PDA

View Full Version : I've just had the worst day of my life- advice please

Heley
27-01-13, 23:42
I have panic attacks and an anxiety disorder, as well as an increasing depression that is ruining my life. By about 7pm it became apparent that I needed to go to A+E because I was in danger of trying to kill myself. They turned me away and said they might get me help tomorrow. Might. I called a mental health helpline and I was told I'd called too much today to be spoken to again (this was the second time ever). I called 111 to tell them I didn't know what else to do because I was feeling suicidal. They said the only thing I could do would be to go back to A+E (to the people who were horrendously rude to me...telling me that '[my] boyfriend can't care that much or he'd be with you,' 'I don't believe you've needed him to follow you around 24/7' and 'don't you realise the effects of acting like this might be having on your relationship?'

This is not the first time I've been passed away from A+E when I've really needed help. In the past week I've been there three times. I feel like just because I've done the right thing and come in as opposed to trying to kill myself, I'm never going to be taken seriously. I'm in a downwards spiral and I really do feel like I need to be admitted. It's almost encouraging me to go and slit my wrists so that people understand I am not well.

Can anyone on here give me any advice as to how I can get someone, anyone, to take my conditions seriously and admit me to hospital?

illgetthere
27-01-13, 23:55
Have you tried ringing the Samaritans please do x

Heley
28-01-13, 00:03
Have you tried ringing the Samaritans please do x

Yep, I've rang them. I think I'm beyond the point of helplines.

katyjohnstone
28-01-13, 00:10
please please hang on go to your docs in the morning tell them how bad you are the samartians will listen to you i am having bad day to

kittikat
28-01-13, 00:26
So sorry to hear how you are feeling. If it continues (and I so hope it doesn't) I would advise you to call 999 for an ambulance. The paramedics have to take your call seriously and can assess how bad you are.

It is disgusting how the hospital treated you hun. I am sending lots of positive thoughts and big hugs your way. :hugs: Kitti xx

PanchoGoz
28-01-13, 00:27
Can you tell us a bit about why you are feeling this way and how you are feeling? Thoughts, feelings, symptoms? Let's try to get you on a level tonight before you see the doctor.
For the time being, try to keep distracted and relax. Don't stew about, do something productive instead.

Heley
28-01-13, 00:34
Can you tell us a bit about why you are feeling this way and how you are feeling? Thoughts, feelings, symptoms? Let's try to get you on a level tonight before you see the doctor.
For the time being, try to keep distracted and relax. Don't stew about, do something productive instead.

I'm just convinced that I'll keel over and die any second. And that therefore taking my own life would be the better way out. I can shake the thought and it's absolutely all I think about. I just want to be put somewhere safe :(

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

So sorry to hear how you are feeling. If it continues (and I so hope it doesn't) I would advise you to call 999 for an ambulance. The paramedics have to take your call seriously and can assess how bad you are.

It is disgusting how the hospital treated you hun. I am sending lots of positive thoughts and big hugs your way. :hugs: Kitti xx

I'm afraid to go back there in case they're horrible again. I felt like I was a child being told off for acting out. I can't stop crying. I went in there saying I had a plan to do it. Why would they then tell me to come back tomorrow, maybe?

If I had a broken leg they wouldn't be telling me to walk on it til tomorrow til they possibly fixed it :(

cassy1989
28-01-13, 01:03
Hi Heley. I have felt the same as you before :( never have gone to a & e thought so maybe haven't felt quite as desperate as you. The way you have been treated is absolutely disgusting! There is no other words for it and I would seriously consider putting in an official complaint when you are feeling up to it.
Do you have some one with you now? You need some one with you right now. I know it feels like some thing terrible is going to happen to you but it is very unlikely and I understand that the reason you have feelings to end your own life is because you are feeling so desperate. But these feelings will pass and your life is so precious and important. Please please go to your own dr tomorrow and they will help you. Don't let those awful people who upset you earlier keep making you feel bad and making you feel like theres nothing wrong when there clearly is. If you ever want to chat please message me xx

Heley
28-01-13, 01:09
Hi Heley. I have felt the same as you before :( never have gone to a & e thought so maybe haven't felt quite as desperate as you. The way you have been treated is absolutely disgusting! There is no other words for it and I would seriously consider putting in an official complaint when you are feeling up to it.
Do you have some one with you now? You need some one with you right now. I know it feels like some thing terrible is going to happen to you but it is very unlikely and I understand that the reason you have feelings to end your own life is because you are feeling so desperate. But these feelings will pass and your life is so precious and important. Please please go to your own dr tomorrow and they will help you. Don't let those awful people who upset you earlier keep making you feel bad and making you feel like theres nothing wrong when there clearly is. If you ever want to chat please message me xx

Hi, thank you so much for your support. Yes, it really was disgusting. Hopefully I will soon be getting the help I desperately need. I hope you're also okay and if you ever need support please let me know

PanchoGoz
28-01-13, 01:33
I am most surprised they would turn away a suicidal person - it's acually laughable that they could have the nerve to tell you to come back tomorrow. Disgusted at them.

For now, just stop what you are doing and get to a point where you can turn those negetive thoughts around. Just sit down on a chair and say stop to them. How did this thought start, why and how likely is it. Ask yourself honestly, do you really think that you are just going to die for no reason? And why? If you are considering killing yourself, surely you would only do that if you were absolutely certain that you were going to die anyway? Surely if you value your life you would take that small chance you might not drop dead? But I can tell you as an outside force that the likelihood of you dying for no reason is less than 0.1%. People do not just drop dead. Try us - try to convince us that you are going to die like that. You are going to find it very hard to convince us, and therefore you are going to find it harder to convince yourself.
Remember it is just a thought and you do not have to act on it.
Just keep distracted tonight and try to eat and sleep. If the thought comes, just tell it "No". If possible, find someone to talk to as said by above.

Daisy Sue
28-01-13, 01:50
Heley, have you called your own GP phone line? there's usually a message for an out of hours doctor's number...

Gotagetthroughthis
28-01-13, 02:24
Hey Heley,

Thats a good idea from Daisy_Sue, if you ring your doctors surgery there should be an answer phone message that gives you the out of hours doctors number. If you give that a call they may be able to send someone round to see you.

You will be ok hun, things seem really bad right now and it feels like there is knowhere to turn but trust me things will get better :)

Anxious_gal
28-01-13, 05:34
could you try a different hospital?

Heley
28-01-13, 21:27
Just to update-I've been put on different medications and hopefully that should start to help.

I am still extremely low but I'm getting there.