PDA

View Full Version : Housing/renting. Never done this before

MidnightCalm
28-01-13, 09:21
If I were to rent a 2 bedroom flat by myself with a full time job that would cover my costs what do I need? I'm 23 and this is me moving from home. Would they accept me? What do they need from me. I'm worried nobody will give me one because of my age or because I am alone. Or because I've never done things like this before. I've seen a 2 bed flat I want for around 600pcm. I don't know where to start. Could I then have my friend staying apt who said they would help with the rent, but just get it in my name as they do not have a job and are on sick and have no credit so would be bad idea to say they're moving in too. Please help.:bighug1:

Kells81
28-01-13, 10:17
Hiya-a type of credit check I'd usually done when someone rents a house, these varies depending on who you are renting from. Agencies take references usually from your employer and someone who knows you and they also ask how much you earn so the can decide if you salary is enough to cover the rent.
You will be required to pay a deposit which is usually one month or one and a half months rent and you also pay one months rent up front-these together are quite a lot so make sure you have those funds available.
In top of rent you also pay council tax, electric, gas, water, tv license, insurance and the Internet/phone if you require those.

Hope that helps a bit!

mikewales
28-01-13, 10:22
You wouldn't be able to get someone else to stay as that would be sub-letting, they would need to have their name on the tenancy agreement as well.

Normally when you rent you have to pay a bond, and a months rent in advance - the bond varies, but is generally around a months rent as well.

If you go through an agency, they will normally want references from an employer, previous landlord ( if applicable ) etc..

There is no reason why they wouldn't rent to you as long as you have the money, most landlords hate to see empty properties, so will get anyone in if they are working full time.

You may be better off though renting a one bedroom flat, and not having anyone else stay there. If you really do want to share with someone, then get someone who is working as well and get both your names on the tenancy agreement and all the bills, that way you are both liable so it makes it a lot easier when payments are due

ricardo
28-01-13, 10:50
Midnight

Kells and mike

have answered all the points but I would add that most letting agencies might want a guarantee from your parents (as was the case with my own son at your age ) .
A private landlord maybe more flexable but make sure you get a receipt from either, for deposit payed and read the terms of the tenancy agrrement. Many landlords give a two month break clause after six months on a one year rental, some don't.

MidnightCalm
28-01-13, 12:53
What do people do who're On the sick how do they go about living what if they are agoraphobic and they have nowhere to live what happens to them they are not allowed to rent a private property and couldn't afford it alone. What do I do? Before I was speaking on behalf of my friend I would be the other person moving in who is on the sick And in any few months the people I am now living with are moving away And I have no friends and nobody I can stay with

Kells81
28-01-13, 13:01
I'm sorry but I don't really know the answer now.

I rent my property and it is a condition from the mortgage company that I'm not allowed to let it to anyone who is unemployed or on benefits.

I'm not sure if you could do it so your friend in the main tenancy holder and is therefore fully responsible for the rent though.

MidnightCalm
28-01-13, 13:38
What do other people do who have agoraphobia. Who also have homes to run do they just become homeless?
X

Kells81
28-01-13, 13:43
Maybe you could explain your situation so it is clearer as I am unsure due to your first post.

Do you have an income etc, are you moving in with someone who will pay all the rent?

I had to move back with my parents and rent out my house due to my agoraphobia.

mikewales
28-01-13, 18:08
Some landlords ( normally private ones ) will rent to people on benefits, but they are normally in the less nice areas as most prefer to let to working people as they get the bond, and don't have any hassles with getting the housing benefit late etc... For some reason a lot also seem to think that working people will look after the place better.

If you aren't working, go and speak to the housing department at your local council, many of these will have lists of places available to people on benefits

ricardo
28-01-13, 18:31
I have to agree that your first post is confusing. I now understand that it is you who want to rent but you are on the "sick".? Have you ever worked,is it not possible to live at home until you are better ?
I think we need more detail in order to help you.

Mike that works both ways as the landlord gets a guaranteed income and social services or whoever take responsibility for any damage etc.

AuntieMoosie
28-01-13, 20:49
Hi there,

You have been given some really good advice :) But if you're saying that your circumstances are that you are on ESA or some other type of sickness benefit I think that you may find it somewhat easier if you applied for local social housing, be that Council Housing or renting from a Housing Association as with either of these options you wont need to put a deposit down and they fully accept Housing Benefit, you also wouldn't need a reference from anyone, though you may be put on a "trial" tenancy for 12 months which is what a lot of Housing Associations are doing now, once you've been there for 12 months and all is well with your tenancy, you will then be given a secure tenancy :)

The best advice I can really give you is to either pop along to your local Citizens Advice, they will have details of any Housing Associations in your area or contact your local Council as they too will have all the details that you may need :)

jency
02-02-13, 00:09
i have a friend on benefits who is renting privately but the landlord is no good and she is waiting to move. this is through an estate agent it cost her £1000 upfront fee plus £200 security check and they charge her £100 a year in admin fees to renew her contract. the flat she is waiting for is someone i know and they are going through a sloicitor so it will be cheaper.
i lived with my parents in a local housing association (council) rented 2 bedroom house when i lost them i was told it was underoccupied so i now live in a flat but i am on sick because of various conditions and i get my rent paid. if you are moving in with a friend who is working full time they wont mind as long as you are both named as tenants but it will probably be in your friends name.