PDA

View Full Version : Going Mad

hazel
15-06-04, 10:22
Hi I'm new to this site. My main worry is that I am going mad and that I am going to develop something terrible like schizophrenia. I had all the physical concerns like heart attacks etc but as soon as I relaised that there was nothing wrong with me, the symptoms like palpitations disappeared! Does anyone else worry about going mad. It's got to the point now that I worry about, for example, seeing people in a suspicious way and then hey presto, the next day I do slightly but it never lasts longer than a day because I am able to rationalise it. Please help!!

Laurie28
15-06-04, 12:05
Hazel,

It is a common anxiety symptom, I, like you thought I was schizophrenic (sp?) or having a nervous breakdown when I was at my worst. A talk with the health visitor and doctor helped a bit. i assure you that you are not going mad. I looked for reasons to prove I was mad and picked up on little things i done that i thought proved to me that I was definetly some kind of mental patient.

So many people on this forum have commented that this is one of their fears.

Pls believe me when i say you are not

Love
Lucky

Meg
15-06-04, 12:59
Excellent progress in being able to rationalize the palpitations and other symptoms away.

Neuroses conditions - anxiety , depression etc do not turn into psychoses illnesses . They are a completely different disease process and not a hybrid .

Most of why we feel like this - and many of us have done so - is that we get overwhelmed and on the fear roundabout. Then thoughts get stuck and frighten us and we analyse them to the finest point and then some more . Get off that roundabout .

You can rationalise it away as you did the symptoms.

Keep posting and tell us how you are doing

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

ana
15-06-04, 13:33
Hi Hazel,
I posted my topic called "Loosing control". Some people replied to me. You can have a look at it.
I have the same worries.
Do you ever feel like screaming or leaping out of the bus/home/school...?
Ana
xxx

hazel
15-06-04, 15:33
Ana

Thanks for replying and the other people also. No I do not have the feeling of wanting to scream or leap out of somewhere (apart from to escape a train etc if I am worrying about something happening on it etc). I can understand why you might feel like that though.

Pam
15-06-04, 17:53
quote:Originally posted by ana

Hi Hazel,
I posted my topic called "Loosing control". Some people replied to me. You can have a look at it.
I have the same worries.
Ana
xxx

...or jumping up at a wedding when the vicar asks if anyone knows any reason why the couple shouldn't be married.
....or standing on your chair and taking your clothes of during an important meeting.
.....or just shouting f**k when you are somewhere quiet like a library?

I never have, just like I have never collapsed with a heart attack, brain tumour, stroke etc during a panic attack.
But it doesn't stop you worrying that you might!!
Pam

sarah
15-06-04, 21:16
Hiya Pam

Thanks for those examples, they gave me a chuckle as that is exactly the sort of thing I think about...lol

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

april tones
15-06-04, 22:03
hi all, i have had this loads too, still get it sometimes even though im alot better, love april x

apriltones

grace
15-06-04, 22:08
hi pam
your post made me laugh, i think cos i think the same kind of thing

xxx grace

jo-jo
15-06-04, 22:18
Hi there

Pam - Oh how I'd actually love to do something like that - then run like hell...

Hazel - hope you're feeling a bit better and that your mind has been put at rest.

Take care
Jo xx

lazaru
21-06-04, 14:08
quote:Originally posted by Pam

quote:Originally posted by ana

Hi Hazel,
I have the same worries.
Ana
xxx

oh man..i was on holiday in america a few years ago when my panic disorder was really bad, although i still didnt know what was wrong with me, and we would be driving along, and i would think 'what if i jumped out of the car and ran into the forest/wood/jungle and noone found me, would i keep running, would i go mad and become some sort of wild caveman', and i kept feeling like it was just about to happen...like it was just going to do it and something would distract me and it would pass. it scared the living hell out of me for 2 weeks!!

...or jumping up at a wedding when the vicar asks if anyone knows any reason why the couple shouldn't be married.
....or standing on your chair and taking your clothes of during an important meeting.
.....or just shouting f**k when you are somewhere quiet like a library?

I never have, just like I have never collapsed with a heart attack, brain tumour, stroke etc during a panic attack.
But it doesn't stop you worrying that you might!!
Pam