PDA

View Full Version : Spent the morning in hospital...

Anxiety Jim
24-01-13, 13:57
Hi,

I was posting yesterday about difficulty passing urine, and I thought it might be a UTI or something. Well this morning I was woken by the worst pain I've ever experienced, from my back on the left to my groin. I could barely walk, and I was rolling about in agony.

My mother took me to A+E at about 8, I then proceeded to roll about on the waiting room floor, throwing up into a cardboard bowl because the pain was so bad. After an hour of rolling about I was finally seen, given some morphine, which didn't really help, and then had x-rays, blood tests and urine tests. After about 3 hours in the hospital the pain disappeared over a few minutes. The Dr came back saying it was kidney stones, he gave me some strong pain killers, he said I could go because the pain had gone and said to see my GP ASAP.

Has anyone got any experience with kidney stones? Any advice on what to do whilst waiting to see the GP (probably in a few days)?

Thanks,

Elle-Kay
24-01-13, 14:12
My Dad had kidney stones a few years ago. He actually stayed in hospital as the pain was constant and he needed a morphine drip, but I remember that there were basically two options:
1. he should drink loads and they would pass naturally
2. if they didn't pass naturally the hospital would blast them with ultrasonic treatment, so they would pass in tiny pieces.
In the end Dad passed them naturally (then kept them in a jar to show everyone for a while, lol).

Anxiety Jim
24-01-13, 14:21
The doctor I saw at the hospital said they would probably pass, but he also said it would "hurt like hell" so I'm not looking forward to that.

My dad's had them twice, and it certainly didn't look pleasant. Hopefully my GP can get me the ultrasound.

I'm really worried that the pain is going to come back, and I won't know what to do. I can't go off to A+E again, and I doubt co-codamol or (strong ibuprofen type stuff) will help much.

Thanks for the reply.

Anxious_gal
24-01-13, 14:47
I havent been diagnosed but I have had what I believe to be kidney stone pain.
It's only happened a few times, but I would be peeing or trying to pee when I would get this god awful pain in my lower back side that traveled over to my pelvic/bladder area.
The pain would increase to the point I'd be lying on the floor struggling to breathe.
It was very intense. It lasted maybe 20 minutes.

It's not happened now in 2 years so I think maybe I peed it out or something.

I couldn't imagine having that pain for longer than what I had, it was so intense I could barely breathe, and I was on the floor as I could not move.

It must have been pretty scary for you to have that pain for so long : (

I have a few times felt that pain creeping back it but like I said it only happened when peeing, so I would stop and get up and it seemed to prevent the pain from increasing.

I would ask your doctor for a strong pain killer, just in case you have another attack.
from what i read a lot of attacks last maybe 20 minutes, so by the time the tablet kicked in.. so I would see if you could get the ones you mix with water as they absorb much faster than regular tablets.

If you can't cope with the pain or it lasts too long go to hospital or call an ambulance.
Pain is pain and you have every right to get the medical help you need x