PDA

View Full Version : still worried about lungs

andrea15
23-01-13, 11:05
Hi. As mentioned in previous threads I am worried about lung cancer. I had some chest and lower rib pain about 3 weeks ago and went to A& E. I had a chest xray, ecg and bloods and all were fine. The pain stopped and I had no pain for a week but now I am getting occasional twinges again. Dr Google tells me rib pain can be an often ignored lung cancer symptom so I am worried the xray missed somethig I've been gtold that if a tumour was causing pain it would be big enough to see on an xray. My doctor and another gp gp have said theres nothing to indicate lung cancer as I do not have the usual symptoms, no cough, shortness of breath, weight loss, fatigue etc but I am still terrified. Im 42 and a smoker.
Im waiting for appointment for some counselling/CBT.

Anyone have any comments? Should I accept that the doctors are not concerned? Surely the pain wouldn't go away for a week then come back?

Ps I also convinced myself my fingers were clubbing but the gp says they're not.

andrea15
24-01-13, 10:07
Back to drs today. Wont even discuss rib pain. Says xray and bloods should reassure me enough that its not lung cancer. Dont really feel like that got me anywhere. My own GP is off until 18th February so can't speak to her about it. I guess I have to believe they know what they're talking about. They trust the results so why can't I?

Please, if anyone has any thoughts, let me know

andrea15
26-01-13, 17:53
Is there no one who has anything to say?

Annie0904
26-01-13, 17:57
Your doctor is correct, your blood tests and x ray would have shown if you had lung cancer and you would have other symptoms. I don't think you need to worry about it and trust your doctors. x

andrea15
26-01-13, 23:27
Thank you for that. Was worried no one said anything because they thought I had cause to worry x

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

If you take a pinky' brown tablet and cough, could you have pink spit? It just happened and I crapped myself?

Thoughts please

Andrea

katesa
27-01-13, 16:42
Hi Andrea hon,

I think it's more that people have already said this to you a few times and think that to keep repeating it is feeding the anxiety. I get the strong need for reassurance but once we get that, from doctors, tests and everyone else, we need to work out the chances of our own mis-wired brain being right and all the medical professionals, tests and other people being wrong and let it go.

But I will say again - no chance do you have lung cancer. Not even a small chance.

andrea15
27-01-13, 17:51
Thank you katesa. Hope you are well x

andrea15
28-01-13, 11:05
Less pain at mo but still worried. Waiting for call for assessment from Wellbeing clinic. Hope they feel they can help me. So annoyed dr pretty much turned me away last week. How is that going to help? People have said if it doesn't get better I should go back so I did and it was pointless.

Justinf
28-01-13, 11:23
What I try and do in these situations is put myself in the doc's shoes. If I have reassured a patientt that they do not have lung cancer and they keep coming back, i am going to get slightly annoyed.
Sounds like you have nothing to worry about. Lung cancer will present itself very quickly once symptoms start appearing. You would know if you had it.

katesa
28-01-13, 13:32
Less pain at mo but still worried. Waiting for call for assessment from Wellbeing clinic. Hope they feel they can help me. So annoyed dr pretty much turned me away last week. How is that going to help? People have said if it doesn't get better I should go back so I did and it was pointless.

Andrea hon I'm going to sound really harsh now but please understand that it's coming from a good place and not a nasty one.

You ask how the doctor sending you away is going to help but from the doctors point of view, reassurance and tests haven't helped. He is at a loss about what else will actually help. Nothing and nobody is reassuring you.

There is no way on Gods green earth that both blood tests and an x ray would miss lung cancer that has symptoms. People aren't lying to you about this because they secretly want you to have cancer and die, they are stating the facts.

You are a smoker so you will get chest pains and coughing sometimes, especially as you head towards middle age. Even my non-smoking husband STILL has a sore chest following a cough in December. You know how worried I was then, but when the x-ray came back all clear I had to think logically about it and make myself believe what the people who know what they are talking about say and not listen to my own messed up brain.

