PDA

View Full Version : WHO is responsible??

trevor
01-09-06, 07:42
hi guys,,

please could someone advise me WHO is responsible for refering me to a CBT because my doctor says he is not and a physciatrist i have seen 3 times says he isnt or cant ????

the doctor says its the physciatrists responsabilaty and the physciatrist nsays its the doctors responsabilaty (see a joke somewhere here ),

i am confused and all the time i have no life and still suffering all they both want to do is offer me drugs which i dont want<<

any advice please,,

thanks trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

manmoor
01-09-06, 07:47
Hey Trevor,

I had cbt years ago and it was my doctor that referred me for it. I also dont like meds have you tried any of the natural remedies? Please pm me if you want to chat. Dont suffer in silence as we are all here for you. Thinking of you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

alicia123
01-09-06, 09:14
Hi Trevor,

The usual route is for your GP to refer you to a psychologist and then the psychologist decides whether CBT will be right for you. If your GP won't refer you change your GP.

Note, I said psychologist. A psychiatrist is, in my opinion, simply a medically qualified drug pusher, so that is what they will offer you. As Mandy said, drugs are not the answer for everyone, and there are lots of alternatives out there.

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
www.alphadynamics.com

nomorepanic
01-09-06, 09:37
My GP referred me to a psychotherapist and she referred me on for CBT.

It must come from the GP to begin with though.

Nicola

poppy
01-09-06, 09:41
Hi,
My doctor refered me to CBT. I have been waiting 23months now to see someone. I dont know if the waiting list is differant where you are but you could always ask your doctor to refer you to a CPN in the meantime while you are waiting for the CBT.
I think its the doctors place to refer you though.
Take Care
Poppy

polly daydream
01-09-06, 10:26
Hi Trev, you sound like you have got a very none understanding dr, my advice is change as soon as you can!

Take care,

Polly

Meg
01-09-06, 15:00
Either can - usually its the GP who refers you to the CMHT and they then assess you.

If in desperation ring the local CMHT yourself and ask what is their preferred procedure and then get their name and use it to your advantage with your Gp etc to get a personally addressed referral

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

darkangel
01-09-06, 17:06
hi trevor

i was referred by my gp to a psychologist who referred me to all the various therapists - cbt, emdr cpn and local mental health team. it was the gp who took control of my medication and the rest who dealt with my emotional issues.

darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

EebyJeeby
01-09-06, 17:42
My GP referred me for psychotherapy (which included some CBT) at a local Centre for Healthy Living. This centre had counsellors and a whole array of complementary therapists too.

My GP told me to make an appointment myself, which I did, and I was seen within the week!

I did pay for it myself initially (got it back through company health insurance), as it is not an NHS funded centre, but they did do concessionary rates for those on low incomes, which I thought was good. Psychotherapy rates for people on benefits etc were as little as £7 per session. Good stuff.

This was in Hertfordshire.

Eeb x

trac67
01-09-06, 19:05
Hi Trevor,

I was also referred by my doctor for my CBT course.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

alicia123
02-09-06, 09:51
Just out of curiousity, how many people who had CBT found that it worked for them? I had it several years ago and it didn't do a thing, but I'm sure it must work for some people.

alicia

www.alphadynamics.com

trevor
03-09-06, 08:51
hey,,

thank you all for your replies,

i WILL now get on my drs back and hopefulkly he will refer me,,

will keep you posted,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

evenflow
04-09-06, 21:49
hi trevor
my gp was unhelpful and i've already had a rant about docs on this site! i'm in east london and the waiting list for cbt from a gp referral was 9 months..i ended up paying for 3 sessions asap and they transformed my understanding of what i am going through.
all the best

clickaway
04-09-06, 22:55
Hi Trevor,

If you still have trouble with your GP, get in touch with your local PALS and they will sort it.

http://www.pals.nhs.uk/members/officeSearch.aspx

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

net
05-09-06, 18:16
physchiatrists medicate
pshychologists treat the condition and refer you to somewhere.
i found the only way i could get help was to take my mother in the drs with me and have her tell him i was getting worse and needed help.

alicia i had cbt and it didnt work for me either

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

alicia123
06-09-06, 19:48
Yep, Netty, I recall reading somewhere that CBT had around a 30% success rate which is not bad for the 30% for whom it works but not good for the 70% for whom it doesn't.

I think as well that it depends upon the skill of the therapist, and like all professions psychology has its good and bad. Has it worked for anyone on here?

alicia

www.alphadynamics.com

W.I.F.T.S.
07-09-06, 10:17
I had kind of the same problem too. My doctor refused to refer me to CBT because she said that the waiting list was too long and it didn't work anyway. Eventually, I saw another doctor, who referred me immediately and I was seeing a counsellor within about 6 weeks!

I've been on the list to see a psychiatrist for a while and I've got an appointment for October- I'm actually pretty nervous about it.

i would suggest to keep trying, another doctor, the head of the department... whatever it takes to get the treatment that you need and deserve.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.