PDA

View Full Version : Please help! chest pain

RVP
28-01-13, 08:10
for the last 10-15mins I been getting the same pain every 5/6 seconds, sharp stabbing pain in my left pec, nearer to the centre of my chest where your heart would be.
The pain still hasn't gone and my heart is racing i'm freaking out like mad.
Normally when I get chest pain it goes within a couple of minutes but this hasnt :( should i call ambulance?

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 ----------

the pain still hasn't stopped, exact same sharp pain..

Daisy Sue
28-01-13, 08:15
have you tried distracting your thoughts from what you're feeling, and see if you can bring the heart rate down at all?

RVP
28-01-13, 08:19
Hi, yeah my heart rate has come down, but I'm still getting my chest pains, they haven't stopped for 45mins.
Sharp stabbing pain every 5-10 seconds in my left inner pec, the best way I can describe it someone pinching my chest hairs and pulling them.

Daisy Sue
28-01-13, 08:21
do you mean like a stitch?

if it is so surface, that it feels like it's just the skin being pinched, i doubt it's your heart.... have you got any other symptoms?

RVP
28-01-13, 08:32
Not a stitch, I'm just getting a sharp/dull ache in my left inner pec.

Daisy Sue
28-01-13, 08:38
i think if i were you, i would try at least to speak to a doctor then... as you say it's a new symptom, and it's only going to worry you until you get some advice.

good luck - i hope it goes over soon!

skippy66
28-01-13, 09:08
Stabbing pain that comes and goes is very unlikely to be cardiac pain. But remember that even classic heart pain (which you don't have) can be caused by other things such as esophageal spasm or muscle strain/tightness, or a virus even.

You need to stop letting health anxiety consume your life. Attack it head on. Say 'come on then, do your worst' to it and see what happens.

Arnie365
28-01-13, 11:02
Hi RVP I get these type of chest pains all the time. It's my main symptom with anxiety. If you haven't been checked over by a doctor then its always advisable but once you have been given the all clear, accept its anxiety. Your heart is racing because you are panicking. The more you focus on the chest pains the longer it will take for your panic to go and often make the pains worse.

RVP
28-01-13, 14:16
Hi, I rang NHS direct, and they phoned the Ambulance for me when I told them my symptoms..
So I was taken into A&E and had ECG's done ect, and everything came back fine. They took me in due to my past history the paramedic said.
They done a blood count ect and everything came back fine too.

So.. I definitely need to seek help from a professional, because I can't hack it anymore.

The doctor who saw me seem a little pissed off, I don't blame him but I didn't know what else to do, I didn't ring 999 and rang NHS direct thinking I could get confirmation from them, but the doctor told me NHS direct IS the A&E

Daisy Sue
28-01-13, 14:23
i'm really glad you've had the tests and all was ok.. that should give you real reassurance.

maybe this is your turning point towards getting better... :)

nomorepanic
28-01-13, 14:45
If you call NHS direct with chest pains they would always call an ambulance. You would have been better calling the doctor to be honest.

Glad you are ok though and nothing found.

RVP
28-01-13, 14:48
If you call NHS direct with chest pains they would always call an ambulance. You would have been better calling the doctor to be honest.

Glad you are ok though and nothing found.

Thank you Daisy Sue.

Yeah, looking back now I should have called the Doctor, I was panicking so much I didn't know what to do to be honest.

swgrl09
28-01-13, 15:12
You know what, you did the right thing and if the doctor was mad, maybe he should not be a doctor then.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Also, glad you are ok :)

Gotagetthroughthis
28-01-13, 15:30
I would have done the same RVP and have done in the past. If chest pains do not go away its so hard to convince yourself its anxiety or something other than heart related and you really don't feel like taking the risk of waiting it out when feeling like that.

At least you had some tests which give you the reassurance you needed at the time.

chl_hobbs
28-01-13, 15:48
Dont beat yourself up about it, RVP, you did the right thing. If the paramedics thought it was a waste of time they wouldnt have brought you in. It's better to be checked. x