PDA

View Full Version : On Citalopram, could be happier?

southey
28-01-13, 21:15
Ok I have been on the Cit for about a year now, got my anxiety stable pretty quick as it has done in the past when I have taken it. Been on 30 mg most of the time with zero sides.

My Doc now want me to reduce the dose and see how I go and I have been taking 20 mg for a week. Lately I have been getting mild headaches so this may be a side to reducing the dose and I can live with this. The big test will be the anxiety not returning.

While the Cit works very well for my Anxiety it never really touched my mild depression and lack of motivation. Does a drug exist that could help with these issues? I would love just to be happy to go along with my non-anxious state and have a bit of get up and go? Maybe a SNRI or another SSRI or a triple re uptake inhibitor?

Would like peoples perspective on this matter before I see my Doc in a month or two?

Thanks,

Steve.

AnxiousBaker
29-01-13, 09:09
I suspect the first thing your doctor would say if you tell him the citalopram hasnt touched your depression, is to up the dose and not cut down.
Unless you are prepared to come off the cit full stop and maybe try another drug? Then you have the task of getting over initial side effects and the drug might not be as good as cit for anxiety etc.

Not a very good answer really was it? lol. But i am no doctor im affraid!
Hope it goes well for you Steve. Others on here might have better info.

southey
29-01-13, 11:11
Cheers for your thoughts, My Doc did want me to taper down though. I don't think I made it clear last visit with her that I was still having problems with low mood/motivation, I got caught up chatting about pain meds for my back problem.

Incidentally I was given Co-dydramol pain killers and taking a couple of those made me feel the best I have felt in ages!! Maybe that's the answer, get a Opiate addiction going to feel nice:whistles: Joking of course!

I'm really surprised in this age of pills for every ailment going that they haven't got anything to make people 'happy', up, confident and nice to be around?

I really don't want to be a sulk the rest of my life and have to be prodded to do anything like everything is a chore?

Steve.

AnxiousBaker
29-01-13, 12:40
I do believe some people take mirtazapine along side an SSRI drug. Mirtazapine isnt an SSRI drug and for many it works well for depression.You could ask you doc about this.

southey
29-01-13, 16:28
Thanks, that gives me a start to do some research.

Steve.