PDA

View Full Version : Really worried about swollen ankle and foot

Chrissy88
24-01-13, 13:41
Hi all,

A few days ago I woke up to a sore left ankle, the pain goes up to about a quarter of my left leg. It's sore to touch in certain areas and I can't put a shoe on that foot as it's too painful. I'm not too concerned about this, what is really worrying me is that after some excercise yesterday my ankle and foot has swelled right up and i'm getting quite a bit of numbness/tingling in my left foot and toes. I'm even finding i'm getting the same sensations a little bit in my lower left leg and even my left hand. I went to the doctor, he doesn't seem to think it's anything serious, just some soft tissue damage that will clear up in about a month, but this numbness, especially the fact that i'm also getting it in my left hand is really scaring me. Has anyone had an ankle injury and also had these numb/tingling sensations? Just really need some advice or peace of mind right now.

PinkRoxy
24-01-13, 20:32
I'm sorry you are feeling like this. If it continues then I would definitely go back to your doctor and get them to do some tests. I don't think it would be anything too serious. But maybe you could have some fluid retention going on there. I remember when my nana was getting swollen feet and hands it turned out that she had fluid retention and I think she got some tablets which made her feel better.

But I would recommend going back to the doctor about it if its not getting better, doctors do tend to not do much when you complain about it the first time but they will if you keep complaining about something.

I hope it does get better for you and you are able to get it sorted.

Chrissy88
25-01-13, 10:33
Thanks PinkRoxy. I'm just getting the swelling around the foot and ankle that i've injured somehow, so i'm not sure if it's fluid retention. I'm still getting the numbness in my left foot and hand which has nearly sent me into full blown panic mode a few times. I could go to the ER, but i'm absolutely terrified of hospitals so unless I absolutely need to go there I stay far away from them. I'm going to try and get an appointment with another doctor tomorrow to get a second opinion. I'm really scared I could have a blood clot or something which is blocking the blood flow a bit, causing the numbness.

Jenwales
25-01-13, 10:46
Numbness and tingling is an axiety symptom. If you told your doctor about this and he said it's all fine then don't worry.
Otherwise make an appointment, I'm sure he'll understand.
I have a similar situation before and found out if was anxiety but it's always best to get a doctor's opinion if you havn't had one

PinkRoxy
25-01-13, 22:16
I would go back to a different doctor and just explain your worries to them and explain what you think it might be which is making you anxious. Most doctors do understand and they will do their best to make sure you mind is at peace. When you book ask for a doctor that is quite popular that way you know you are getting a good doctor even if they are not available for a couple of days or so.

I truly think its nothing to be worried about and it could be anxiety related but I would just to put your mind at ease see a good doctor about it.

shellyruby40
26-01-13, 00:35
Hi all,

A few days ago I woke up to a sore left ankle, the pain goes up to about a quarter of my left leg. It's sore to touch in certain areas and I can't put a shoe on that foot as it's too painful. I'm not too concerned about this, what is really worrying me is that after some excercise yesterday my ankle and foot has swelled right up and i'm getting quite a bit of numbness/tingling in my left foot and toes. I'm even finding i'm getting the same sensations a little bit in my lower left leg and even my left hand. I went to the doctor, he doesn't seem to think it's anything serious, just some soft tissue damage that will clear up in about a month, but this numbness, especially the fact that i'm also getting it in my left hand is really scaring me. Has anyone had an ankle injury and also had these numb/tingling sensations? Just really need some advice or peace of mind right now.

hi chrissy.
i could have written this post.last year i had concerns about my swelling tingling ankle that went up my leg and calf..convinced myself that i had a clot somewhere there and because i was pancking so much dr sent me to the hospital for a scan on leg and it was fine..they diagnosed fibro something or other..anyway that reasured me.i do remember the numbness and tingling is what scared me about it..the sensations in your left hand also could be referred pain type thing, if youve a a ache or pain somewhere it can come up somewhere completey different..i was constantly checking my ankle so much that i wanted to measure both to see the difference.i think i did at some point lol..the swelling has come up because if youve a soft tissue injury anyway and youve done a bit of exercise and its aggravated it and made it swell..the tingling also could be down to a mixture of the soft tissue pain which can make it feel numb plus an anxiety symptom also.
i would definalty go back to drs just to put your mind at rest for yourself.
put your foot up to reduce swelling and hopefully you ll notice the swelling going down and the tingling will ease
hugs..know how you feel.xx

Chrissy88
26-01-13, 08:40
Thanks everyone for the replies. shellyruby40- Thank you so much! That has helped put my mind at ease a fair bit. I will definitely make an appointment to see another doctor though so I can fully stop worrying.

shellyruby40
27-01-13, 20:45
,it so helps if someone has had the same as you and you know your not the only one,hows it feeling now.i remember being scared stiff when mine was like that.xx

Chrissy88
30-01-13, 08:45
It's still a bit sore, and i'm still gettng tingling on and off. I saw a different doctor and i'm going to get an ultrasound on my ankle in a couple of days.

shellyruby40
06-02-13, 10:21
It's still a bit sore, and i'm still gettng tingling on and off. I saw a different doctor and i'm going to get an ultrasound on my ankle in a couple of days.
Chrissy did you manage to get an ultrasound on your ankle x

Chrissy88
07-02-13, 05:02
Hi shellyruby40, yes I did. I got the results yesterday, they came back clear, there's nothing wrong that they can see. The doctor just thinks that i've pulled a tendon. It's still painful to touch, but i'm not getting anymore swelling or tingling which has eased my anxiety greatly. Thanks for your replies. :)

shellyruby40
07-02-13, 14:16
Hi shellyruby40, yes I did. I got the results yesterday, they came back clear, there's nothing wrong that they can see. The doctor just thinks that i've pulled a tendon. It's still painful to touch, but i'm not getting anymore swelling or tingling which has eased my anxiety greatly. Thanks for your replies. :)
that good news chrissy..a pulled tendon is painful.take it easy x