PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone recovered and what was it like?

Kathy
01-09-06, 08:08
Hello all

Ive had my anxiety problem now for coming up to seven months. During that time I have had two periods when I felt good - one for 9 days and the most recent one, which Im in now, for 11 days. Although I do feel niggles creeping back in.

There was no warning, had a really bad day and then woke one morning feeling different. I was quite scared at first of this different feeling and wondered "could this be normal me?" and frightened that it would vanish in a puff of smoke. Almost felt that my bad and anxious state was more comfortable because that was what I was used to. After a few days I just relaxed and enjoyed myself, realising that yes, this is what it is like to feel like my old self. The anxiety almost felt like a distant memory - no stomach churning, sweating, pounding heart, dizziness. And best of all the negative automatic thoughts faded away and when they came just slid off like my mind was coated in teflon - I didnt dwell or ruminate on them, and they produced no physical effect. The best thing of all was waking up and just thinking about the day for the first time in 7 months instead of waking with anxiety.

I feel like I am on the verge of "going back" now though. Im waking with thoughts that upset and frighten me and the intrusive thoughts are sticking around longer. Im trying to think oh well, let it come if it will but of course Im a bit disappointed.

My question is, how does recovery actually feel and could I be on my way?

KathXX

alicia123
01-09-06, 09:08
Hi Kath,

Having been 'in remission' now for over six months without a single panic attack and practically zero anxiety I can tell you that I have myself back at last!:D:D:D

I suffered for many years with anxiety and PAs and during that time there were brief periods when I felt 'normal' - when I had had a few sessions of hypnotherapy for instance, or when I first took Seroxat before it stopped working. I had exactly the same negative thinking and it was what made me realise that I had to get to the causes of my anxiety rather than just plastering over the cracks with drugs and half-hearted attempts to get to the bottom of it all, and trust me, I had tried pretty much everything by this time.

It could be that you are recovering spontaneously because some people do and you haven't had it for very long so I hope that is the case.
Just keep a positive attitude and if you want to know what's causing it get the free stress ebook from the address below - it was what started me on my road to recovery and the stress CDs knocked it all on the head.

You can recover from this, it is not permanent, all you have to do is find the right way for you. Good luck![^]

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
www.alphadynamics.com

tulip123
01-09-06, 09:08
For me - recovery is a process that is not straight forward. You will encounter blips on the way but thats just the mind testing the water from time to time. Its like pinching yourself in a dream to see if you are going to wake up. But yes recovery is genuine and you will get back to your normal self very soon. Try and stay positive.

Tulip

W.I.F.T.S.
01-09-06, 12:08
For me, the anxiety causes the depression. I believe that I feel anxious because I'm a negative thinker, I'm passive and I don't do enough to relax or to build my confidence.

Recently, I have been feeling better. Last night was the best drive home from work that I remember in years (it helps that my car radio is now working again) and this morning I felt pretty good too.

I guess that recovery comes from relaxing the body- 'an anxious mind cannot exist within a relaxed body'- once your shoulders are no longer hunched up around your neck and your buttocks are no longer clenched it becomes a lot more difficult to feel panicky.

Then it's a matter of turning the negative thoughts into positive ones and about challenging the fears that have severely limited and restricted our lives.

I think that the secret is to remember what you did to get better and to keep doing it even when you are well. Being calm and positive are skills, the more that you practice them the better you will become at them. When you stop practicing you quickly become rusty but, the positive thing is that you learned what you needed to learn, so it should just be like riding a bike for you.

I think that you have done remarkably well and that this is just a blip.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Meg
01-09-06, 14:57
Kathy

The automatic negaitive thoughts are not as automatic as all that . You subconciously create them and perpetuate them and you can challenge them.
Its great that you don't mind them coming but ensure that you don't engage or dwell on their content.

Enjoy your calm days and keep hold of those feeling and remember that this recovery can be rocky and bumpy and its fine and indeed normal to have good stretches and a few rough stumbling ones

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress