PDA

View Full Version : ATOS medical

Annie0904
21-01-13, 19:48
Can anyone who has been for one give me some advise please? I have mine on 1st February and I am getting quite anxious about it. What sort of things will they ask etc.

clio51
21-01-13, 19:54
Annie
if you go on workandbenefits site it's all about benefits atos Tec tells you what to expect.

from what my sister went through, hope you get somebody better she ended up on zero points with heart failure, bad hip(which she as done Feb) plus other illnesses.
but I see your going back to work so that no the same for you, she is on ESA

Annie0904
21-01-13, 19:57
Yes I am hoping to go back to work on a phased return on 11th February.

Dazza123
21-01-13, 21:39
SNAP!!!!!

1st February, 3.05pm :ohmy:

Annie, Im not going to scare you, but my 1st one last year was pretty bad. The nurse I saw was a witch with a capital B. Though they are not all like this, I have heard good and bad stories.

Basically, its questions that require Yes or No. Thats it, they do not want you to elaborate, and there are no grey areas, Yes or No. Its basically the questions that were on the form you filled in.

Can you do this..... Yes or No. If your answer would be Maybe, then you say no, cos Maybe means yes.

It isnt a person you are speaking to, its a computer that is processing you, the person just asks the questions and types in the answers.

I am going with a letter from my doctor describing my illness, and a letter from my Psychiatrist. I have 3 support group descriptors due to my swallowing problem and social anxiety, and it wont be easy to convince them of this, which is why I am armed with my letters. If they think they can pass you fit they will.

The lady (and I say that loosely) that I saw gave me 12 points, so failed me and said I was fit for work. It then goes to a decision maker at the DWP who reviews your EAS50 (the form you fill in) and the notes from the person who assessed you. My decision maker disagreed with the witch and gave me 18 points and recommended reassessment in 12 months which is the end of March, yet im up there a week Friday.

The 'lady' I saw was rude, and I got fed up with her, so started to argue and shout at her cos she made it clear she didnt believe me, she didnt flinch, so hard faced, I honestly felt like strangling her, Im amazed I didnt.

She also fired questions at me and before I could answer one she was on another question, trying to confuse me and make me say other things, but it didnt work because I was honest with her. I dont need to lie about my illness because its real, and I held onto that thought. I told her if she didnt believe me to come and live with me for a week to see what I was like, I told her she'd be running for the hills in 5 minutes.

This time I am worse than before, plus I have the Dysphagia so they have no chance, try as they might they will not be pushing me onto JSA because I am ill and I have lots of proof so although id rather not have to be assessed again, I am confident in myself.

This time I got an advice agency to help me with the form, so if it all goes wrong they will support me with any appeals and attend these appeals with me as they have legal reps who help and support, I shouldnt need this, but Im taking no chances this time.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 21:43
I am pleased you have told me all this before I go. Are you allowed to take someone in with you? My stepdaughter said she will go with me because I can't cope with things like this without someone I know with me. My appointment is 10am

Dazza123
21-01-13, 21:49
Yep, she can go in, she can confirm things for you and agree with what you say, if you need her to confirm things like if she has to do things for you or with you they seem happy with that, but she cant answer for you cos the person you see wont allow it usually, but she can definitely be there to support you, and it will make you feel better, you will feel stronger with that support sat next to you.

Bear (or is it bare?) in mind that you might have a great assessor who understands your situation, they are not all bad, but remember Annie, a lot of them are smiling assassins, dont let them fool you and dont let them answer for you or put words into your mouth.

Im hoping I get the same lady as I did last time, it will be a meeting to remember if I do because she lied on my report and I will pull her up on it cos im taking last years report with me.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 21:54
Thank you very much for your advise, hopefully I will be prepared. The thing is I am going to try to go back to work on 11th Feb but they said I still have to go for the appointment on 1st. I called to see if I could wait to see how my return to work goes and they said no.

Dazza123
21-01-13, 21:58
Something else Annie, if you tell them you are planning a phased return to work on the 11th then you are telling them there is nothing wrong with you because you have plans to go back to work.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

You can cancel your first appointment, and wait for another, this might give you a fortnight or so which might cover you for a few days whilst you try work?

Annie0904
21-01-13, 21:58
Ah well I will just have to see how it goes. Occupational Health said I just try a phased return so I am. I am hoping it will work out because I would like to get back to work.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

They said if I cancel it may affect my payments.

