PDA

View Full Version : Americans - Work options with anxiety disorders?

swgrl09
28-01-13, 13:09
I hear a lot about people in the UK being on sick leave on this site. I was wondering if any Americans know what our options are? Does this depend on what state you live in?

All I know about is getting on disability, which is difficult and takes a long time, especially with mental health conditions. It is even harder for people who are not elderly and are physically ok. I also have heard of FMLA which makes your work required to hold your job for 12 weeks, but you don't get any pay during that time unless you have paid time off you can use.

Does anybody know of anything else? Just curious ...

swgrl09
28-01-13, 23:50
bump just to see if anybody has info ...

anowlwithknees
30-01-13, 03:22
Hi Swgrl09!

I would say that there are a couple things to take into consideration when looking at going on any extended period of absence leave.

First, while I myself do not have firsthand experience I am in a profession which deals with individuals with disability or pending disability claims. If you are looking into disability, it would be wise to contact your county or state Department of Job and Family Services to get information or even schedule a meeting to discuss the possibility of a disability claim. I can say the first go around without an ''physical'' disability will most likely be denied, but they always always are. Appealing that decision is then more likely to be awarded disability. In fact, most disability claims are, in my experience, only awarded after a somewhat drawn out appeals process. So please do not be discouraged if it seems like an uphill battle!

But like I said I would first contact both your county (or parish, I suppose, depending on your state), and state Department of Job and Family Services. They will be able to point you in the right direction and even give you good advice regarding your situation.

Regarding anything else, I am not sure I know of any national program that deals with these things, perhaps you could look locally. You should also look into your local 2-1-1 agency, sometimes located at the local united way. Often times these agencies have databases os social services that are available and can give you some very helpful information.

If I happen to come across anything else, I will be certain to let you know right away!

swgrl09
30-01-13, 12:40
Thanks, that's quite helpful. I know, I hear all the time about people who struggle and struggle getting onto disability so it is good to hear that it does happen. Thank you again :)