PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Withdrawal - Could use some advice

Bel8
24-01-13, 13:42
Hi

I have been on Citalopram 20 mg for about a year for anxiety. A few lifestyle changes (like my job) and about a year of counceling later, I am ready to try life without medical assistance. My doctor told me to reduce to 10 mg for a week (started that 2 days ago) then used 10 mg every alternate day for the week thereafter and I should no feel any withdrawal symptoms.

Mentally I managing fine without them, but physically I feel so ill. Dizzy (to the point I feel like passing out), headache (like jackhammers on my head), nausea (to the point of throwing up) and feeling generally off-colour. My question is three fold.
1. Is this "normal"?
2. How long can I expect this to last?
3. Is there anything I can do to minimise the withdrawal symptoms? I work a full day and cannot afford to feel like this, nor can I afford to take time off when I feel ill.

Any comments, especially if your circumstances are or have been similar.

Thanking you in advance.

With warm regards,

Bel8

mike2512
25-01-13, 08:28
Yes its very normal to feel ill whilst tapering off them. My advice would be to do it as slow as possible, I think i came off them to fast and my withdrawals lasted a few months. I feel like maybe i should go back on them but the thought of the side effects put me off.

Just try not to worry because all your symptoms are due to the citalopram.

Take care.

Bel8
28-01-13, 09:33
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, it is helpful to know it is normal ...

After two days of feeling like death warmed up, the symptoms have lessoned and I feel like I can almost function normally. I seem to hit the dip for 3 - 4 days after I start to taper and after that return to feeling a little nauseas, dizzy and a mild headache, but it is definately manageable.

Take care,

Bel8