I think at this point you should stop seeking medical reassurance honey and call your therapist if you have one as they are the people who can help you through this. I'd also strongly suggest taking steps towards cutting down on smoking with a view to quitting because I strongly suspect that it plays a big part in your fear of this particular illness (it certainly did mine until I quit)

andrea15
28-01-13, 15:43
Hi Katesa. Dont worry about sounding harsh. You are right in what you say. Im starting a 6 week cbt course with worksheets at home then they ring me in 2 weeks. If this doesn't helpthey move me on to the next step but theres a waiting list. At least Im being proactive and doing something now. I will quit smoking, I need to. I know it makes my HA so much worse. Im glad Im managing to stay at work as at least that occupies my time every afternoon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply again

Andrea x

katesa
28-01-13, 16:47
You're welcome chick. Glad you didn't take offence. You just seem like a really nice person who is torturing yourself. It's great that you're booked in to the CBT course.

andrea15
29-01-13, 20:07
People on here have been so good to me but Im still worrying like mad. Had hardly any pain until early evening today. Surely something serious would be constant pain? Feel like Im going mad.

Annie0904
29-01-13, 20:15
You are not going mad Andrea and like katesa said, the therapy will help you to deal with this. The more anxious you get the worse the pain will feel, you have had the tests which show it is NOT lung cancer but you are still seeking reassurance. Katesa has given you some good advise. :hugs::hugs:

andrea15
29-01-13, 20:35
But the tests might have missed something

Annie0904
29-01-13, 20:48
The tests will NOT have missed anything.

andrea15
29-01-13, 20:57
That sounded like my partner! Thank you Annie. I need to break this cycle but dont feel I can while I have these pains. My Mum said today she's proud of me for keeping it together this time. Im obviously usually a lot worse than this. Just want to get pain gone and get on with my life. Can't believe drs couldn't give me any idea what this was, I think that's why Im struggling. They didn't give me a reason for it.

andrea15
30-01-13, 08:15
Should I just try to accept that if the drs are unconcerned, I shouldn't be? That the clear xray and bloods are proof enough that theres no tumour?
I lost weight when I started worrying but when the pain went for a week, the weight went back on. Now I've lost it again. If it were due to cancer, I wouldn't have put it back on would I? Surely its just the fear doing that?

Andrea

andrea15
31-01-13, 08:06
My partner has now said he will leave if I insist on not believing the drs.

Have started an unhelpful thought diary for cbt. Trouble is its the same thought every tim. 'Ive got lung cancer'. How is writing that umpteen times a day going to help?

andrea15
02-02-13, 15:37
Think I coughed up a couple more spots of blood this morning. Anxiety in overdrive. I really dont think drs are taking this seriously. They all say tumour would show on xray but I know it doesn't always. What should I do? Im desperate

Annie0904
02-02-13, 15:48
I think the last time you coughed it was the colour from a tablet you had taken and not blood. Are you sure it was blood this time? I really think that if the doctors are not concerned about it being more serious then you should not be concerned either.

andrea15
02-02-13, 16:04
No. It wasn't a tablet. I woke up with phlegm in my throat and when I coughed to clear it there were a couple of spots in it.

Annie0904
02-02-13, 16:55
It could be from your nose, it doesn't mean it is something serious, especially since you have had an xray and blood tests done recently that show your lungs are fine. x

Anxious_gal
02-02-13, 16:59
Spots of blood are ok aren't they?
I mean sometimes with a cough and runny nose I can see blood in my throat or might cough a bit up.
I assume it's just a burst blood vessel from coughing but dam I can understand why it's freaking you out as you've the lung cancer fear it's feeding the fear :(

The x ray and bloods were normal! Try to keep that in mind and we've all coughed up a few dots of blood before.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time x

andrea15
02-02-13, 17:04
Thanks anxious gal.

I want them to do a ct in case it didn't show up on xray. Even drs said it 'usually' shows up. The ' usually' is not good enough for someone with Ha. I can't eat and Im having horribly bad dreams about having lung cancer and people chasing and trying to hurt my kids. Its a living hell.

Annie0904
02-02-13, 17:05
Andrea you really need to be reassured by what the doctor has told you. Like Anxious gal said it is probably from a blood vessel. I sometimes get it from post nasal drip in my throat. It Is not serious. You have had the tests done and they were fine...please believe that :hugs: xx

Anxious_gal
02-02-13, 17:15
Doctors can't say 100% you don't have anything .
What kind of rib pain did you have ? Did doctors say what else might have caused it?

