PDA

View Full Version : quetiapine

gregcool
29-01-13, 09:15
HI GUYS.Anyone on this drug..Iv just been put on it to help with derealization. ? Any thoughts

nomorepanic
29-01-13, 12:53
Loads of posts Greg.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/search.php?searchid=4884951

gregcool
29-01-13, 14:26
Hi Nkcola.when I click the link, it says no matvhes found..

nomorepanic
29-01-13, 14:47
Ok click on search at the top, enter quetiapine and click on titles only

Emphyrio
29-01-13, 14:50
Its an atypical antipsychotic medicine. I've never taken it, but I know that these kind of medications have quite a few side effects, though mostly at higher doses. However, even at lower doses, you'll be likely to feel sedated all the time, sleep for 10 hours a day or more, and experience weight gain. Try to keep the dosage as low as possible.

AuntieMoosie
29-01-13, 18:39
Hi Greg I'm on Quetiapine 100mgs slow release every day.

I'm finding it really helpful and I haven't had any of the side effects at all :)

The normal release one is quicker acting, I started off on 50mgs of the normal release but my psychiatrist changed me to the slow release as it benefits me all day instead of just for a short time. I don't feel sedated at all, in fact, right now I'm having the reverse problem in that I'm not able to sleep.

Give it a good try Greg and see how you go :)

clio51
29-01-13, 20:02
hi Greg

when I was first ill I was put on this by psychiatrist but unfortunately only took 1 dose and fainted within 30mins but I must say I hadn't been eating due to high anxiety, so was then put on venlafaxine.

today been back to psychiatrist and she was going to put me on that today because of no sleep leg aches/tense but s
told her what happened last time so now she starting me on promazine same sort of drug antipsychotic 25mg night time.

see if this works for us eh!! good luck

gregcool
30-01-13, 18:30
Thankyou guys for all your advice..On my small dose of 25mg what benefits can I excpect.?..will I gain weight at this amount and will it do anything..should I judt take it as a sleep aid..I took it once the other night and even though my dose is low, I felt sedated next day and when I first woke up, I could only see a bright white light, it took a few moments begore I could actually see anything,

AuntieMoosie
31-01-13, 00:21
Hi Greg,

It can sometimes make you feel a little sedated when you first start taking it, but as your body gets more used to it that should stop.

The small doses are very useful as a sleeping aid and to help with anxiety.

I would very much doubt that you would have any weight gain on a small dose, I haven't noticed it with me at all.

I would see how you go, keep at it for a while, because it's very much like an antidepressant in that it has to build up in your system, although you can also use it as a PRN which means as and when needed.

Keep updating and letting us know how you're going :)

gregcool
31-01-13, 08:17
Thanks Aunti..what is its main purpose...My doc has put me on it to help with Derealization and depersonalization..!! what dose would weight gain be excpected.I only say this because over the last 4 months i have been on a strict healthy eating and go to the gym 4 times a week , which i love..and have gone from 14st.8 down to 11st.4 and would get very depressed if i gained any weight.

AuntieMoosie
31-01-13, 10:05
Hi Greg,

Quetiapine can be used for a number of different symptoms. As I understand it, medication in this group can help with many of the symptoms associated with anxiety and these would include obsessive thoughts and derealization and depersonalization.

I really wouldn't know what dose would actually put you at risk of weight gain, but I would hazard a guess that it would be much higher doses than we're on, if you look on your Quetiapine leaflet, you'll see just how high the doses can go. For the likes of me and you or, indeed, anyone using it for anxiety symptoms, it's only ever given in very small doses, so I would think that we're at the bottom of the risk list for side effects.

I would carry on your healthy life style, wished I could be so active!! and just keep an eye on your weight if it worry's you, or have a chat with your doctor, I'm sure they'll be able to put your mind at rest :)

gregcool
31-01-13, 12:41
Thankyou Aunti for your advice..I will keep an eye on it..I will keep the dose as small as poss to my needs..thanks again..I wish you well..

clio51
31-01-13, 22:21
Hi Greg

How's the sleep on the new med

gregcool
01-02-13, 18:34
Hi Clio.. Well i slept solid for 2 nights..didnt wake till 7am...lol....But !! even though they are a small dose of 25mg i am feeling a bit more anxious and more depersonalization , i dont know if this is pure coincedence or just me having a bit more natural anxiety !! ..feel tired next day still and a bit cloudy..and a little bit emosionless..hope i spelt that right..How u keeping..

clio51
01-02-13, 19:10
Excellent!!

You probably got heightened anxiety because of new med, prob take few days to get into your system so will take couple weeks.

I've just picked my new med up today promazine it's on the same line as yours antipsychotic. Mines liquid as it's hard to get the tablets, so tonight is my first night
A 5ml spoon is same as 25mg tablet. So I take 1spoon for 2weeks doing it slowly as I take 150mg venlafaxine as well

Take care xx

gregcool
01-02-13, 19:59
Excellent Clio..I hope it goes realy well for you and you get some sleep two...That first night is allways the most worrieng wondering.will i feel worse, will i wake etc...after a few days its allways better..God luck.speek again soon.x

Aladbi
23-02-13, 06:55
Hi there.

It is a great drug. Well was for me. At low doses as mentioned above better for sleep. Higher doses, I think it can go up to 600 mg would be good for paranoia and schizophrenic types.

Unfortunately even at a low dose I got a big belly. Even after going to gym 3 times a week and eating healthy. I came off at 25 mg. but everyone is different. I know people with zero weight gain.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Aladbi x

gregcool
18-03-13, 09:22
Alabi..I just find,yes i sleep well on a silly small amount,,But even tho iv been on this silly small amount for a while now,The side effects has not faded,,this very irritated feeling and high stress feeling on this amount,It all just reminds me of how i react to meds at the smallest amounts,,this holds me back from trying oyher meds because of side effects at small dose...I want to just come off these and traz and be cleen.i convinced id feel better.