Dazza123
21-01-13, 22:00
Well, the good thing is, if you fail, and work fails (hopefully it wont) then you can appeal, and that way they still pay you, so it will all be ok anyway so no stress and no worry there ok, also the decision can take a while to come through, I was told 2-3 weeks for my decision, it took them 3 months.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 22:01
Well hopefully they will be slow with mine too :)

Dazza123
21-01-13, 22:01
If you rang on the day and said you were ill, they can do nothing apart from cancel and rebook, they are just trying to scare you, its what they do.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 22:04
I think I would rather just get it over with. I don't know why they just can't believe our gp's

Dazza123
21-01-13, 22:09
Cos they are (insert expletive here)

Just remember to take it easy, go at your pace, not theirs, and think about your reply before you reply, dont let them fluster you, or rush you. Be confident, you know your illness, they dont. Read, and read again the descriptors, find the ones that apply to you, and stick with it, and make sure they are aware of these descriptors when you go in, maybe print them out, take it with you and read from it as you answer and tell them that this/that descriptor applies to you because....

My tablets are making me feel weird today so if my replies are a bit all over the place then thats why, just be confident in yourself and your illness, and express this to them, but read those descriptors Annie, they are what matters, thats all the computer is interested in.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 22:10
I will probably end up just sitting and crying anyway :(

Dazza123
21-01-13, 22:16
Just dont hold back, or try to keep yourself composed, if you feel like crying then cry, be yourself, they need to see the real you and see how it all affects you. When Im anxious and stressed I can get angry, I hold back usually (im not violent, or abusive etc) Im just not nice to be around, so if thats how I feel on the day then they will see that.

Annie0904
21-01-13, 22:20
I just end up crying and not being able to say anything.

Fenrir
21-01-13, 22:23
This will sound silly, but dont worry about it.
I had mine on 6th November, the fail notice didnt arrive until 18th December.
You'll be back at work long before.
0/15 was my score. They fail most everyone, that's their job.

If you're back at work on the 11th theres absolutely no point in worrying.
Get a friend family member to rebook on the day, they can tell ATOS you're in bed crying and dont want to talk to anyone let alone leave the house.
Take care and dont worry.:)

Dazza123
21-01-13, 22:28
Just get some inner strength ready, and show them how your illness makes you feel, it will all be fine, you know whats wrong, make sure you let them know and understand you, its all you can do. I will be thinking of you, it will take my mind off 3.05pm :doh:

Annie0904
21-01-13, 22:33
I hope yours goes better this time Dazza, will report to you when I get back :)

cheziecat
21-01-13, 23:15
I've been through 2 of these and got zero points both times, I got a copy of the drs report from the first one and he actually wrote that I wasnt suffering from anxiety because I wasn't rocking backwards and forwards!
For my second one I took my mental health worker with me which really helped, I don't think the dr took any notice of a word he said but it made me feel better having the support. My anxiety was really bad during my 2nd one and it always causes a tight knot and cramping in my stomach and at least this time the dr did admit I looked anxious!
Basically if you can get through a "normal" day then you are fine to work, at the time of my 2nd medical I was homeless and living in a bed and breakfast, I was having very frequent meetings with my mental health worker and was self harming, I was in no fit state to work, I could barely get through the day most days. They try and trick you into things, like they said do I use facebook, yes, well then you can communicate effectively, he asked me what I'd done at xmas and I said I'd spent it with my sister in Liverpool, ok so that means you can travel long distances without support. It even came down to watching tv, if you have the concentration level to watch tv then you can work.
They will ask if you shower everyday, what time you go to bed and get up, whether you cook for yourself, wash your clothes, clean your house etc.
It seems to me the only way you can get through this with enough points is to say you lie in bed all day staring at the ceiling or sleeping, you don't wash, cook, use a phone or computer or read or watch tv.
Totally ridiculous system and having watched 2 documentary's on the subject and how they "train" the drs made me sooooo mad.
Anyway, sorry if I've rambled on a bit!
Hope some of that helps, and hope your phased return to work goes well :)
Chezie

Daisy Sue
21-01-13, 23:42
i had one last year... i got a real dork of a doctor who had absolutely no personality whatsoever.. made me feel like i was just expected to churn out answers like a robot. some of my issues are not so cut & dried, and i was trying to explain, but she interrupted me twice by just repeating the question. very rude. i felt quite intimidated..

however, i got a phone call from the assessor some time later, who wanted more info, and i did get accepted for the benefit in the end, so it worked out ok.

good luck with yours... a couple of tips, take any meds you're on with you, plus anything else medical that you carry around with you, & maybe a written list of doctors you're under with their addresses/phone numbers on.. they do ask you for specific info at one point on things like that.

