PDA

View Full Version : Pets and Anxiety

Rioblu
28-01-13, 11:06
Good Morning guys.

I wondered if anyone finds that their pets are a great deal of comfort when it comes to anxiety?

I have 2 cats that really sooth me and ever since i got them, they have helped me so much. Even though i do take medication, i was thrilled to find something thatr helped that wasnt medication based!

xx

Annie0904
28-01-13, 11:25
My 2 cats really help me and on the worst days they give me a meaning to get out of bed as I need to take care of them. I have posted this on my own thread but just for you I will post another picture of my 2.

Annie0904
28-01-13, 11:26

Rioblu
28-01-13, 12:15
oh my god!!!!! they are gorgeous !!!! xxx

Annie0904
28-01-13, 12:18
oh my god!!!!! they are gorgeous !!!! xxx

Thank you :) The little one is a Siamese Seal Point and the big one is a Siamese/Silver Bengal

Angelai
28-01-13, 12:45
Annie they are sooooo beautiful!

I have 3 'babies' - I wouldn't cope without them.

Tessar
28-01-13, 13:50
i'm the same, my cat is brilliant company & she likes playing which makes me laugh. when i get in - she's always pleased to see me which is a boost.
My cats before her have been my life saver sometimes, especially when i was growing up; they were my best buddies in the whole world I wouldnt have survived without them.

unspoken
28-01-13, 14:27
I wish I could have pets. It lifts my mood when I meet one of the friendly local cats I know when I'm walking to and from work and I stop to give them some attention. But I am living in a rented place where sadly I can't have any pets.

Kells81
28-01-13, 14:35
I have agoraphobia so don't go out much but when I go to a friends house it makes me so much more relaxed if they have a cat especially but also a dog.
It really helps to reduce my anxiety and also makes me feel a bit like I'm at home where I have 2 cats.

unspoken
28-01-13, 14:39
I find pets are good for breaking the ice in social situations. Dogs in particular don't care about formality, they investigate and greet everybody. Then you can ask questions about the pets and if the human company is boring, you can play with the pets. I like going to places where people have pets.

swgrl09
28-01-13, 14:51
Annie - LOVE your pic!!! How sweet!

My cat definitely helps with my anxiety. When I am home alone and anxious, she keeps good company and always makes me laugh. She is also so sweet.

Tessar
28-01-13, 15:35
I wish I could have pets. It lifts my mood when I meet one of the friendly local cats I know when I'm walking to and from work and I stop to give them some attention. But I am living in a rented place where sadly I can't have any pets.
do you know anyone that needs any pet sitting done? i used to stay at my friends house when they were away as it meant their cat had company & i had somewhere really cool to stay & i got a break from my family too! it was really good. i've got my own cat now & my own place so its not necessary but i really liked it.

ricardo
28-01-13, 16:12
We have 4 dogs two of which are boxers and they can sense if one is feeling unwell be it anxiety or otherwise .It is quite canny .

Annie0904
28-01-13, 17:49
Ricardo I think it is amazing how animals can sense when we are not well. If I start to cry my cats are straight over to me.

spottitchsam
28-01-13, 18:24
Annie lovely pics of your cats,we have 2 Jack Russell girls.they sit on my lap all day when I'm Sat down which is rather a lot has I can't stand/walk for long.x

Tessar
28-01-13, 19:43
My cat is sitting right next to me, her tail's on my keypad... And she's purring.... Cuuuuute

rubynoodles
29-01-13, 09:35
I love animals and really believe they help people with mental health problems.

Unfortunately, we lost both of our beloved cats to the road last year which was devastating, but 2 months ago we got Archie he is a wonderful jack russell/yorkshire terrier cross and has rapidly become my best friend.

Being a stay at home mum I can get quite lonely and being alone with my thoughts is not always a good thing but Archie is great company and I make myself take him for 2 walks a day even when I really dont feel like leaving the house I know that Archie needs his walkies and its suprising how good I feel when i've had a bracing walk. Also having a dog breaks the ice when meeting people along the way and I have now met many people on my travels.

As he has such a lovely nature, I am hoping to register Archie as a 'Therapy Pet' this summer and visit hospitals and old peoples homes with him. Hopefully getting out of the house will benefit me as well:)

ladymage_411
29-01-13, 11:08
My cats definitely help with my anxiety. Unfortunately my husband and I live abroad in South Korea since we're teaching English for a year and our two cats are at home with a good friend, but it's been difficult without them. It's wonderful to know that you have a furry (or otherwise) friend around who loves you regardless of any circumstances that may be happening.

It's been hard being here without them as I enjoy cuddling, talking to, and just relaxing and this has been a pretty stressful environment for me. Pets really are remarkable and helpful.

Annie0904
29-01-13, 14:47
I love animals and really believe they help people with mental health problems.

I am hoping to register Archie as a 'Therapy Pet' this summer and visit hospitals and old peoples homes with him. Hopefully getting out of the house will benefit me as well:)

That is a lovely idea :)