PDA

View Full Version : one step forward, two steps back...

Sunshine77
27-01-13, 11:44
I am so frustrated today and just need to share it!

Yesterday was Day 8 of Citalopram and although I was bad in the morning with anxiety, the day got better and I actually felt (shock horror) normal for some of it. Great, I thought, I'm due back at work on Weds so things seemed to be moving in the right direction...

I didn't sleep very well last night, must have had nightmares as I woke up screaming, then this morning I was straight into an enormous panic attack and still feel really really anxious and tearful. My hubby and I are going for lunch with some very dear friends of mine who are understanding and lovely, and I really don't feel up to it but am going to make myself go...

I'm just so blooming frustrated with myself! And dreading the inevitable phonecall to HR tomorrow as I think Wednesday might be a bit over-optimistic.

Is it normal to feel as if I'm going backwards sometimes? Please someone tell me it is and that it will get better...

jackie13
27-01-13, 12:20
Hi hun

It's the meds! I have been on 20mg then put up to 30mg 3 weeks ago I was exactly like you, it does get easier each day and the anxiety on a morning will slowly fade. However, I have found that you need to couple this with reading or CBT. Don't rush it and never avoid a situation. Enjoy your dinner it's only the fear of what might happen that is holding you in this loop. Re work, can you make some arrangement that you do less hours for a week, that way you are not avoiding it but you are not putting yourself under too much pressure?

Jackie x

Sparkle1984
27-01-13, 13:59
I agree with Jackie, it's the side effects of the meds as you're still only on day 8. I had trouble sleeping in the early days too. It will get better though. Don't be frustrated if you need more time off work. If you go back too early you may put yourself through unnecessary stress which could delay your recovery.

unspoken
27-01-13, 13:59
I think how you sleep is very important to how the day goes. I find sertraline gives me really vivid nightmares and sometimes they'd make me feel worse when I woke up. Take each day as it comes, it's not a straight path to recovery. Look after yourself. There probably is a benefit in seeing friends as well. Being busy should distract you from the anxious thoughts.