Aw you're welcome x

TotallyBonkers
02-02-13, 21:50
andrea, this is just a thought hun, but sometimes when you cough to clear your chest it can scratch the side of your throat without realising it and it is that which the blood would have come from, you dont always feel the scratch but it happens none the less, so that may be a reason for it xx

On a lighter note, and this is not making fun at all, just something that happened to me. I was sound asleep one night, when my husband woke me in a sheer panic, shaking me and shouting. I woke instantly in a panic thinking the house was on fire, he was waving a peice of toilet paper under my nose with some phlegm and a bit of red in it, and neeedless to say he was thinking he had something major going on, it was when I looked across to the bedside table and saw cherry strepsils that I realised what had occured, the dozy bugger had fallen asleep sucking one, must have swallowed it that made him cough and of course it had red in it.

Thought sharing that with you might make you smile. I would try hard not to worry hun, I really do believe the doctors would be pushing things through if they suspected cancer, remember their arse is on the line too if they missed something.xx

andrea15
02-02-13, 21:58
Thank you hun. I must admit what happened this morning was just clearing my throat and not a deep cough from my lungs.

I've been up and down all day today. I keep telling everyone else to believe their doctors but I dont do it myself. I really need to get a grip and trust them. Im thinking of asking for Prozac for a while but I dont want to get addicted. My own gp is not in until 18th Feb but I dont think I can wait until then.

Doing my cbt and seeing a psychologist on monday. Hope they will both help.

Thanks for replying
Andrea x

panickyme
02-02-13, 22:19
Awww Andrea, I'm sorry you are still not feeling well. When you suffer from HA it is very hard to believe what the Doctor's say. You really have to try to believe them, they are really good at what they do. My bosses mother has lung cancer, and never smoked a day in her life. She never spit up blood, they found it on an xray. I hope this helps you to calm down, I really think you are alright. Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

andrea15
02-02-13, 22:23
Thank you panickyme.

I know I need to believe them but I think they just try to get rid of me

X

panickyme
02-02-13, 22:30
I know in your heart you feel that way, because you have convinced yourself that something is wrong. They would be in so much trouble if they just pushed you aside. They really know that you are alright, and that is why they feel there is no more that can be done. I totally understand how you feel though, I do it myself, except with the heart, I get test done, and it takes me awhile to even believe them, (if I ever do believe) there is nothing wrong. Health anxiety stinks. You really, really will be alright. :hugs:

andrea15
02-02-13, 23:01
Thank you. Just wish I didn't have this pain, although its not often over the course of the day. I must believe them or I will end up in a psychiatric unit. Yes! I really am that bad. I get dizzy faint and shake uncontrolably when Im mid crisis. Its hell.

A x

amanda*43
02-02-13, 23:48
Andrea, my mum had lung cancer and i went with her to all her tests and appointments. The cancer showed up clearly on the x ray as a shadow , she then went on to have further tests. My father in law also has lung cancer and his was found out via x ray and then other tests. What i am trying to say is i am sure you should try to have faith in the tests, and that you are ok. I know how hard this is.

andrea15
02-02-13, 23:56
Thank you amanda. It means a lot that you posted. It is just so hard when Im so convinced.

amanda*43
03-02-13, 00:09
someone once said to me when an awful thought pops into your mind, don't try and analyze it try to let it go, like letting go of a balloon, don't grab onto it, let it drift into your mind and out again. Try to distract yourself , and say i don't have cancer but i do have health anxiety then move around, or do something to displace the adrenaline that builds up in your body and makes you feel so awful. I am thinking of you.

andrea15
05-02-13, 09:50
Still getting pains and still anxious. Psychologist thinks it will be hard to help me at the moment because Im so fixated on lung cancer. Still doing cbt but my thought diary says the same thing over and over. Going to ask about changing meds for anxiety today. Seeing the only doctor at surgery I haven't seen yet! So sick of this fear. Kids birthdays next week and Im struggling to get enthusiastic. Feel so bad for putting them through all this.

A x

andrea15
05-02-13, 15:47
Locum told me xrays are not good for detecting lung cancer. Thinks its muscular. Said to go back in 4 weeks.

Great!!!! Now I get to be a wreck for at least 4 weeks!

Have to accept theres nothing I can do :mad:

Caro3965
05-02-13, 16:02
Andrea, your worries are the same as mine.. I've become obsessed with lung cancer and like you have seen various doctors have had 2 X-rays 1 yr apart but still (even as I type this) am sure they have missed something.. 12mths ago I had a slight dry cough which of course become chronic due to my anxiety X-ray clear cough got better, then worried about my throat always sucking lozenges..so I stopped smoking for 3 weeks using patches and throat got better and so did cough so stupidly I started smoking a cigarette here and there but before long but to 15-20 so a day which is what I've done for nearly 27 yrs.. Then I was getting weird tingling ache across my back so back to dr.. He ordered another chest and back X-ray which was also clear but for the last few months I've had aches around the sides of my ribs.. So my anxiety skyrockets and I hardly sleep constantly look up google and spend all night crying thinking of my 6yr growing up without a mum.. Ive once again stopped smoking but what terrifies me is that smokers can get lung cancer years after quitting...so the fear never leaves me... My Gp said I was suffering from "smokers guilt" I've never taken drugs or drink alcohol so smoking was my "cool" thing to do growing up.. What a terrible choice ... I only smoked outside but still miss it lime crazy..and Like you I don't know how to stop my constant worry as my brain just repeats you deserve lung cancer as you smoked,, over and over and every month I worry that now is the time and without another X-ray it want be caught in time.. Do any other long term smokers worry about this...

andrea15
05-02-13, 17:47
Thank you so much for your reply. Im in a terrible state about this at the moment and that doctor this morning made me feel awful saying xrays were no good. My go and others including A and E doc said they usually show up if over and internet said no good if its under 1 cm in size.

I worry more because of the guilt Id feel if I had LC. I dont want my kids to go through watching me die of that.

Pm me if you like and we'll keep each other company.

Did any docs tell you how accurate an xray was?

Can I ask your age? Im 42

Andrea x

TotallyBonkers
05-02-13, 19:08
Hi Andrea

I am sorry that you are going through this turmoil still, it is horrible when our health anxiety kicks in full steam ahead because no matter what is said or done can take away the fear that health anxiety people suffer.

I know from reading this and your other posts that you have seen the doctors and had bloods taken and x-rays too. In honesty the differing information you are receiving regarding whether a tumour would show on an x-ray or not I wouldn't mind betting is what is playing on your mind even more.

First off I can remember a long time back having a conversation at my doctors regarding blood tests, I asked them if cancer or any kind would show on one, and their response was that it would definitely give an indication for further investigation. They basically said that one of the many tests they do on the blood (I cant remember the name of the specific one that is part of the blood test) that basically the number given from the test would be an indicator that there was a serious underlying problem and would point in the direction of a possible cancer somewhere in the body. The fact that you have had a blood test and it was OK is fantastic because although a blood test is not a test for cancer, it can be an indicator. The fact it was fine shows that the levels that could indicate the big C were not present in your blood at all. Lung Cancer does show in x-rays as it would show as a shadow on the lung. Now when you combine the blood test being fine along with the x-ray being fine also, these two are great indicators that there is nothing untoward going on within your Lungs.

I do know how it feels to be so fearful of something, and not being able to get past that feeling, but if you can try to focus on the positive results you have had with the tests run to date, then it may help to supress some of your concerns.

The Locum that you saw today would honestly not have said to come back in 4 weeks if they even remotely thought there was a chance you had cancer of the Lung.

Even if there is just the slightest suspicion of a cancer being present then the doctors have a duty of care to ensure that you are seen at the hospital to either confirm or rule out. These referrals have to be done immediately and the person being referred has to be seen within 2 weeks.

I hope that some of this helps you, as I say I do understand how hard it is, but also its important to remember that extreme anxiety can also cause the same symptoms that you are experiencing now, from chest pain. rib pain, back ache and so much more.

Please try to be reassured that your doctors do not think it is lung cancer, even if they were only 99% sure that it wasn't that, then they would have to do a referral, they haven't, so they must be pretty certain of it.

Take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon

andrea15
05-02-13, 20:28
Thanks bonkers!