Annie0904
22-01-13, 00:21
Thank you for all the advise everyone. I have a letter from my gp plus occ health report which states that I will probably never be cured from anxiety and that a lot depends on the intense psychotherapy I am having at the moment. I will also take all my meds. Can't really do much more than that. It doesnt seem a very good assessment to me and maybe we should be complaining to our mp's about it.

Fenrir
22-01-13, 01:12
Lack of "rocking back and forth" was just 1 of the reasons i failed.
Show up, rock back n forth, mumble and continually ask them to repeat things.
Dont shave, shower or bathe and wear a robe n slippers.
Should get you at least 1 point, agoraphobia, social anxiety, GAD and Anorexia Nervosa did'nt get me any points.
Good Luck. :hugs:

Annie0904
22-01-13, 11:13
It is just so ridiculous. Luckily I have a husband working full time so if I don't manage to cope with being back at work we will still have some income. My heart goes out to those of you who don't.

Dazza123
22-01-13, 11:22
Lack of "rocking back and forth" was just 1 of the reasons i failed.
Show up, rock back n forth, mumble and continually ask them to repeat things.
Dont shave, shower or bathe and wear a robe n slippers.
Should get you at least 1 point, agoraphobia, social anxiety, GAD and Anorexia Nervosa did'nt get me any points.
Good Luck. :hugs:

I got my report too, and it stated I wasnt rocking back and forth so showed no signs of anxiety. I dont rock back and forth, I tap my foot and rub my leg when im anxious, constantly, of which I did, but they conveniently didnt notice this. This time I am more than ready for them, I just hope for their sake I dont lose my temper, because if I do, I wont hold back. They want to see what we are really like, and when I go there they will.

Chester
22-01-13, 11:24
I'm still having my claim assessed. Put it in on 27th November and they are still 'investigating'. Everytime I ring them I get a 'ring back in a few days'

Dazza123
22-01-13, 11:29
Whats worrying me Annie is the fact that you are planning a phased return to work. If you tell them this, you are basically saying you are fit for work, they will take this and run with it, and so they will give you 0 points. Like I said you can appeal, but you will get the assessment rate of £71 a week I think, and appeal does take quite some time, so you wont be without money. But unfortunately, your honesty isnt going to do you any favours, it will go against you. They dont want you on ESA, and being honest with them is doing them a favour, not you.

Annie0904
22-01-13, 11:38
I don't rock back and forth either but my fingers are a mess because I constantly pick at the skin round my nails :( I am getting £71 a week from them at the moment. I guess it will take some time to get the report back by which time I will know if I am ok back at work and if not I can then appeal.

Chester
22-01-13, 14:01
The whole ATOS thing, which I know is going through Parliament at the moment, really gets my goat up. It's just so infuriating.

They make you feel like a worthless liar. I would work in an underground mine as opposed to feeling like I do some days!

Outrageous

Annie0904
22-01-13, 14:08
The whole ATOS thing, which I know is going through Parliament at the moment, really gets my goat up. It's just so infuriating.

They make you feel like a worthless liar. I would work in an underground mine as opposed to feeling like I do some days!

Outrageous

I am really not looking forward to mine now but I really think we should pressure our MP's to have the system changed.

Angelai
22-01-13, 15:15
These people are not doctors - as others have said, they are there just to ask you yes/no questions and tick the boxes on the screen. They will try to catch you out though. Just be honest about how your illness affects you (but I agree, don't tell them you are planning a phased return to work).

