonth but starting to think I've been forgotten about tbh.

It sounds like a hernia hun and not cancer like at all x

Tonijade
21-01-13, 20:23
Thank you both! I went to see my GP today and explained what the hospital doctor had said. He felt around and said he could feel a dip in my abdominal muscle but typically the 'thing' wouldn't pop out when I wanted it to! He has referred me for an ultrasound of the area. He said it could be a hernia or it could be a tear in my muscle but I think hernia is more likely as I have seen the bulge myself. Pretty scared to have surgery if it is as I have never been under anaesthetic before but hopefully they will give me some sort of pre med. I hate goitres anxiety, I was doing so well recently now I seem to be a wreck again, I have a constant dull ache that they think is the anxiety but I always worry that they will put everything down to that! Hopefully my scan appointment comes through soon and I'll get a definite answer xx