PDA

View Full Version : Upset after doctors appointment

MissSunshine
28-01-13, 18:23
I saw the doctor this afternoon to get something checked. All turnt out fine thankfully so thats one less worry- however i havent been to the doctors in months and i had a few things that was worrying me that i was hoping to discuss them aswell.

The doctor wasnt very friendly, she was a very strict one and just wanted me out the door, i said there was a couple of other things id like to discuss and she looked at me funny and went "sorry only one problem per appointment."

I was shocked, and asked if she could spare another minute so i can stop worrying. I have been having trapped wind alot and worried it could be something more then my IBS i said i sometimes get pain in my shoulder blade and she told me no that doesn't sound like gas you will need to book another appointment, and have a review. So now im a wreck. what i was thinking was trapped wind could be alot worse, like Gall bladder or something, for all i knew gas could cause shoulder pain i cant get another appointment till next week so another week of worrying, i hope its just my IBS. Im really scared of blood tests and things

I really thought today would be the day all my worries were answered but now i have more anxiety about my next appointment :(

is anyone elses doctor like this? I would love someone to just talk to me, and not want to see me out the door!

I was also in there for under 3 mins, surely i was allowed more time?

Annie0904
28-01-13, 18:36
I can't believe your doctor said that to you!! I have just been to see my doctor as I was getting worse chest pains than usual. He did a good check and an ECG..every thing fine which I thought it would be just daft anxiety again. I get a lot of trapped wind with ibs and I get a lot of shoulder pains with it. I am really shocked though that you couldn't mention more than one thing x

MissSunshine
28-01-13, 18:41
Iknow, i feel abit down about it :( I dont have one proper doctor, i see all different GPS/nurses etc, ive never seen her before tho and i really dont want to see her again after that. I am glad everything was fine with you annie!
was your ibs worse running up to your appointment? my tummy is in bits now because i worked myself up about my check.
Its very comforting to know you get trapped wind and shoulder pain too, i was worrying it was h pylori also but i know its on the ibs symptoms?
it was bad of her, i would understand if she was running behind xx

Annie0904
28-01-13, 18:43
My Ibs is never good. I never get a day free from it not bothering me :(

MissSunshine
28-01-13, 18:45
I'm sorry to hear that Annie :( the only thing i find that helps when i have trapped wind is to go on all fours head down if you know what i mean. Are you on any meds?x

Annie0904
28-01-13, 18:48
I take baby gripe water when the pain gets bad and it usually relieves it. the most annoying thing for me is feeling like I need to go to the loo all the time especially just after I have eaten. i would never dare eat anything if there wasn't a loo near by!!

MissSunshine
28-01-13, 18:53
Oh you have just reminded me about the baby gripe water :) I had that back in 2011 for 2 weeks that was before i went on meds. oh i bet you wouldn't! must make things like bus journeys etc bad for you :(

Annie0904
28-01-13, 18:55
I wouldn't dare travel on a bus x

PinkRoxy
28-01-13, 21:09
Im sorry you had problems with your doctor sunshine.
I don't think a lot of doctors out there are that great. I always try and stick to one good doctor and just go and see them. That doctor shouldn't of done that to you as that wasn't very nice.

I hope you are able to see a better doctor next week and get it all sorted.

Greenman50
28-01-13, 21:51
That Doctor was a disgrace , one problem per appointment ??? never ever heard of that before .
Near me i,m sure an appointment is up to 10 minutes , yea the odd time its been around 3-4 minutes for something but up to 10 minutes isnt a lot really but i appreciate they have to see others .
The last time i went someone before me was in there 20 minutes so i just accept they needed more time .
Sometimes they seem to forget the worry some are going through and need reasurance , once they get this they wont have to make an other appointment .
You should of been treated better :mad:

BTW ...i have IBS and you can get trapped wind in the shoulder area , and also anxiety can make your muscles tighten up and give pain in the shoulders or you could have just slept funny on it .

Vegas 2013
29-01-13, 00:12
Hi there I am a manager in a medical practice (when I am able to be there!) and you are entitled to a 10 minute consultation (at least, a good doctor would allow more time if need be) Sometimes they run late with surgeries and she was possibly trying to make up time, which is unacceptable as that has impacted on your care. I would suggest if possible to try to stick to a doctor you have a better relationship with and if you have a few worries to discuss ask for a double appointment, your entitled. I am very sorry to hear you were treated that way, I know this makes things worse. You are also within your rights to make a complaint in writing to the practice manager (if you feel up to it) explaining how this has caused you extra stress and upset. Ask for an explanation for only getting a 3 min consultation. After all they are meant to help not make you worse! I hope this helps a little and I hope you feel better xx

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Hi there I am a manager in a medical practice (when I am able to be there!) and you are entitled to a 10 minute consultation (at least, a good doctor would allow more time if need be) Sometimes they run late with surgeries and she was possibly trying to make up time, which is unacceptable as that has impacted on your care. I would suggest if possible to try to stick to a doctor you have a better relationship with and if you have a few worries to discuss ask for a double appointment, your entitled. I am very sorry to hear you were treated that way, I know this makes things worse. You are also within your rights to make a complaint in writing to the practice manager (if you feel up to it) explaining how this has caused you extra stress and upset. Ask for an explanation for only getting a 3 min consultation. After all they are meant to help not make you worse! I hope this helps a little and I hope you feel better xx

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Test tried to post a reply but didn't work

---------- Post added 29-01-13 at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was 28-01-13 at 23:56 ----------

OMG just realised there is a page two of posts what a dough ball ha ha thought my reply wasn't posting - so sorry for the multiple replies :blush:

PinkRoxy
29-01-13, 08:48
I agree you really need to make an complaint as this is not good. I would've done as I think all patients should be treated with respect and dignity.

Sunshine I hope you get better service next week with a good doctor because you really need to have your mind at ease and to feel better. You are important too hun. Also with the trapped wind I get a lot too and it can be rather painful. I do believe that can be an ibs thing.

But hun do take care and make sure you get looked after by good doctors and I recommend you make that complaint about that other doctor and another thing never see her again. You deserve better than her. (((hug)))

WorriedBloke
29-01-13, 11:37
Hi Miss Sunshine.
I had reflux surgery last year and as a result ended up with a lot of trapped wind. With this wind pain came a pain in my shoulder. I was warned about this beforehand and was told that you can get the pain in the shoulder (quite sharp and stabbing usually) because the shoulder and stomach have branches of Nerve that are part of your Vagus nerve. For some reason if you aggravate the branch of nerve in the stomach (from the wind) it can cause referred pain in the shoulder as they share the Vagus nerve. So to get pain in your shoulder because of wind is fairly common.

Hope that helps and definitely complain about the way you were treated by your doctor!

mrs way to worried
29-01-13, 14:43
i have this problem with alot of doctors i also have the problem that if i can feel a lump they now wont even examine it i feel as soon as they see health anxiety they dismiss that you may actually have a real illness

MissSunshine
29-01-13, 14:52
PinkRoxy,Mel2, Catherine, and worried bloke thank you all so much for your comments.

The doctor made me feel so silly at the time, i was trying to ask for help and she just shoved me out of the door, i think i will complain! I was actually lucky to get an appointment in the first place normal i have to ring and they just speak to me over the phone, i really hope i do find a doctor who i feel comfortable with and who actually wants to help me, as just reassuring me about a few things will help my HA so so much.

Catherine since you work in a medical practice and you have confirmed the 10 minutes im actually really angry with myself that i even let her push me out the door, im just a very shy person and i dont really ever stand up for myself.

and thanks for the advise about my ibs everyone, worried bloke i knew wind could do that! i have done so much research about trapped wind. I really hope i dont see her again, actually i forgot to get her name. I will have to ask at my next appointment who the doctor was i really hope the next one isnt so bad xx

@pinkroxy thank you (hugs)
@mel I would accept that someone would need more time, once i was seen half hour late and i never complained!