PDA

View Full Version : yellow.

dizzylizzy
26-01-13, 21:22
Yellow!
New to the crew here.
Linked from Google looking up a med I started recently (Clomipramine) to see what 'lovely' experiences others have with it.
I have Narcolepsy and was trying out this med to help control cataplexy - a symptom of the sleep disorder that causes your muscles to weaken when experiencing strong emotions, most commonly laughter.
The cataplexy wasn't affecting me too much til recently as I have started to fall completely to the ground compared to the wobbly knees, funny droopy face feelings that I had previously experienced.
I have experienced anxiety/depression symptoms in the past and when I was diagnosed with this sleep disorder it made sense to me I was feeling this way due to excessive sleepiness, disappointment in myself not being able to keep up with others, and likely subconsciously avoiding social situations(where I would potentially be excited/laugh and bring on this strange cataplexy sensation).
I signed up to ask about this specific med and other similar meds I might replace it with but am now realizing I have also been in denial and avoiding admitting to or being proactive about my anxiety. I have been focusing on fixing the sleep issues - they are So important. Maybe I developed issues for reasons relating to Narcolepsy but I am now realizing they are still there and not to be ignored. I am now happy to be here so that I can potentially chat about other issues that I shouldn't be ashamed of. Hopefully. We'll see who/if anyone reads these posts :P
Still weighing pros n cons of meds vs living with cataplexy. Maybe I can find one that helps anxiety too!
I'll post other specific qs n comments in other appropriate threads. I've made my hello long enough, enough to say it again, Hello whoever may still be reading!!

PS anyone who has any qs for me feel free to msg - I assume I've an inbox somewhere? or reply. Happy to share any info/awareness of Narcolepsy as it isn't well known and many people live with it for years without knowing or misdiagnosed as something else.
PSS no more panic - don't panic - yellow - bulldozer - hitchhiker's guide <3

Baggs
26-01-13, 21:28
Hey Lizzy,
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

nomorepanic
26-01-13, 21:32
Hi dizzylizzy

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Fenrir
27-01-13, 02:57
:welcome: Lizzy :flowers:

ynos
27-01-13, 16:40
:welcome:

Mark13
27-01-13, 21:36
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

:sofa:

I just found this graphic, it's included for no other reason than I like it :)

Daisy Sue
27-01-13, 21:53
hi Dizzylizzy, welcome to the forum :)

i know a little of the sleep disorder, but i know nothing about cataplexy, other than what you've said above.. is this something that can be overcome, like you can with anxiety?

glad to have you here - i hope you find lots of support and maybe some answers :)

dizzylizzy
28-01-13, 05:30
I'm honored you chose to share your new fave graphic with us Mark.
It is sofa-scinating!

Daisy - just had to double check to answer you but as suspected there are no behavioral treatments for cataplexy. Except avoiding emotion ;) No wonder I'm an introvert!

If I find something really funny, or am excited/proud, perhaps startled, I 'flop'. I call it flopping instead of "an incident of cataplexy" because that sounds so boring and it is usually describing a funny incident so I give it more fitting terminology. I lose muscle control. (when you dream you don't act out the dream that your brain is experiencing because your muscles are paralyzed, so just like I can get really sleepy at inappropriate times in the day, sometimes my muscles give out after a random emotional trigger)

Anyway it has recently been both extremely humorous and scary for me. I usually have about a seconds warning to find somewhere to sit or lean or slump to the ground. This is when it is full blown, I appear to be unconscious but am completely aware. I hear people saying things like "what do we do" or laughing at me if they know whats up, and I lie there thinking I'm ok!! and just have to wait a couple minutes for it to pass before being able to speak or move.

I am fine with it if someone around me knows what's up! I think it can be fun for people to trigger or something - makes them feel extra funny :P

However, I just moved to a new city and know nobody except my sister - this lil symptom will likely dissuade me from properly socializing and enjoying myself :( I may need to weigh my pros n cons again as I thought I had just figured it out that I would not put up with more med side effects but it can be so embarrassing to have to explain on the spot. or regardless might just plain freak people out because they don't understand it.