PDA

View Full Version : Had an anxiety free few months. Now anxious over my heart again.

Jsp
27-01-13, 20:00
It started around my exams about two weeks ago. I was walking to college, then on came the most awful chest pains. They was very quick, but with each one (about three in the space of 10 minutes) I felt very dizzy. Ever since then, I've had periods of palpitations, chest pains, and also chest pains that almost feel like palpitations and feel like they travel up my throat. I find that yes anxiety can make them worse, along with being even the slightest physically or mentally active. I notice the more I just stay in bed the less they occur. I've also noticed that laying down can make them worse.

I've had three ECG's done this year and an echocardiogram, all were done more than four or five months ago so none with the recent bout of chest pains and palpitations. I'm just so worried despite of this, that there is something wrong with my heart which is causing these palpitations and chest pains :(

I'm just really worried and I'm so fed up with feeling like this constantly for the last few weeks. I don't even feel anxious, THEN I get a pain in my chest and then I start feeling anxious!

I've had CBT but that did not work. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow to ask her what these palpitations and chest pains are about. I hope she says it is just anxiety :(

Annie0904
27-01-13, 20:03
I am sure it is just caused by anxiety. I get chest pains and palpitations a lot with my anxiety. I think you should be reassured by the test results you have.

TheGroundhog
27-01-13, 20:17
I'm sure it will just be anxiety, chest pain is my go to worry when nothing else is bothering me :D

Whenever I get them now, I do what my CBT councellor taught me, which is every hour on the hour for two days (except while you are sleeping) you exercise like a manic for three minutes, so jumping jacks, skipping, running up and down the stairs. The first few times the pains get really bad and I am sure I am going to die, but by the second day it is just a bit boring and I figure I would be dead by now if it is my heart.

It is very effective, but you need to stick with it.

dlr108
27-01-13, 20:36
if your echo came back clear then your chest pain is non cardiac related and by the way you described it the pain sounds anxiety in nature mainly due to muscle tension or spasms

palps are harmless in most people my doc said they only worry if someone passes out with a palp