Once again I really appreciate your time. I spoke to the locum in question because she also did a puffed test where you breathe into a tube but she never said if it was at the expected level. She confirmed on the phone that it was fine and that she doesn't think I have lung cancer so that was reassuring.

I will not go back now until my usual gp is back unless my pain gets worse. I had a nice evening with my parents and kids and feel much better. Also had a nice afternoon at work (Im a Teaching Assistant) so that helped too.

I will probably see the psychologist once this 'episode' has settled down as Im willing to try anything to get rid of my HA, or at least make it less severe.

Thanks again

Andrea xx

andrea15
08-02-13, 17:56
Pains have almost gone. Please let this be the end of this 'episode' then I can see psychologist and finish cbt and hopefully get my head straight.

Thanks to you all for your comments and support

Andrea xxx

TotallyBonkers
08-02-13, 19:30
so pleased it has eased up for you Andrea, at least now you should feel assured it was nothing nasty. :)

andrea15
08-02-13, 21:38
Yeah. Im sure it would be getting worse not better
X

andrea15
09-02-13, 19:15
Pains again. Getting anxious all over again. So sick of this

loulou02
09-02-13, 19:58
If you have been coughing alot or bringing up plegm alot it can be throat lining if its not table spoons i wouldnt worry. The blood can look more than it is when it mixes with mucus/saliva x

andrea15
09-02-13, 20:23
Im not coughing and it was only a couple of pinpricks of blood/red in phlegm from a random one off cough. Dr said Id be unique to present just with rib pain

andrea15
11-02-13, 08:58
Pain came back yesterday, so much for thinking I was OK. Should have gone out for kids birthdays but I had a panic and we had to come home so I ruined everything. Nearly fainted this morning and my daughter went to school in a terrible state, worried sick about me. Just want this all to go away. Why can't the doctors take this seriously. Am terrified I have lung cancer and it will be too late by the time they do a CT scan and find it.

This is ruining our lives.

andrea15
11-02-13, 20:52
Still worried about my nails. Have developed vertical ridges and my nails are shiny. This is the last of 5 stages of nail clubbing but I haven't had the other 4 stages. Could they be happening in reverse order? Im so paranoid its another lung cancer symptom.

Please someone tell me what you would do?

Thanks

andrea15
13-02-13, 17:59
Now yawning a lot. Is this anxiety or low blood oxygen? So worried still

Annie0904
13-02-13, 18:08
Possibly anxiety. This explains why we yawn so much when anxious :
Anxiety causes some unusual physical responses, but yawning is easily one of the strangest. Yet the reason for yawning is actually fairly simple. When you have anxiety, especially anxiety attacks, your body has a tendency to hyperventilate.

When you hyperventilate, your body starts to feel like it's not getting a full breath. As a response, it tries to yawn, because yawning expands the rib cage and sends a signal to your brain that you did indeed get a full breath. In that sense, yawning is trying to tell your body to relax.

andrea15
13-02-13, 19:49
Thanks Annie. I had read that. Googled again. Just think Im so wound up Im looking for every little thing.

almamatters
13-02-13, 20:05
Yawning and sighing was how my anxiety started. Other people used to notice me doing it but I didn't until I was sighing almost continuously . I am sorry you are still feeling like this Andrea, I cannot give much advice as I am the same as you and have severe HA. I would be reassured by your chest X rays though and I think I said in a previous post, I know two different people both diagnosed with lung cancer, both their tumours were spotted on x rays. I know how you feel but I would try and trust in your doctor, having tests can turn into a never ending quest for reassurance and even when you have a clear test result it does not make you feel any better, as your anxiety just finds another lot of symptoms to worry about.
Take care. xx

andrea15
13-02-13, 20:27
Thanks almamatters.

Hope you're doing ok

Xx

almamatters
13-02-13, 20:31
Thanks almamatters.

Hope you're doing ok

Xx

I'm ok thanks Andrea.

andrea15
14-02-13, 21:28
Now have a stinking headache. Another symptom of low blood oxygen. Ordered a finger optimeter today to check it myself. Think Im taking things too far ordering my own medical equipment!

lilboops
17-02-13, 18:18
Andrea,

I found your posts through a search (I got a cold this week - third one this winter), and today when I coughed, there were slight specks/streaks of blood what I brought up.

I've had this before, and was looking for my posts on it to remind myself.

