PDA

View Full Version : New to this and struggling...

Sunshine77
23-01-13, 19:38
Hi,

I've been reading this forum for the last week but only just felt up to registering.

About me: I'm currently suffering anxiety (raw FEAR like I've never known, and panic attacks) and depression. I'm a recovering alcoholic, member of AA, sober 8 years, and although fear was a big part of my drinking days I haven't suffered anxiety at all over the last 8 years so this is all new to me.

I was on Fluoxetine 20mg in 2011-2012 for depression and came off it gradually in October to November which unfortunately coincided with me starting a stressful new job and my father trying to commit suicide which has been really difficult. I pushed myself through it but Christmas was awful and I went back on the fluoxetine on 31/12. However on 07/01 I had a complete meltdown and have been signed off work ever since. Doc changed me to Citalopram and I'm on Day 6 and feeling worse...

Meant to go back to work next Weds and at the moment just cannot imagine it - am scared of my shadow and still not eating / sleeping properly. So frightened.

Probably too much info for an initial post but wasn't sure where else to put it!

Thanks for all the helpful posts I've read on this forum so far - they give me hope :)

nomorepanic
23-01-13, 19:48
Hi Sunshine77

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Mark13
23-01-13, 19:51
Hello and welcome.

Good luck with the Citalopram. Like most SSRIs (although you've already been on fluoxetine) you sometimes feel worse before getting better.

Birdiegirl
23-01-13, 20:00
Hello sunshine, I'm new as well, just joined today. I've been thinking about asking for citalopram (not tried SSRIs before) but have indeed heard that it takes a while before you feel any benefit. Anyway, hang in there, this site seems like a really helpful and friendly place to be and looking at the menu, lots of advice. You are not alone, in fact, WE are not alone. Judging by the numbers viewing all the various posts, we are anything but!:shrug: Don't give up hope, the light at the end of the tunnel may be a bit dim at the moment but keep believing it will start to get brighter soon.

Sunshine77
23-01-13, 20:20
Thanks Mark. I didn't get this with the Fluoxetine, although I was suffering purely from depression at the time rather than with panic & anxiety, perhaps that's why.

Just trying to believe that it will improve...

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Thanks Birdiegirl, it's so isolating feeling this way that it's good to have support from this forum isn't it? Citalopram may not be the one for you; maybe be guided by your doctor?

Good luck x

kittikat
23-01-13, 23:27
Hello & :welcome:

I hope you get as much from being here as I have.

Kitti :)

Baggs
24-01-13, 00:20
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. All the best.

Baggs

missfishlash
24-01-13, 00:28
Welcome, Im new too and its a great site with so many kind and helpful people who will help you so much....Ive got so much from it already
:hugs: