PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosed with MS - Seriously get your worries checked THOROUGHLY!!

HazyMind
25-01-13, 17:28
Ok I really don't wanna worry anyone here and I truly apologise if I upset anyone but I need to do this as i do not want anyone to suffer the way I have over the years...

I will post this and wont sign back in here as i need to try and cope with things..

So over the years I have had many symptoms, first came the extreme dizziness and unbalanced feeling (10 years ago!) .... At first it was an infection and then when I went back with not feeling right the anxiety diagnosis started...
I will not be able to go into the whole of my story as because of the MS my hands become very weak and then my arms and I cannot carry on typing but I will type as much as i can...
So the last 7 years I had trouble walking and stamina issues and extreme weakness and heaviness and numbness.... All this according to my doctor was anxiety (even though I did not feel anxious as I look back now it seems I had been brainwashed in to having anxiety :( .... )

I'm sure most people here do have anxiety but the reason for this post is to make sure people are listened to and get the right help and tests because had my diagnosis been made when this all started (10 years ago :( ) things would have been easier to prepare for and this disease may have slowed down but now it has stopped me walking without support and I am rapidly getting worse..

My recommendation is to post questions on medical sites (even yahoo answers has professional doctors answering) and state your symptoms and ask exactly what tests you need your doc to check for!!!
My doctors never tested anything - they just did some blood tests and told me all was fine.... Even though I had trouble walking no doctor ever asked to watch me walk - just told me to take the beta blockers ARGHHHHH!
I did see one very good doctor at my surgery - explained to him everything I had to the other doctors there and he tested me and was told I need to see a neuro.

I do not want to slag off all docs here but some of the comments I got from my doctors were disgusting and I was often laughed out the surgery even when in tears as no doctor there would listen to me .... I was eventually sent to MAU examined by amazingly good doctors, tests, examinations and MRIs and finally got the answers as to why I felt the way i did.

I do not want to frighten anyone here as I am sure you will be fine just please please make sure you are getting the right tests done - don't let it get like me to the point I couldn't walk alone!!!!!!

I wont post here again but I wish you all the best!!!

Peace love & light xxxxxxxxxx

Daisy Sue
25-01-13, 18:35
hi Hazymind... i haven't ever posted to you, or read your posts even, as i'm new here, but wow that one just blew me away.

i am so sorry that you've had this very serious diagnosis. i am also heartbroken for you, that you've had to suffer years of doctors not listening, not acting appropriately, and even humiliating you... simply because you were telling them the truth of your symptoms, time and time again... which is what we all do. we trust our doctors, nurses, surgeons - even those of us with known anxiety, we half expect (well i know i do) to hear the word anxiety banded around during most consultations, but when it's used to explain away physical symptoms such as difficulty walking, prolonged dizziness, numbness etc., i think it's time to get 2nd and 3rd opinions, if that's what it takes to get thoroughly tested and proved to be 'only anxiety'.

your post will help many people, and i think you're so very brave and thoughtful for coming in here and sharing your story, at this time in your life.

i hope you do post again.. but if not, i hope you read.. as i'm sure there'll be many more posts in this thread..

i wish you all the very best. xx

Annie0904
25-01-13, 18:43
HazyMind I am really sorry that you have had to go through all this and then get the news you have and thank you for sharing it. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

cattia
25-01-13, 19:13
Hello Hazymind, remember having a physical illness doesn't stop you from also having anxiety so you should feel free to come back and use the board of you need to. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully with the right treatment your MS symptoms will improve. Do you know what type of MS you have? I know there are some types that go into remission. I think it's good advice to ensure that your doctor takes you seriously. I know many of us worry about being fobbed off by a doctor and I think it takes a good doctor to establish a strong relationship with an anxiety sufferer and discern which tests are actually necessary and which ones might just increase our anxiety. I think the problems start when people have had the tests but don't believe the results. I do hope you can get the treatment you need to get your life back on track and start to feel better!