My first one of these was about 4 years ago. I was declared 'unfit for work' based on my mental health, no further questions. A year later, they sent me forms, I filled them in, a few weeks later they wrote back saying they didn't need to see me as my condition hadn't improved - I was still unfit for work. My honest opinion is that many of you on here are much more debilitated than I was - it seems so unfair that you are having to jump through so many hoops just to be believed. That said.... my mum has COPD, chronic asthma, arthritis, depression and anxiety. She uses a nebuliser for her chest problems (4 - 6 times a day) and can't walk up stairs or even on the flat for very long without having to rest. She is on about 8 different daily meds, as well as extra steroids and antibiotics maybe 4 times every year, she can hardly move in the mornings because of joint pain and stiffness. You get the idea. She 'failed' her assessment 4 months before her 60th birthday (and therefore retirement age) and was forced to sign on for JSA. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Her doctor went absolutely crazy and was writing them letters and threatening legal action, they wouldn't back down. In the end, mum was lucky enough to get an intelligent advisor at the job centre who just told her to sign on the dotted line every fortnight, no questions asked.

These people are not medical professionals, they are agents working under contract for the dwp. Do not be intimidated by them, and remember that they have no right to judge you - they are there to ask the questions only. It makes me so mad that our gp's word isn't enough, and what a slap in the face for them after all their years of training!

Annie0904
22-01-13, 16:03
I agree Angelai it should be our GP's making the decision, not someone who has never even seen or spoken to us before.

Dazza123
22-01-13, 17:59
As I said earlier Annie, read the descriptors thoroughly, find the ones that apply to you, either work related or support group, and express this strongly to them, its descriptors that matter, nothing else, you could walk in with your arm falling off and no legs, and they'd pass you fit for work because that isnt a descriptor. Its descriptor descriptor descriptor, that is what the computer wants, it wont reason with you, or let you argue with it, it just wants a tick in the correct box, and as long as it does you will be fine. Also watch for the trick questions, also she accidently pushed a pen off the table when I was there, and it landed at my feet, so I picked it up for her, all innocent, but it wasnt, she was checking if I had back issues, of which I dont, and have never attempted to pretend I had, so cant understand why she did that, but she did. They also invent questions to catch you out, I told her I had a dog, bare in mind I told her I dont leave the house, and had told her this 100 times, she then goes on to ask if my dog likes going for walks, how far do she like to walk each day etc etc, well If I dont go out then my dog doesnt go for a walk does she, I have a small dog and a very large garden so dont need to take her out, but then she asked how often do I have a takeaway, how long does it take me to walk there, I told her I dont eat them, then where is my nearest corner shop, is it far from the house, how quickly can I get there and back, thats when I started shouting at her. You tell them you dont go out, then they come back with a question about 'when you go out'. I hate them.

Annie0904
22-01-13, 18:09
not looking forward to it but will let you all know how it goes and will try to follow your advise.

Granny Primark
22-01-13, 18:22
I passed and got more than enuf points. However I got my allowance stopped because they reckon my hubbies wages are enuf for us to live on. I was working over 60 hours a week when I became ill with panic attacks. Also ive got a disability due to a car crash. I feel cheated. sorry for the whinge. good luck xxxxx

Annie0904
22-01-13, 21:10
After telling my brother in law all that you have told me he said "To be honest, if you just act normal you will easily qualify"! The cheeky thing :roflmao: at least he got me to laugh :D

Dazza123
22-01-13, 22:41
Funny, but sadly not true lol if they saw what I can be like I'd be locked up, and the witch still failed me! You are forewarned now, so be prepared, if they smile be on your guard, smiling assassins remember, also there is at least a 1% chance you might get a decent one, just don't count on it. Be strong, you know you're ill and you know your illness. Make sure you relay it, and also remember I'm in at 3.05 so say a little prayer for me yeah :hugs: lol

Annie0904
22-01-13, 23:13
I will do Dazza. I will let you know when I get back from mine then will think of you going for yours.

Annie0904
25-01-13, 13:39
I am getting so anxious about this that I contacted them to request a home visit. They say they will only do a home visit if my doctor sends a letter. I told them I have already sent a letter from my GP saying what my condition is and that he is doing home visits and I should not be expected to attend any meetings. Apparently that is not good enough! It has to say I can NEVER leave the house!!! Obviously I am not going to ask my GP to do that as it is not true. I do have some good days where I CAN leave the house but not very often. I have now contacted my local MP who will contact ATOS and help me with the process. I would really urge everyone else here to contact their MP's as we are being discriminated here due to the assessors having NO understanding of our mental health conditions. I was crying on the phone to ATOS and the woman was so cold and uncaring.

kittikat
25-01-13, 13:49
That is disgusting Annie :lac: I hope your MP will be of some help to you. Good luck :hugs: xx

Annie0904
25-01-13, 13:59
Honestly kittikat at the moment I don't think it is worth the stress of going to the meeting as I don't think it will go to my advantage if I do or don't! My MP has already brought the issues up in Parliament and is fighting for the assessments to be changed.

