PDA

View Full Version : 'Time to change' the new media campaign

CarmR
22-01-13, 00:46
Hello everyone

I was unsure where to post this but here it is anyway...I hope the Link works..
I have saw one or two of the adverts on the new Mental Health Campaign on TV and have looked into it more...has anyone saw them?.
I think it's a fantastic thing, its main focus is to stop the Stigma that goes with Mental Heath problems and to raise awareness,etc...

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/news-media/celebrity-supporters

It's about time and way overdue that more is done to help anyone who suffers

The more people who see this the better and it cheered me up big time!

Thanks for reading everyone x

kittikat
22-01-13, 00:56
Thank you for sharing, I use this site a lot and find it very helpful. Their TV ads are brilliant too.

It's great they are using high profile names to tell their stories, help reduce the stigma and raise awareness. Every little helps, as they say!! :yesyes:

BobbyDog
22-01-13, 06:25
This is fantastic, I have joined time to change and have pledged to talk more openly about my mental health problems and to ask others who suffer how they are feeling.

CarmR
22-01-13, 14:33
Yeah it's a really positive thing!, especially with the famous/celebrities getting involved because it will be in the public eye more...and people will hopefully take more notice..:yesyes:

NoPoet
22-01-13, 18:22
The slogan "It's time to change" should be the starting point for any sufferer of anxiety or depression.

I believe that we become ill with these things because there is something wrong with the way we are living our lives or the way we see the world. Changing these things is the only way to ensure we can recover without risking a relapse.

Sparkle1984
22-01-13, 19:41
The slogan "It's time to change" should be the starting point for any sufferer of anxiety or depression.

I believe that we become ill with these things because there is something wrong with the way we are living our lives or the way we see the world. Changing these things is the only way to ensure we can recover without risking a relapse.

I agree that anxiety and depression is often caused by problems in someone's life (eg relationship problems) or the way someone sees the world. But what about people who try their best to live their life in a positive way, but don't see any improvement in their illness - ie it could well mean their illness is purely caused by a chemical imbalance. I don't think that applies to me personally, but I guess I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the idea that sufferers of anxiety/depression are responsible for their own illness. I get the impression that a lot of the stigma is caused by people thinking that sufferers of anxiety/depression are somehow weak, and that if only they would change their way of living or the way they see the world, they wouldn't be ill. I don't think you actually meant it like this though. But yes, in many cases I think changing your way of thinking (eg through CBT techniques) can help improve a sufferer's quality of life.

Chester
22-01-13, 20:14
They had Amanda Lamb talking about it on Radio Newcastle earlier, her brother has a bi-polar disorder

She was saying how attitudes are changing but there's still an underlying

'get over it, pull yourself together, what have you got to feel bad or worried about'

But she did say she'd found it getting a lot better.

Ruby Wax is very open, she runs an excellent (though not as excellent as this) website on mental health

CarmR
05-02-13, 09:38
Just Bumping the post....:yesyes: