PDA

View Full Version : Is this anxiety?

kittie
25-09-03, 14:32
I really hope someone can help me.

For most of my life I've suffered with anxiety and depression - it's stopped me from doing lots of things and now I've got to the point where I have no ambitions in life. Anxiety makes me think that if I don't worry about something bad happening, something bad will happen. This means that for the last 12 months I have been in a permanent state of fear about being ill - I've caused myself no end of pain and I suffer from IBS, TMJ syndrome etc.

I cannot even think of getting in a car, train (or God forbid) a plane without thinking the worst. I manage but I really feel life is passing me by.

I worry constantly about my health - I shook with fear this week because I thought I'd got to go to the Dentist. (In fact I think I have been grinding my teeth in the night).

Is this really all down to anxiety - it's truly stealing my life.:(

bishop
25-09-03, 14:54
hi kitty
try asking for help from a good friend,ask some one too take you out each day,even if its too the local shop and back,that would make a start,if you cant find a friend perhaps ask for help from your doctor for home visits,the dentists does home visits as well,if you let him know,also ask for help from socail services who will get someone too take you out each day,say too the park,swimming etc.let us know how you on ,chin up.
bish

Meg
25-09-03, 16:56
Hi Kittie,

Sounds like anxiety with a lot of obsessive thinking involved and yours just happens to be health related. Many people get this in various guises. It's where you get something in your head and cannot let it go. Just like getting a song stuck in your head.

I guess you're a pretty negative thinker- like the rest of us - so it's only natural that you'd get negative thoughts stuck instead of songs.

Changing the thoughts is the answer . The rest follows..

Let me know what you think before I go off recommending books and exercises to help you with this.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

kittie
26-09-03, 09:03
:)

Thanks both.

I can still get out and about to work, but anything else (like going out for a meal, meeting hubby's friends) and I am on edge all night waiting for something bad to happen.

You have hit the nail on the head Radar - negative thinking is the only type I have. I am so scared that if I think positive - I'll get a "kick in the teeth" for thinking good things will happen. I suppose it's happened in the past and I'm scared it'll happen again.
It's a vicious cycle I need to break I think.

helenuk
30-09-03, 23:38
Hi Kitty'this is the first time that i have entered my thoughts on this great website and seem to see a lot of myself in you. I too,have obsessive thoughts,usually about health related issues. I have in the past convinced myself that i have.... H.I.V, various different cancers, hepatitis and the list goes on! It even got to the stage where i was afraid to clean my own blood up incase i cought anything!!! I look back and feel so embarassed by that but at the time all my fears were so real and my life was just a living death. There is a history of depression in my family and my mum is an alcoholic so i guess that that could add to it. I was on paxil-or seroxat as it is called here for 3 years on and off but have now changed to celexa or citralopam-sorry,not sure which country you are from. Anyway,i just wanted to let you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel-sadly mine was only brought about by medication,i would rather it hadn't got to that but i was beyond desperate. I would definately advise counselling before trying the meds. I am sorry to waffle on but just had to let you know that you are not alone and please let me know if you need any support,i feel a bit better so feel that i am able to offer it-take care of yourself-Helen

kittie
02-10-03, 12:19
Thanks Helen

My hubby is really supportive but because he doesn't know what it's like he can't understand why I worry.

It's good to know that I'm not alone and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Jennheart
29-10-03, 20:09
Hello Kitty,

I'm new to this site, because the message board I go to is down, but what your are going through are definate signs of anxiety.
I constantly worry about my health (Hypocondria) & I always think of the worst possible scenario's for everything!

-Jenn

We need to leave our worries in Gods hands...