PDA

View Full Version : Presentation the day after tomorrow

Elle-Kay
22-01-13, 16:12
I've just realised that my bursary application panel interview/presentation is in under 48 hours!!! :ohmy:

I'm getting quite nervous now (but nervous rather than anxious so far, which I think is good).

The powerpoint slides are all done, and I've been practising what I'm going to say. I started off by just putting some notes on cue cards and ad-libbing, but after practising 4 or 5 times I still wasn't happy that it was 'flowing' well enough, so I've decided to actually type out what I want to say word-for-word and glue it to cue cards instead. I'll still practise between now and then, so I don't have to read from the cards without ever looking up, but I hope they won't look down on me for having a verbatim speech to read.

ynos
22-01-13, 16:37
Good luck with it! i'm sure you will do a great job! :hugs:

Arnie365
22-01-13, 17:06
You shouldn't get marked down. It should be based on content and your proposals they judge you on not your presentation style.

Good luck!:yesyes:

Annie0904
22-01-13, 17:10
I am sure you will do great Elle-Kay :yesyes:

paranoidtree
22-01-13, 20:05
Good luck my lovely!

Edie
22-01-13, 20:13
Nervous is normal and healthy. You sound really well prepared. I would write it out verbatim too. If you're familiar with what you're saying they probably won't even realise.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Paul H
22-01-13, 22:42
Break a leg!

Magic
22-01-13, 22:47
Wishing you all the best ---you will do well, I am sure :):flowers:

Elle-Kay
23-01-13, 16:06
Nerves/anxiety are kicking in now - eeeeek!!

Thanks guys for your good wishes though.

Annie0904
23-01-13, 16:09
I hope it goes well, I am sure it will..you can do it :yesyes::yesyes:

Col
23-01-13, 21:37
Good luck X

AuntieMoosie
23-01-13, 22:48
Wishing you the very best of luck Elle, I'm sure that it will all go really well for you hun :) :hugs:

panickyme
23-01-13, 23:39
Best of luck!!!!!! :hugs:

Annie0904
24-01-13, 09:40
Thinking of you today..Good luck Elle-Kay x

Elle-Kay
24-01-13, 10:04
Thanks guys :D

The presentation is at 3:15, so I'll leave at around half past two - so just 4 and a half hours to kill! lol

I actually don't feel too bad (yet!). I'm nervous, but not hugely so and not even as bad as I remember feeling before exams etc. in the past. I've managed to have some breakfast, and I'm going to go and choose what to wear shortly then do another run-through.

I got it a bit of a wobble last night because when I re-read the invitation email I realised it said "interview", so now I don't know if they're expecting me to do a formal interview part as well as the presentation - the guidance notes they sent only mentioned "selection panel presentation" though, so I don't know. I guess I'll just have to take it as it comes.

Edie
24-01-13, 10:42
You're doing really well. All the best for this afternoon!

Elle-Kay
24-01-13, 23:01
I've only just had chance to update this, as this afternoon/evening got a bit manic in the end, but just to let you all know: I survived :)

I actually didn't feel anywhere near as nervous as I thought I would, and only had one jolt of anxiety when I sat down to wait, which literally lasted a few seconds before I reminded myself to ignore it and it went away. I'm almost certain that my calmness is a result of the herbal medicine regime I'm following, and the different attitude I've been gradually taking to my anxiety since I started following CBT4Panic, and I'm so thrilled that I can actually start to see it all paying off in real ways :)

I think the presentation went ok, but the panel (there were 3 people) were difficult to judge. I guess I'll find out when they give me their decision (though I don't know when that will be yet), but even if I'm not successful this time I was told that they should give me feedback so I can apply again in the Autumn. They asked some pertinent questions though, which I answered to the best of my abilities, so it seems as though they listened and took in what I was saying.

I treated myself to a Starbucks on the way home (yum), then my friend/future business partner rang to see how it had gone, and told me she was proud of me for doing it, which was a lovely end to the afternoon (she knows about my anxiety, and is such a genuine person, so I know that it was a heartfelt compliment) :)

Oh, and on the way home something on my car stopped working properly, so I had to take it straight to the dealership and have it booked in to be investigated on Monday. This was such a 'sod's law' thing to happen though, that I can't even be bothered to worry about it (yet!) and so far am just laughing at the irony of it happening today, of all days.

Arnie365
25-01-13, 05:20
Well done Elle-Kay! :yesyes:

ynos
25-01-13, 09:27
glad it all went well for you! :D

Jenwales
25-01-13, 10:52
You'll do great. I have a job interview once and I was so anxious I forgot things. I got the job and I'm still there. What surprised me was my manager said my interview went very well.
So although you are worrying etc have a little faith (so is that a cliche?) trust yourself.

Elle-Kay
25-01-13, 10:56
Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!! I just got the telephone call saying that we've been accepted onto the scheme!!! :D We'll receive a £2500 bursary and free training to set up our business, and they said they thought my presentation was (and I quote) "amazing"!! I'm so happy and can't stop grinning!! :D

Later I will be anxious and worried about what comes next.... lol

Annie0904
25-01-13, 11:01
Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!! I just got the telephone call saying that we've been accepted onto the scheme!!! :D We'll receive a £2500 bursary and free training to set up our business, and they said they thought my presentation was (and I quote) "amazing"!! I'm so happy and can't stop grinning!! :D

Later I will be anxious and worried about what comes next.... lol

Oh Leah, you have just cheered up my day..it is lovely for me to hear some good news for a change...WELL DONE!!!!!!:yesyes::yahoo::yahoo:

Magic
25-01-13, 15:20
CONGRATULATIONS ELLE-KAY:):hugs::flowers:xx

ynos
25-01-13, 17:14
give yourself a BIG pat on the back!! well done! :hugs:

Arnie365
25-01-13, 19:24
Well done you! You must be so proud of yourself.

Col
25-01-13, 19:50
Yippee