PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure

Nico
22-01-13, 21:08
Hi guys, I know there is another recent post about this but I would still like to ask you guys for advice. Ever since I had a panic attack and anxiety in June last year, when I have my blood pressure taken it is high.
Today I had it taken by my GP and it was 147/86 and she also noted I had a high heart rate, but seemed unworried by this!I am now in a frenzy on how I could have high blood pressure as I am only 17 and an active rower. I also read articles on google about how high blood pressure can cause a stroke which made things a billion times worse. Should I be worried guys?

Annie0904
22-01-13, 21:17
I would say that is just border line and BP does go up and down. If your GP is not worried, then you shouldn't be worried.

spacebunnyx
22-01-13, 21:22
I agree - mine goes up at the GP and is always 130-something over 92-ish at the gp's but goes down to 120/77 when I'm sitting at home.. its normal and although yours went up a bit its not overally high. If you're worried, diet and exercise will help (if you're not healthy already). When I had a seizure a while ago, my BP went over 175+/140+ (i blacked out so don't know how high it actually went) and yours is not even close!

xxx

Nico
22-01-13, 21:25
Thanks, ill try to stay calm guys

RVP
23-01-13, 00:23
Hi Nico, your BP is bound to be high if you're anxious at the Doctor's, mine always is.
147/86 is fine, if it makes you feel better mine was 180/105 when I went to get my 24hr BP monitor put on.
I'm 21, and have had high bp for a couple of years now, fit and healthy.
Also: you shouldn't be concerned over 1 reading, especially which was taken at the doctor's.

Anxiety Jim
23-01-13, 01:57
Try not to worry, I saw my GP last year and my blood pressure was 140/90, she said it was a bit high, that I should try to be more active and lose weight.

She then told me to come back in a YEAR to have it checked again. She said it was nothing to worry about for a 23 year old (last year) at the moment.

Nico
23-01-13, 06:57
Ok thank you, I am just trying to convince myself that I am not gunna drop dead from this, and your right, at my age I should not worry

ricardo
23-01-13, 07:27
White coat syndrome is so common and your blood pressure is in the range of being normal. BP varies every few minutes and the main thing is the bottom line and anything below 90 to 80 is regarded as normal
Actually I would say in this particular case Dr.Google does give a good explanation of what is high,normal or low blood pressure.

Mr Brownstone
23-01-13, 18:28
High BP is only a problem if its like that for years. Your reading was a wee bit high (well the 147 bit, the 86 is fine) , but probably only because you were anxious when getting it taken. I wouldnt worry.