PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 weeks on medication

Princess2206
23-01-13, 14:25
Hi All, I am taking SSRI for 45 days now for anxiety/ depression. I defiantly improved in compare to week 1-3 but I am still not back to myself yet. I still suffer anxiety every morning and like today I feel shaky and panicky. Just wonder what is your experience with medication? Should I still be patient or they just no good to me? I feel really disappointed and hopeless. :weep:

saintanselm
23-01-13, 14:42
There is no one definitive answer on this I'm afraid. I've been assured that it can take up to three months for a SSRI to have full effect. I don't believe they would have had an effect in weeks 1 to 3 other than that of a placebo effect. My suggestion is to stick with it for the moment and wait for three months. If you discontinue now you may never know if they had worked and just go back to square one with another SSRI. I know its tough and I've been there but try and stick with it. That stated I'm not a doctor and if in doubt go and have a chat with him/ her.

Princess2206
23-01-13, 15:02
Thank you very much for your advice. My appointment has been cancelled today and I am going to see her on Friday that is why I am so anxious today.

Tufty
23-01-13, 20:00
Hi Princess, I've read some of your other posts and know you're on Fluorextine, I have taken it in the past and it took a long time for me to feel consistently OK on it, I'd say about 3 months. It is known to be a slow worker and if you are tolerating it I would try to give it a couple more weeks if you can. I believed it wasn't working for me and so started reducing the dose to come off it and try something different but then started to feel better, that was after 60 days of 20mg and then 40mg. Sometimes a dose adjustment is all that is needed rather than changing, be guided by your doc and your own gut feeling, if you feel confident that the drug is going to work for you you'll see much better effects.
Take care
Love Sam

Princess2206
24-01-13, 07:46
Thank you so much Sam. I just would like to hear if anyone had similar experience with this medication and had to wait longer for them to work. It is my 7th week on 20mg and still feel bad especially in the mornings. Any story like yours Sam really helps me to be patient and more positive. Thanks again. xxx