PDA

View Full Version : Beaten fear of flying!

Polar Bear
23-01-13, 10:16
In an effort to help others and put something back into this forum which has helped me I wanted to post this.

Until 2004 I hadn't flown since 1978! Not sure what really made me take the flight in 2004 but I needed to, to help my myself. Whilst I felt absolutely petified at take off and landing, couldn't look out of the window etc I got through the flight.

Subsequent flights ensued and I took to taking diazapam to help get me through the flights. I shut my eyes and tried to take my mind off the flying especially at take off.

I've been having counselling for a couple of years now for general anxiety and a few times before a flight I have spoken to my counsellor and done visualisation exercises to overcome my fears.

I flew again about 10 days ago. Only 1 and a half hours. I still took a small diazapam dose (2mg) before the flights I think that I have now conquered this particular fear. There was a moment when I thought I don't want to do this but it passed. I can now look out of the window (which has allowed me to see things like the alps and Venice from the air - wonderful sights!).

Pleased with myself for once. Can't stress enough how frightened I was for so many years and how this stopped me seeing so much of what can be such a beautiful world out there but now AT LAST I'm not frightened anymore!

I used to say to myself if I saw people doing things that they were frightened of, that they can't be frightened as they wouldn't do it. I was wrong I somehow faced this eventually and it has taken me 9 years and a numbe rof flights to really break my fears but I've done it.

If you are afraid of flying maybe you can too!

Mike

eternally optimistic
23-01-13, 10:37
FABULOUS, FABULOUS, FABULOUS, ONE MORE FOR FURTHER LUCK, FABULOUS.

Well done, Mike, on your achievement.

I flew for the first time, last year, since attempting a family holiday back in 2007 which, for me, went distrastly wrong - so I can relate to your feel good factor on this matter.

Best wishes for the next flight.

Regards.

Lissa101
23-01-13, 21:44
Well done! In awe; my flying fears are just getting worse. First flight I took in ages was last year and we had extremely bad turbulence on take off. The plane was full of Scotland fans coming back from a match and they were all terrified too! Never again.

Polar Bear
24-01-13, 09:33
Thanks Jay ann. What a great reply! Yes this certainly gives a feel good factor.

Lissa - Turbulence always worried me and getting this at take off isn't good. I think take off is the worst part. I've just found that in the last flight or two that using distraction that I have been able to keep calmer. Have used things like logic puzzles to occupy the mind.

It's taken a long time to get where I am now with this. It's strange how the mind works isn't it? 10 years ago I would have said I will never fly again and now I just seem to be in a different place with it.

Have lots of other issues to try to beat though!