PDA

View Full Version : fibromyalgia

swgrl09
22-01-13, 13:16
My sister has fibromyalgia. She was diagnosed a couple years ago. In talking to her, she has made me think I may have it too. Her husband is a licensed massage therapist and told me about the different number of pressure points and if you have so many that are tender, you probably have it. Well, all of them were on me! lol

I guess I had always cracked it up to anxiety and stress causing muscle pain and tightness. But nothing has helped me fully be pain free, and believe me, I've tried a lot of things ... chiro, acupuncture, massage, herbal creams, anti-inflammatories, ice, heat, anxiety meds, yoga, etc. I usually only find brief relief. Is that what it will come down to?

So my question is - do any of you have fibro and what do you do for it? Her only medication for it besides the OTC stuff was cymbalta to treat her anxiety/depression and her fibro. She said there really isn't much other treatment.

Anybody who has this, any thoughts?

bernie1977
22-01-13, 14:07
Pregabalin/Lyrica is prescribed off label in the UK for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME.

When I was under a consultant at the hospital I was referred to a pain management clinic. They also recommend Tai Chi and light impact Yoga.

As your sister has said there isn't much they can do for the condition.

swgrl09
22-01-13, 14:30
Did the Yoga help you? I have tried doing gentle yoga and exercising, but I find it just makes my muscles knot up much worse ... sometimes I just stretch, but I want to also be able to get in shape too at the same time. Nothing is lasting, which infuriates me. I'm 24 and I feel 80 sometimes.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

Also wondering if anybody has ever had trigger point injections ... I hear they are painful, but do work. The worst part is my neck and I never sleep well. Maybe I should see my doc... feel bad because I was just there for a depression follow-up

bernie1977
22-01-13, 15:44
It did help but you do have to be careful as too much excercise can cause extreme fatigue in people with CFS or FMS.

It's my knees that cause me the most pain but I was shown some excersises as the pain management clinic that sometimes help. I would speak to your Doctor if I was you.

bronte
22-01-13, 19:23
i think i have this and have done for a long time but wouldnt know where to start in getting a diagnosis

swgrl09
22-01-13, 20:02
I guess I am wondering if it is even worth seeking out a diagnosis if nothing can be done?

swgrl09
23-01-13, 17:20
Got a doctor's appointment, but it's not until 2/7 ... not an emergency. I am hoping maybe she can set me up with some physical therapy. Then insurance might pay for it, which would be nice instead of coming out of my pocket for massages and yoga.

I guess I am just tired of being in pain. It makes me very irritable. Then I find I get annoyed with my fiance because I suck it up and am hurting most days, but if he has a slight headache he acts like he was hit by a truck and mopes. I have to remind myself that he does not know what this type of pain is like, so can't get mad at him for it.