PDA

View Full Version : Time for a dental app?

Em.ma
22-01-13, 22:29
My wisdom tooth on the bottom has been coming through for months now the gum is split and I can see the crown of the tooth but its been like this for 3 months I have very overcrowded teeth and was wondering if its having trouble coming through. Tonight it's causing not pain but discomfort so tommoro I'm going to book an app however I need one for a fri after noon because of work and unless theirs a sign of infection ? What's the signs that I have one will I just know? Will I be ok to leave it 2 weeks or so until the app ...

Tonijade
22-01-13, 22:40
Hi Emma,
I used to be a dental nurse so I know a bit but am in no way a replacement for dental advice! If it's not causing pain you are fine to wait a few weeks, just keep the area really clean. If the gum in the area is red or swollen you can use a warm salt-water mouthwash a few times a day or corsodyl mouthwash is good. If it becomes infected you will know as the gum will be swollen and very sore. Then you will probably need antibiotics. I have had problems with my wisdom teeth and have had a couple of courses of amoxicillin for them. Wisdom teeth can be slow coming through. The best bet is to book a dental appointment as soon as you can so that they can assess the tooth and decide what to do with the crowding. If you get pain in the meantime you could always try and get an emergency appointment. Hope this helps a bit. Toni xx

Em.ma
23-01-13, 00:40
It is sore to brush and touch so a bit worried about infection? Will i die from it? Sounds drastic but I've heard about them spreading to the brain lol. Gonna get app ASAP

Tonijade
23-01-13, 09:59
No you won't die from it! That is very very rare and is from untreated abscesses. Use the warm sal****er to rinse and get to the dentist as soon as you can. If you can't get in soon some GP's will give antibiotics for dental infections, mine did once with the promise that I would go to the dentist ASAP. It's probably periocoronitis which is very common with wisdom teeth. Please try not to worry Hun xxx

Elle-Kay
23-01-13, 10:18
I had a wisdom tooth come through where there wasn't really room for it, and trust me: I knew about it! It was causing me to have a constant, gnawing pain around the tooth, right down into my jaw, and right up into my ear too. If yours is only a bit sore when you brush it, but it's not causing you to be in pain all day, I would agree that you'll be fine to wait for a while longer to see if it pokes its head through (or at least to wait until the next convenient dentist appointment).

Em.ma
23-01-13, 13:53
Booked an app Friday 8th February so just over two weeks. It's not painful but it's uncomfy I can feel it really poking through my gum now. I hope it's ok for two more weeks. Ill keep the area clean and use salt water is anti bacterial mouthwash A good idea? Or not??

Em.ma
23-01-13, 18:03
Is slightly painful now scared to wait just over two weeks

Elle-Kay
23-01-13, 18:10
Is it painful because you've been prodding at it with your finger/toothbrush/tongue? Be honest now :)

Teeth are painful when they're coming through - just think about how much babies cry etc. when they're teething. As I said, mine was SO painful that I knew for certain there was something up.

Tonijade
23-01-13, 19:36
As Elle-Kay said teeth are painful when they come through, unless the pain is unbearable then you should be fine. Maybe you could try and get to an out of hours dentist or one with late opening just to put your mid at rest. I'm sure that it's just normal wisdom tooth pain, slight pain shows that it is moving and pushing through x

Em.ma
24-01-13, 06:52
Haven't been touching it really lol.
That's a good po

---------- Post added at 06:52 ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 ----------

Point about baby's teething its not bothering me much at moment