PDA

View Full Version : How to stop/control certain feelings/thoughts

June83
29-01-13, 15:06
I was wondering if anyone can help me stop feeling a certain way.

I can be feeling perfectly fine just going about my day when for no reason I can tell I suddenly feel like a hammer has hit me in the stomach and all i can think is - 'it is too late! It is too late, its all over and there is nothing I can do!!' Ususally this is immediately followed by an overwhelming feeling of grief and the start of panic (struggling to breathe, heart racing etc). Sometimes the feelings of grief start me crying they are so bad. Usually a few deep breaths is enough to get back the panic under control but the feelings of loss and grief is far longer lasting and disturbing it feels so real! It has been over an hour since this last happened and I am still feeling shaken! It seems to be happening more frequently now as well. I have enough anxiety in my life without my brain creating more panic for me!

Tufty
29-01-13, 16:43
When you think 'it's too late, it's all over' have you any idea what that relates to? The hammer in the stomach feeling, feelings of grief, struggling to breathe sound like normal panic and we often say negative things to ourselves that can make the panic escalate but I wonder why you think it's too late. It would be really useful to know why you have those thoughts, is it because you think it's too late to stop the panic? If so that maybe the key to stopping the panic, you cannot stop your body feeling the hammer in the stomach but you can control your thoughts and this brain chatter which is making the panic escalate.
You're right about your brain creating the panic, I think examining and challenging your thoughts about 'it's too late' may prove useful. It sounds as though you maybe trying to control your feelings and it's the loss of control that makes you panic. It maybe that accepting the feelings and floating with them rather than trying to control them will help minimise the subsequent feelings of loss.
Take Care
Sam

Fenrir
29-01-13, 17:55
http://www.llttf.com/ go there, read everything, it'll help.
Theres a panic button on the left, Red oval shape.
Helped me understand and calm down.
Good Luck.