PDA

View Full Version : Any reassurance? :(

ReissG
25-01-13, 11:28
My Dr said I have a Sebacious Cyst on my neck, it's just above the adams apple.
It's not attached to the skin, but it's attached to under the skin, like on my muscle or whatever is there.
It pops about as the Dr said (moves)
Are cysts usually attached to things under the skin or are they usually attached to the skin?
Also do they grow? I'm really scared that this has grown since I first found it like 4 months ago, if its grow, it's grown by like 2mm, the cyst itself is like 5mm x 2mm, it's tiny.
Do you think I'm being paranoid and it hasn't grown?

Also, lumps that form with mouth/throat cancer, are they lymph nodes? or can they just form lumps in your neck?

Basically, when a cancer of the mouth or throat causes a lump in your neck, is that lump always a lymph node?

Eek
25-01-13, 12:28
My son has a sebacious cyst on the back of his neck. The doctor said he won't bother removing it unless it gets too big, so yes a cyst can grow bigger. Sebacious cysts are harmless and they only really need removing if they get annoying. My son's isn't attached to the skin it's under the skin.

The fact that it moves makes it very unlikely to be cancer so don't worry about that, trust your doctor :)

ReissG
25-01-13, 13:13
Thank you :)

Does your sons move under the skin?
And is it like attached to the skin under the skin if that makes sense? Like attached to his back then when you push down onit moves around?

boogal
30-01-13, 17:44
My hubby had the same thing several years ago on his back and it moved in the way you're asking about. The doc told him there was no point in removing it unless it got larger and became inconvenient, which it did. It stayed the same size for years and then enlarged and could be seen under his jacket, so he had it removed.

It was a quick procedure at the hospital and done under local anaesthetic in about 10 mins. They may occasionally re-grow but are harmless.

A friend had one in his throat right under his Adam's apple from being a teenager. He had it removed about twenty years later because it was starting to get a bit bigger, but it was quick and simple to remove.

I understand that these cysts are quite common and that doctors can recognise them easily and give a correct diagnosis.