PDA

View Full Version : sinus infection and pills

Eek
27-01-13, 12:10
I think at the moment I'm developing a sinus infection which in itself isn't too scary as I've had them before. I have pain on my forehead above my eyes if I press there, there's gunk going down the back of my throat which taste horrible and I feel dizzy. However, I've read that some antibiotics can be fatal if taken with my medication and I'm terrified I might have to have antibiotics and my doctor won't know which ones can be fatal to me. I've not taken antibiotics for a sinus infection for 20 years or so since I had a really bad infection but I'm worried that this time I'll need them and I'll be given the dangerous ones

shellyruby40
27-01-13, 21:35
what meds are you taking..i would go to the drs if you feel its getting worse and state your worrys and they can look at te drug interractions..
they dont usually prescribe antibiotics as a first line for sinus troubles unless its been going on longer than a week or so and if they can feel your sinus s are swollen..my dr told me that evne bacterial infections should go by inself unless you have a comprised immune system..id had my sinus infection for 2 weeks before they gave me antibiotics..2 different ones and neither helped at all just the horrible side effects from them..
you could try steaming first.or using a neti pot..ive just ordered mine and hope its going to be my life saver..or sometimes they may prescribe nasl steroid sprays that help with the nasal airways...
ive had sinus infections before but this one is a killer..
if it feels unbearable go to the drs and tell them exactly what youve said on here..they will be able to reasure you if you do need to take antibiotics..have you taken them before with sinus problems..

Eek
28-01-13, 01:20
I'm taking fluvoxamine which is an SSRI and no I've not taken any antibiotics since I started taking them at all. I'm just hoping that the infection will clear up on it's own.

PinkRoxy
28-01-13, 09:39
Yes that does sound like you have a sinus infection, have you checked that the phlegm is green? I would just mention to your doctor your medication they are doctors they should know which antibiotics to give you and what ones mix with your other medication or not. I wouldn't be too worried about it as they will make sure you are safe but it is important to get some antibiotics if you have to.

Otherwise you can try a salt spray which you get an old nasal spray and fill it up with cooled boiling water and salt and spray it up your nose the whole day and keep doing it as sometimes that can clear up your sinuses.

If you keep getting them then I would also ask your doctor for a sinus nasal spray and maybe some antihistamines, they are good and really help keep the infections away (well most of the time).

I hope you get it sorted