I've been breathing through my mouth for 6 days. My throat is dry. When I sleep, all the stuff from my head drains into my throat/chest. When I breathe in, I can feel all the gunk and cough. Violently. It causes blood vessels to burst. I am short of breath when active this week. FROM THE COLD.

What my GP told me the last time this happened was it is only worrisome if there are TEASPOONS of blood coming out. TEASPOONS. Not little streaks. Not little specks.

I am 41, about to turn 42. I smoke as well. I had a chest xray a year ago. I wont stress if you wont, okay? It's a cold. You're coughing. You're fine.

Also..Verticle ridges on fingernails are NORMAL with aging and genetics. It has nothing to do with clubbing.

My mom had LC. She didn't present with a single "lung" symptom. Not a one.

As ironic as this sounds, breathe.

andrea15
17-02-13, 18:40
Thanks for the post lil.

I've tried to tell myself it was from coughing and I should accept the xray as proof but its almost impossible for me. Im seeing my gp Tuesday, see what happens.

I just wish I could relax and get some decent sleep. Would you accept the xray as proof its nothing?

Andrea x

lilboops
17-02-13, 19:27
Hi.

Yes.

My mom had an incidental chest xray, which is where they saw a 1cm tumour.

She had had ZERO lung symptoms. I wont go into details about what happened with her or her symptoms, but know that the first step in diagnosing CA is the xray.

Her blood work was also off the charts.

Yours is not.

You. Have. A. Cold. Or. Flu. The aches. The coughing. HELLO?

Stop it. You have to. For yourself, your partner, and your kids.

andrea15
17-02-13, 20:03
Thanks. Unfortunately the pains are nothing to do with my cold. I've had them for too long now. I am trying to keep it together but I dont know how to stop this terrible worrying. I need to rule LC out for definite in order to move on thats why I want the ct scan. Its the 'gold standard' test for it.

I appreciate your time commenting

Andrea x

andrea15
18-02-13, 21:41
So....in my head I see a tumour in lower left lung with meta to liver causing right rib pain and nausea. Also in swollen lymph node in neck.

Why do I do this to myself?

R4963
19-02-13, 16:02
Hi Andrea, I really do know how you feel. I've had pains in upper back right hand side and right rib cage for a couple of months now. I went to see my GP who listened to my chest and said the left side was taking more air in the right so coupled with the pains i was having sent me for a chest xray. I had to wait 5 days for the x ray and i was convinced over that time it was the end for me. I was going to leave my 4 and 2 year old without a mummy. As it was the chest x ray was clear. The chest x ray did reassure me it wasn't cancer. As far as i'm aware, the only time you get pain from tumours is when they grow and start squashing or pressing into parts of your body so that would come up on the X ray. I gave up smoking 5 years ago but also thought - i smoked for 10 years I deserve this.
Anyway, i'm onto the next deadly disease even though the pain is still there.
I hope you're feeling better today, R x

andrea15
19-02-13, 20:42
Thanks for the post.

Had a good day for me, very little pain. Have got referral for self-funded ct scan because of the state I got myself into. Dr is not concerned enough to do one on NHS. I can't afford it but I can't live not knowing for definite. Feel relieved test being done but also apprehensive about going. Hope they ring tomorrow. Hate waiting.

Im assuming from kids ages that you're quite young so you'd be very unlikely to have had it plus 10 years is not long, unless you were on 40 a day?

What are you worrying about at the moment? Pm me if you like. May not be able to help but I'll gladly talk about stuff. Am on quite a bit during the day on and off.

Andrea x

worryguts999
21-02-13, 20:36
Hi-everything you mention in your post rings a bell. Aches and pains in arm/shoulder, tingling in ribs,cough or odd bout of wheezing has GOT to be LC. After 2 chest x-rays and numerous bloods, I'm still not convinced!! Smoked 10/15 roll ups per day for 30+yrs . H/A is a nightmare and yes, this long termer DOES worry-it's hard to stop!! Cheers. worryguts999

