PDA

View Full Version : Exercise, jobs and anxiety. A bit of a muddle really ...

wendy35107
23-01-13, 10:22
Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well :hugs:

I've been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for about 18 months now, I haven't had a panic attack in at least 6 months, but the anxiety is there every day in one way or another.

I recently had a job interview and a subsequent 2nd interview and the job went to an internal candidate in the end. The whole time between 1st interview and finding out I hadn't got the job, my anxiety was non existent, I was so happy at the thought of getting out of my current job (where I am on my final written warning for absense due to my anxiety / panic attacks) - But as soon as I found out I didn't get it, the anxiety came rushing back. At least i know now what I need to do I suppose which is get a new flipping job, easier said than done though.

Secondly, since the New Year I've become super health lady, I know I'm overweight and I wanted to turn my heath around to help with the anxiety and my own well being - I'm doing really well, eating super well and going swimming / gym around 4 times per week. Well the subsequent aches and pains I get after the exercise are driving me crazy!!

For example, I was swimming for 1 1/2 hours last night and today my shoulders and arms ache, I have a dull ache underneath my right armpit and my anxiety is just going crazy over it, I KNOW it's because I exercised last night but honestly try telling my stupid brain that.

I know I'm moaning, it could be a lot worse I suppose, but honestly it just feels never ending, it's like it's exhausting just living your normal life, you can try your best but it never seems to leave you alone. I had a really bad nights sleep last night and I guess that hasn't helped my mood today.

Sorry for the rambly post, I just felt like I needed to vent and you guys are really the only ones I know will understand and not judge me. So thanks for just being there :bighug1:

EmilyK83
23-01-13, 10:43
Hey Wendy,

Venting is fine! There's always people happy to listen and reply on here :)

Your story sounds so similar to mine. I was diagnosed with GAD in December 2011, and have had a LOT of time off work since. I've had one written warning for absence, plus a second absence meeting - in the second one, however, I told them that my doctor had advised that (because it is an illness lasting more than 12 months) it should be treated as a disability and dealt with under the terms of the Equality Act. It may be worth having a chat with your GP about this.

As for exercise...I'm terrified of exercising as I'm worried about my heart rate increasing too much. Ridiculous, I know, but I know I'm not alone!! What I do is to make sure I walk everywhere that I can at the moment, building up gently so that I can start swimming soon, which is my current goal!! Am also eating healthier, as I reckon that if I lose a bit of weight, that will make me more confident in myself and hopefully reduce some of the anxiety!!

Your arms/shoulders aching when you exercise is a GOOD thing - it's a sign that your body is using muscles that you don't normally use too much - it's working!! The aching should go down as your body gets used to it. I know it's easy enough to tell you not to worry (damn that anxiety!!), but hopefully other people on here will reassure you too! :)

Em

wendy35107
23-01-13, 11:00
Thanks Em you're a star :flowers: it's crazy how someone just giving you that little bit of reassurance makes you feel so much better.

The worst bit about my job, is I've only had 13 days off in the rolling year, I didn't think that was too bad. The most I've ever had at once is 4 days, I try so hard not to take long periods off at once. I'm living in constant fear now though that if I have one more day off I'm going to be dismissed, it's tough going. I'll most definitely have a word with my GP about the disability and terms of equality act, thanks so much for this.

It's taken me a while to get used to the exercising, obviously with my anxiety, my heart racing terrifies me too but swimming is much more gentle than running or anything like that, I just take it easy and keep a bottle of water by the poolside. Honestly it's totallt doable, the actual act doesn't bother me at all now, it's the pain afterwards. I know I'll get used to it eventually, it's this evil anxiety telling me I'm going to die that just makes it so much harder.

I hope you're having a good day and thanks again so much for your reply.

Sara

Iced_diamond
23-01-13, 18:46
Hello Wendy, it's absolutely fine to vent on here. :) that's why we're all members of this site. First of all, I'm really sorry about the job. It's very easy to feel upset and rejected, if you are not offered a position you had hoped for-especially if they got your hopes up about it. The truth is, this "internal candidate" thing is very common and also very unfair. Usually the reason why the internal applicant got the post is because of work politics and can also be connected to budgetary reasons-it certainly does NOT mean that that person was a better choice. I have had this happen to me a number of times and it does get you down, but the best thing you can do, is brush it off and not let it get to you and ruin your confidence. To get a second interview is not always easy, so you must have made a great impression. Their loss will be somebody else's gain. Don't give up the hope-something else always comes along. :)

I'm very impressed by your new fitness regime since the new year. I promised myself to get back in shape, but it hasn't happened for me yet. So, really well done. The problem with exercise is that, you have to take little steps at first otherwise these aches and pains will crop up on you. If I haven't done anything in a while and then suddenly do a big work-out, I am in a lot of pain the next few days as well. Unpleasant as it is, these pains wills go away (obviously if they last a long time or get worse and worse-see your GP) on their own. If you've just exercised it will be that that's causing the aches. Swimming is a good sport, as it is very healthy for the whole of your body and it's not as agressive as some other sports. I would say just take it easy and pause when you need to catch your breath and don't over-do something, if you are feeling a stitch pain or you need to catch your breath again. You're still getting exercise, you're just not over-doing it. All the best to you. :)