PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Disorder

cmac
26-01-13, 10:02
Hi everyone, joined to see if anyone having similar problems to me.

About 6 weeks ago i started getting chest pains, for some reason i convinced myself i was going to have a heart attack. So i went to the hospital where they tested my heart and told me i had probably just aggravated my gullet. The chest pains eventually went to be replaced with headaches, i then checked on the internet and was convinced i had a brain tumour, again after being reassured by the doctor the problems went. I then started to feel dizzy and spaced out for hours on end, the doctor told me to get my eyes tested, which i did and i turned out i needed glasses for close work. As if by magic all symptons disappeared for a few days, i really thought that was the end of that. The chest pains then came back along with a feeling of a lump in my throat as well as food getting stuck in my gullet. The doctor said i had acid reflux, which he gave me medication for and it went away to be replaced by the dizziness and spaced out feeling again. I have also been getting random pains in my chest again and abdomen. The doctor thinks i have a anxiety disorder and has given me 20mg citalopram to take, which are making me feel awful. He assured me it will get better and to stick with it. Iam just struggling to convince myself that it isnt something serious.

Forgot to add, they have done blood tests and everything has come back fine.

I have never suffered from anything like this before and was wondering if anyone has suffered similar.

Thanks.

stamags
26-01-13, 10:14
Hi. Yes yes yes to all your symptoms, even after being told its anxiety you still question the diagnosis.

june
26-01-13, 10:21
I have been told many times that these symptoms are "just" anxiety:ohmy: BUT they are very scary :weep:
at the moment i have bad backache, plus awful noises in my head - feel as if my head will explode and as if i am going to faint.:weep::weep:
june

cmac
26-01-13, 10:27
Thanks for reply, just that has given me a boost. Everytime i get reassured, iam OK for a couple of days, then it is back to having the symptons. The doctor told me it is in my head, i told him it may be in my head but the symptons are very real to me. I believe the cause behind this anxiety, is me trying to self diagnosis myself by google. I truly thought i was going to have a heart attack, followed by a brain tumour then cancer.

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

I have been told many times that these symptoms are "just" anxiety:ohmy: BUT they are very scary :weep:
at the moment i have bad backache, plus awful noises in my head - feel as if my head will explode and as if i am going to faint.:weep::weep:
june

They are very scary, the doctor told me the brain was a powerful thing and can cause many symptons.

Pipkin
26-01-13, 10:30
I could have written your post myself 10 years ago so I know exactly what you mean. Try reading some of the articles available from the menu on the left, if you haven't already. Start with this one - it helps to explain some of the symptoms you're experiencing.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/anxiety/

Pip

cmac
26-01-13, 10:32
Thankyou

CharlesBC
26-01-13, 10:35
If you've been checked out physically then don't be to concerned, sounds very familiar. When I'm going through a bad patch, i get all of the symptoms you described. For while I had investigations to see if i had a bowel/stomach condition, blood tests, internal exams (nice!) etc etc all came back clear. The mind is an unbelievably powerful if sometimes unhelpful thing.