PDA

View Full Version : wat do you do when haveing a panic attack to bring it down

trish1955
23-01-13, 09:51
glad of any ideas on how to bring a panic attack down i tried to do some thing to distract my self but i am so so shaky and unable to focus on any thing to ditract myself just need some ideas on how others help them self to bring there panic under control take care xx

spacebunnyx
23-01-13, 19:24
i try to distract myself as much as I can or lying down underneath my duvet also helps! Have a chamomile tea and a Kalms tablet works a bit for me. At the end of the day a panic attack feels awful, but it won't kill you.

xxx

JohnBliss
23-01-13, 19:40
|I tell it to do its worst- I just don't care-it seems to defuse it. Certainly I can't remember when I last had a full blown panic attack although I still suffer anxiety on a daily basis. I also find a few squirts of Bachs Rescue remedy helps when I start to feel panicky
Hope you find something that works for you
Regards
John

trish1955
24-01-13, 09:07
thankyou for yr replies i do use rescue remdy its hard to say if it working when in full panic as for distraction my mind is well and truely stuck on fighting my attack and my arms are light spaggatti they are all over place in fact i am usely flapping them like a headless chicken during panic i never no if to sit or stand when its happening thanks any weay take care xxx

JohnBliss
24-01-13, 15:18
Try not to fight it just accept it.In my experience his will disarm it and diffuse it.I believe the worst thing you can do is fight it Try it next time.Hope it works.It does for me
All the Best
john

maximus1975
24-01-13, 15:45
i just start walking like a mad man last full blown one i was walking around my house like a mad man trying to think this cant kill me , awful feeling and i no where your coming from there are two types of attacks in my opinion the full blown ones are totally awful , i get straight on you tube and watch a vid that says they cant kill you seems to work for me

Anxious_gal
24-01-13, 17:16
Heh I've done the pacing the house, 5am cleaning, distraction via the Internet.
I'm ok until I feel like I can't breathe, then I prefer cooler air so I might open a window, eat a mint, chew gum, splashing my face with cool water.
Other times getting into bed n pulling the blankets over my head helps.

I know you're meant to accept the panic n not run from it. . . I'm still working on that part :)

bertone902
24-01-13, 19:12
nothing works better than accepting it , trying to prevent it makes it worse. its harmless so why fear it :)

jency
24-01-13, 19:50
i do breathing exercises to help and if can sit down i let my arms hang by my side because this eases tension and helps the blood flow properly to stop the tingling i get. as others have said dont fight it but dont let it win remember it will pass. i get really hot during an attack and find running cold water over my wrists helps

trish1955
26-01-13, 07:18
thnks guys for yr replies all diffrent mite try the lot lol you no i was thinking when yr haveing a panic attack i find i am saying i have just had a massive panic attack looking back i have had worse ones but at the time and for a liitle while its seemed like it was massive but no matter how big or small they are scarey take care all xx

noonoo
05-02-13, 00:47
Every single one i've had has been in early evening or late at night which can make it worse. But luckily I have a friend who says I can phone her whenever I need to, because she suffers with the same things and undestands. Even when i'm on the phone I have the tv on just loud enough to hear the tips of their voices. I always find chatting helps, nothing else does for me. x

starlight78
05-02-13, 20:00
I write, it's bizarre but writing positive statements such as 'this will pass, it always does' and 'these are symptoms, nothing worse' really seems to help me.
I also have rain sounds on my phone, so I plug in my earphones and listen to that, close my eyes and try to release my muscles... I try as much as possible to let go, breathe, accept and let it pass.. Bloody hard though!!! Lol x

Coppernob
06-02-13, 10:50
My panic attacks strike me moments after I wake up, I take slow breaths and tell myself I actually feel okay and that I will beat it, and it does help (though not always!). Reminding myself too that I will feel better as the day goes on helps.

When I was at my worst and was having daytime panic attacks I would walk fast around the house, but it was better still to put my coat on and go out for a brisk walk.

Khadijah
08-02-13, 13:00
I try and distract myself, reading, watching TV, cleaning.
I'm not sure If what I get is panic attacks, as people say these come with chest pains and heart pounding and racing.
I cry, shake, nervousness feeling in chest, breathing changes. And constant extreme fear thoughts of dying of a heart attack. Even though I have no chest pain or 'thuds'.

It can take hours to shift these feelings and they only become an issue when I'm alone and at night.

I listen to white noise that helps soothe babies:), anti anxiety videos, other stories, splashing cold water on me etc etc. And ultimately I know it is only going to go away when I sleep, but that is another mission in itself.

trish1955
09-02-13, 10:30
as i was reading all this post i smile as i see you doing what you have wrote yep i have done the internet the cleaning in a fashion cus yr minds on you the cold water on face back of the neck the wrist to be honest i find it way to hard to do the acceptance thing i am always way to scared i do try but the fear seems to blody win the acceptance is the right way to a cure just wish it was as easy to do as it is to say thanks guys for all yr replies

Ycg3
10-02-13, 06:25
having a panic attack
very dizzy
cant control my breathing, feel sick, shaking
helppppppppppppppppppppp me

Red Flower
10-02-13, 08:08
Breathing helps, and try to breath out longer than breath in. And relax. Ant tell yourself it will go it's just body reacion and nothing sary. For me hot cup of tea helps. Breath out and tell youself it will go it will go it will go.

lashes
10-02-13, 09:49
Hi I've found this to be really helpful it has coping statements in it whih I used the other day and I didn't run away ! http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/panic.asp x

Ycg3
11-02-13, 06:25
thanks lashes ^

breathing seems to be the key but hard when your in the middle of a panic and feel like your losing

lashes
13-02-13, 21:07
Yeh you definitely need to put a lot of effort in but I am finding its paying off xx

Luckyduck
13-02-13, 22:01
I do deep breathing. Sit down, breath in through your nose hold your breath for 2 seconds the slowly let it out. Do this a few times.

Also i tell the panic or anxiety ok im feeling panicy or anxious but im ok.
And also to "F off".

Steve37
13-02-13, 22:05
I know when they're coming now, i can't stop them so i just work my way through it! Really hard, but worth it when it ends!:yesyes:

trish1955
15-02-13, 23:33
yep it is do any of you find after a panic attack you stay verey anxciouse for some time after trying not to let another attack come on and after a while you are wore out as if you have no energy left at all you feel like you have done a really hard days work just by holding your self together take care all and keep them ideas coming xxx

LittleSongbird
16-02-13, 04:23
I do nothing. I observe them and let them come. Come as much as they want.

Sometimes when I recognize I'm doing "safety behaviors" I drop them eventually. Such as lying down or distracting... That means if you don't do that something bad's gonna happen. But actually nothing bad happens. Nothing can harm you.

I'm a sensitive type of person (both physically and metal, also emotion and my nervous system are very sensitive), when I'm angry or even sad I can get panic attack. But now I know how to manage it by understanding what panic attack is. It's not frightened as we thought. It's just our reaction to fear. Do nothing is all I want to tell you.

JoniEdwards
19-02-13, 09:09
I like to play the alphabet game....i choose a topic and have to think of a word for every letter. Last time my topic was vegetables, A-asparagus......B-broccoli....and so on. it helps at times. Also I do that when I can't sleep. I usually don't make it past R. take care. xo Joni

MasterMarK
19-02-13, 23:32
Ive just started saying to myself "I'm stronger than you and your never going to hurt me just scare me a little then go away"