PDA

View Full Version : eating / appetite problems

KeepCalm&CarryOn
22-01-13, 18:11
Ok sorry in advance for the really long post :)

Don’t know if is the right place but I’ve been having problems eating for the past month or so. I had a bad cold in December and was a bit off my food, but I had to go to a work’s xmas dinner. As I get wound up and anxious in social situations I was a bit stressed already and then i had a big meal, and even though I was full up pretty much as soon as I started to eat it, I forced it down so I didn’t embarrass myself, and I felt bloated and uncomfortable. After that I was a little bit wary of eating, but it was fine and I managed to eat my xmas dinner. Then the day before new years eve I had a Chinese takeaway and within around 10 mins of eating it, my chest started to feel tight and felt sick, I also started to make myself burp a lot to try and get rid of the tension. I am also really anxious about my health and got myself so worked up that I had a full blown panic attack.

For about 2 weeks after I pretty much avoided food and only eat when I really had to and even then I was tentative about eating as I was worried that the symptoms would return. I went to the drs last Friday and she put me back on citalopram and since then I have been able to eat things like beans on toast, scrambled eggs or porridge for breakfast and a bowl of soup for dinner, as well as light food such as sandwiches and yoghurts in a bottle. I also managed to eat a smaller than usual Sunday dinner with a slice of fruit tart for afters. I have been quite pleased with my progress but this morning I had a drinkable yoghurt with my tablet and I was still a bit hungry and the fridge door was still open I decided to have a left over Yorkshire pudding as well to go with my cup of tea. Well, about 10 mins later I vomited everything up, I don’t know if it was the strange combination of food or the fact that the pudding was quite salty, but since then its made me anxious about eating again.

I managed some toast for my breakfast after that and also a piece of fish for my dinner, and it felt that they were getting stuck in my chest area, but it felt better after I drank some water. Then for my tea I tried to eat some pasta, I could only manage around half of it as they started to feel like they were getting stuck again and I felt full up. I also started to feel a little bit of heartburn around the upper chest / throat area but I think that might be down to anxiety.

I have been quite stressed with uni lately, but I’m getting quite worried that this is due to illness and not stress. Can anyone shed any light on whether this is normal or not?

TIA