PDA

View Full Version : I have an interview: survival advice anyone?

smit
23-01-13, 00:04
Things have been a bit better recently. I want to be a teacher, so getting over this stupid disorder is my priority. I aim to be anxiety free ready to start a pgce next september.
Problem is interviews are now. I already missed one because I couldnt face going. I wasnt even worried about the interview itself, I was worried about my panic resurfacing during the interview.
Now I have a second one in a weeks time. It will take three hours, and I'm feeling sick about it already.

Has anyone got any tips for getting through this kind of thing?
Sometimes I worry I'm not fit to become a teacher, but before all this kicked off I was perfectly fine in the classroom and so I aim to be in the future.

Daisy Sue
23-01-13, 00:07
i think anyone would find a 3 hour interview daunting, with or without an anxiety issue. have you ever tried the Bachs Rescue Remedy? i think it's supposed to be really good for occasions like this.

smit
23-01-13, 00:10
I have tried it, I'm afraid it doesnt do much for me really, sadly . But thanks for the suggestion

cameraobscuraB
23-01-13, 01:23
you've been given an interview and got that far so well done and take comfort from the fact you've already been deemed suitable enough

I've an interview tomorrow so know kinda what you're feeling. All i'd say is remember these folk don't know what you're feeling and aren't inside your head so though you feel you're not worthy, are anxious or are inaddequate (which you're not) they can't see these things. So just focus on projecting a confident image imagine playing acting out a role they don't know otherwise. Try detatch what you're feeling and imagine what you'd feel think want to say if you weren't in an interview situation

You're just telling someone the stuff about yourself in relation to why you want to teach and as you've
Said have done well in classroom etc

The obvious stuff. Have early night. Allow self plenty of time in morning
To have good breakfast. Put on some make up do your hair look presentable. Get there in plenty of time to have half hour to collect yourself before appointment

Just remember you wouldn't have got as far as interview in the first place if they weren't already interested

Best of luck x

Col
23-01-13, 11:23
I have had an interview for teacher of science PGCE, hard!!!You will be concentrating soo much, I think you'll forget about your anxiety once your there.

Elle-Kay
23-01-13, 12:25
I also have an interview tomorrow - for a bursary award to set up my own business - so I can imagine well how you are feeling. My advice to you is to not focus on the interview - shift your focus beyond that, to what the interview will allow you to do. Yes, it's 3 hours, but it's 3 hours that will open a gateway to a new and exciting life for you, not only into teaching, but also into a place where you don't have to be afraid of your anxiety, because you'll have shown it who's boss by getting through a daunting task! :)

I'm nervous about tomorrow, of course - nerves are a normal, and healthy part of life (they actually help us, by stimulating our minds so we're able to recall things more easily etc.) - but I'm also terribly excited about what it could mean for me in the longer term.

Also, let's face it, it will probably be over for both of us before we've even noticed. I mean, I've watched films that are longer than the time I have to be out tomorrow! :) It helps me to rationalise things in this way, for example if I knew I would be out for 3 hours I would say to myself "Ok, well that's about 12% of my day, which means I have a whole 88% of my day to myself, in which I don't have to worry or feel anxious!"

Make your preparations, but don't let yourself get caught up in the neverending "what if?" thoughts that anxiety brings. If you think "What if this happens?" remind yourself to think "Yes, but what if it doesn't?" then move right on to thinking about the positive opportunities that the interview will open up for you.

Oosh
23-01-13, 12:47
What is it about teaching on here. Does teaching produce anxious people or do anxious people gravitate towards teaching ?

Fear of panic is the same as any other fear. Fear of flying, going outside etc
I stopped having panic attacks a long time ago but I still remember that fear. I don't even like to talk about it. It's a fear of escalation. That panic feeling in your gut is normal and you've always had it.
When you were a young child, a loud vehicle passes or you think you're going to fall etc. you feel a jab of panic in your gut. But for me, I realised there was always a natural, automatic dampening effect that dropped over it like a wet flannel being dropped on a small flame. Plop. Gone. Because unless there's real danger, like a tiger that's just appeared behind you, that kind of escalating panic doesn't serve you well.

But the pattern of a panic attack is different. You fear the panic jab in your gut because the FEAR is it will escalate. And that fear alone will be the only reason it would escalate. But it's NOT GOING to escalate. That immediate dampening effect is back. It will dampen it as soon as it appears, like normal.

And you're going to be too busy to have that fear of escalation in your head. Only the presence of the fear can even make it a factor. And if you're thinking about new shoes, the weather, biscuits, interview preparation you can't be thinking if the fear.

1 that dampening effect is back. Use whatever images you need to picture it.

2 jab in your gut. Dampened in a split second. Think of something else. Because it IS now gone. The further you get away from it the better so ...

3 forget. Focus on your interview. Anything.

Preparation is the key to feeling confident. Prepare for every question or eventuality and you will go into anything with real confidence because you KNOW you're ready.

Forget it. That fear you used to have is gone now. Never think of it again. If it tries to enter your thoughts again quickly forget it by concentrating on a quick succession of other thoughts that will bury it and leave it so far behind its easier to forget.

wendy35107
23-01-13, 12:51
try to think positively, I know that's easier said that done, but I had an interview last week, followed by a 2nd interview for the same position.
I found that thinking positively "They're obviously interested if they've got me in for interview" really helped, also if they offer you a drink, take them up on the offer, it's good to have a glass of water, something to hold in your hands can help keep you from getting fidgety and more nervous, plus the cool water should help calm nerves too.

All I can say is good luck and use this board for help, I've found it to be amazingly helpful whe i've felt super low.

Sara

Col
23-01-13, 21:43
What is it about teaching on here. Does teaching produce anxious people or do anxious people gravitate towards teaching ?

Fear of panic is the same as any other fear. Fear of flying, going outside etc
I stopped having panic attacks a long time ago but I still remember that fear. I don't even like to talk about it. It's a fear of escalation. That panic feeling in your gut is normal and you've always had it.
When you were a young child, a loud vehicle passes or you think you're going to fall etc. you feel a jab of panic in your gut. But for me, I realised there was always a natural, automatic dampening effect that dropped over it like a wet flannel being dropped on a small flame. Plop. Gone. Because unless there's real danger, like a tiger that's just appeared behind you, that kind of escalating panic doesn't serve you well.

But the pattern of a panic attack is different. You fear the panic jab in your gut because the FEAR is it will escalate. And that fear alone will be the only reason it would escalate. But it's NOT GOING to escalate. That immediate dampening effect is back. It will dampen it as soon as it appears, like normal.

And you're going to be too busy to have that fear of escalation in your head. Only the presence of the fear can even make it a factor. And if you're thinking about new shoes, the weather, biscuits, interview preparation you can't be thinking if the fear.

1 that dampening effect is back. Use whatever images you need to picture it.

2 jab in your gut. Dampened in a split second. Think of something else. Because it IS now gone. The further you get away from it the better so ...

3 forget. Focus on your interview. Anything.

Preparation is the key to feeling confident. Prepare for every question or eventuality and you will go into anything with real confidence because you KNOW you're ready.

Forget it. That fear you used to have is gone now. Never think of it again. If it tries to enter your thoughts again quickly forget it by concentrating on a quick succession of other thoughts that will bury it and leave it so far behind its easier to forget.

[COLOR="Red"]Put it this way, my experience with panic began whilst I was training to teach, never had panic/