Annie0904
31-01-13, 16:38
My MP has just called me and said that she has had a reply from ATOS saying I have to go to the medical. I had phoned them when I first got the appointment (before I knew what they are like!) and asked if it was necessary to go to the meeting as I was considering a phased return to work next month. They must have made a note of that :( so are saying if I can plan to go back to work then I can get to the assessment! I would like to get back to work but don't know if I will be able to until I try! Anyone else be careful what you say as it looks like they make notes of everything! Now I am worried sick about tomorrow...even more so as I have a works sickness review tomorrow afternoon :(

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

And I know this is silly at my age but I am worried they are going to get annoyed with me for contacting my MP :(

Dazza123
31-01-13, 17:00
Annie, they dont care what you do/did, they will just ask a bunch of questions, you answer yes or no, if they think they can catch you out on something they will push further with it, then they say goodbye and you leave.

They dont even see you as a person, you are a number, a payment, a statistic, they probably wont even know you contacted your MP, and even if they do it wont affect them or their attitude towards you, because they simply dont care enough to get involved, so dont worry about that!!

I honestly believe you will be fine at the assessment, it will be a relief when its over mind, but stay strong and you will cope.

On another note, I picked up my letters from my Doctor and Psychiatrist today and they are brilliant, so tomorrow I am not going to worry or panic, Im going in, telling the truth, and then leaving to come home and have a cup of tea.

Annie0904
31-01-13, 17:06
I don't even know why I am getting stressed as it is no big deal to me if I 'pass' or not. I think what worries me most is the fact that whenever I am in a situation where I am having to answer a load of questions it reminds me of my ex husband and I panic. I just feel intimidated at these things and don't know how to change my thoughts on them. After that I then have to go to work for my sickness review and have more questions asked. Oh well it will all be over with by this time tomorrow :)

Tessar
31-01-13, 23:20
The best advice I can give (not that I'm an expert of course not having had one.......)mould (predictive text....should say "would") be just to be yourself. I don't know what else to say except I hope it goes ok my friend. Think of all your friends here holding your hand. You'll probably get cramp since there'll be a lot of hands to hold and I',m really now sure that those atos peepers (oops predictive text for you... That was supposed to say "peeps"!!!!!) would want millions of your nmp mates in their waiting room

Dazza123
31-01-13, 23:32
Annie, if you start to panic tomorrow before the assessment, just think of me being dragged out of my appt by security, because thats what gonna happen if I get the same (b)witch that I saw last time, you know, the rude one who basically told me she didnt believe me, and then lied on my form. Ive told the other half to keep the car running just in case I need to make a quick getaway before the cops arrive pmsl

Dazza123
01-02-13, 08:27
GOOD LUCK ANNIE!!!! :hugs:

oh no_1
01-02-13, 08:43
hope the medical goes okay today

Janine
01-02-13, 09:44
annie, hope all goes well today xxx

Granny Primark
01-02-13, 10:00
Good luck. Hope all goes well.

flossie
01-02-13, 10:47
Good luck today Annie and Dazza.
I am waiting for a date for my medical. They phoned end of Nov. to say my medical will be in the new year so I would have thought I'd heard from them by now. I already asked my GP to confirm that I would be unable to travel to the centre when I filled in the form so a home assessment has been agreed already. She also told me to expect to fail but not to worry as I just need to contact her straight away as she will not agree that I am fit for work. As if I won't worry! What a waste of our GPs time and money this all is and I really do wonder at the compassion of our government and their supporters who threaten the health and wellbeing of the more vulnerable. They should be giving us more help not making us more ill.
Anyway, I hope you both get on OK and let us know how it all went.

Dazza123
01-02-13, 11:53
Thanks flossie, I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof today, appt at 3.05pm, annoyed that I have to wait so long, I'm ready for them and armed with 7 letters from health professionals so I'm not personally worried, I'm just itching to get there and get it done :)

AuntieMoosie
02-02-13, 02:47
Annie and Dazza......how did you both get on today???

I do hope that it went well for you both, been thinking about you both :)