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Andrea, your worries are the same as mine.. I've become obsessed with lung cancer and like you have seen various doctors have had 2 X-rays 1 yr apart but still (even as I type this) am sure they have missed something.. 12mths ago I had a slight dry cough which of course become chronic due to my anxiety X-ray clear cough got better, then worried about my throat always sucking lozenges..so I stopped smoking for 3 weeks using patches and throat got better and so did cough so stupidly I started smoking a cigarette here and there but before long but to 15-20 so a day which is what I've done for nearly 27 yrs.. Then I was getting weird tingling ache across my back so back to dr.. He ordered another chest and back X-ray which was also clear but for the last few months I've had aches around the sides of my ribs.. So my anxiety skyrockets and I hardly sleep constantly look up google and spend all night crying thinking of my 6yr growing up without a mum.. Ive once again stopped smoking but what terrifies me is that smokers can get lung cancer years after quitting...so the fear never leaves me... My Gp said I was suffering from "smokers guilt" I've never taken drugs or drink alcohol so smoking was my "cool" thing to do growing up.. What a terrible choice ... I only smoked outside but still miss it lime crazy..and Like you I don't know how to stop my constant worry as my brain just repeats you deserve lung cancer as you smoked,, over and over and every month I worry that now is the time and without another X-ray it want be caught in time.. Do any other long term smokers worry about this...
99 Re: still worried about lungs
Hi Caro 3965-everything you mention in your post rings a bell. Aches and pains in arm/shoulder, tingling in ribs,cough or odd bout of wheezing has GOT to be LC. After 2 chest x-rays and numerous bloods, I'm still not convinced!! Smoked 10/15 roll ups per day for 30+yrs . H/A is a nightmare and yes, this long termer DOES worry-it's hard to stop!! Cheers. worryguts999

andrea15
21-02-13, 23:05
I have a referral for a self funded ct scan on Monday but they're not sure if dr at clinic will agree to doing it because the only symptom my gp out on referral was rib pain. She didn't mention coughing up blood or weight loss which were important factors for me wanting the test. Its made it look like she wanted them to refuse me. Im so angry that she left so much info off the referral. The private clinic now have the full facts from me s I have to await a decision on Monday morning. Sods law I've had no pains since Tuesday!

Caro3965
03-03-13, 18:13
Hi how did you go with your CT scan? I've got one booked for Tuesday and here it is nearly 5.30am still awake worrying about what it might show... Crazy...

andrea15
03-03-13, 19:11
No tumour but found 2 nodules. One in each lung. Have to have rescan in 4 months to check for growth. I wish Id never had the ct as now Im terrified all over again. Worried its mets from elsewhere now instead of lung cancer. Hope you get on ok. The ct scan was easy, nothing to worry about. Good luck. Pm me if you'd like to xx

maddierose98
03-03-13, 22:26
the good thing is you've identified what I'm assuming is the cause of coughing up blood/rib pain ect, is there anything they can do about the nodules or if not they should explain to you about them. I'd just like to mention I've been in your position, I once got chest pain and "heart attack symptoms" which was probably just anxiety, but I was told I had a pulled muscle/nerve. Like you, no matter how many repeated tests I did was certain I was having a heart attack and that they were missing something. If your having very bad anxiety maybe try an antidepressant? I've been taking Lovan (type of Prozac) for 3 days with no side effects. Best wishes xxxxxx

andrea15
04-03-13, 09:13
They dont think the nodules caused my symptoms. If I hadn't insisted on ct I wouldn't know I had them. Im so cross I had it done unnecessarily and now I have to live with the fear of not knowing what they are. Thats the downside to us HA sufferers insisting on tests.

Lost2010
04-03-13, 22:09
Hi andrea,

Did you manage to speak with you GP today? If I remember rightly you were going today? Hope all is well.

andrea15
04-03-13, 23:05
Yes I did thanks. She doesn't think its mets from elsewhere and says I shouldn't worry. She said picking up things like these is the downside to scans because they pick up so much. Im having a mammogram so that'll be one less cancer to worry about! Ill still worry until I've had my next scan but Im trying to keep it to a minimum. I need to make sure I eat properly or the weight will fall off and that al make me worry more. It falls of when Im really worried.

Can't believe I've got 4 months of this :wacko:

andrea15
07-03-13, 08:57
Where can I get an answer about whether multiple lung nodules are usually mets? My dr was very vague. No lung specialist has seen my scan, just the radiologist. Im going out of my mind here