PDA

View Full Version : why are doctors like this and what can we do to get around it

mrs way to worried
29-01-13, 15:22
ive seen alot of posts about ignorant doctors or not being taken seriously and in some cases even laughed at !!!!! i have this issue alot during the time ive had anxiety around 4 years i have had 9 main doctors and endless amounts of other doctors but i feel like once your file says health anxiety thats it your branded for life and its like you cant ever have a real illness u must be making it up so does anyone have any tips on how to work through this and get a doctor to take u seriously

Vegas 2013
29-01-13, 17:28
Im sorry to hear about that. Is there any particular GP at your surgery that you feel more comfortable with? If so It might be an idea to try to stick to seeing one. (I know it's difficult to get appts so not always possible) Make a double appt and try to explain (write it down for the doctor if you have to) how you feel you have been treated and not taken seriously. They should be helping you but instead it is making you feel worse :(

swgrl09
29-01-13, 17:33
I feel that way too. I have had problems with my neck injury since before I had anxiety and depression, as it started with a car accident. However, everytime I go to a doctor about it (more than one doctor) they see depression and anxiety on my chart and just say it's that. Only my chiropracter took me seriously because he specializes in that and I started seeing him BEFORE the depression/anxiety.

It is really frustrating. I hate that a diagnosis can define us in some doctors' views. I think we have to just try really hard to find doctors who will take the time to listen and understand.

Vegas 2013
29-01-13, 17:35
Also they have a responsibility to check out your symptoms to rule out any health problems. If it's difficult for you to speak up you could take someone you trust with you. AND seriously if you got laughed at that is so out of order. You should complain xx

mrs way to worried
29-01-13, 18:12
I hate it I've tried explaining things taking lists ect booking double appointments I just don't seem to get anywhere , my newest doctor is ok although she also seems to blame anxiety but how can anxiety cause real lumps I don't get it

Vegas 2013
29-01-13, 20:18
It may be worth making a complaint in writing to the practice manager. they will then have to investigate and perhaps the GPs will take more notice. If your still not satisfied you can take it further you know you have rights. Have you considered moving surgery is there anywhere else near by you could register?

Anxious_gal
29-01-13, 21:03
I've had the same, even nice doctors will become biased against you if you suffer from anxiety.
I don't go to the doctor for "health anxiety", I go for real things but still not taken seriously.
They've made a comment or two, which really shows to me that they are biased.

Like with the swelling in my tongue, that started months ago I waited for it to get worse, saw my own dentist before I even said it to my own doctor.
She asked me if it was something she would be able to see or just something I could feel.
I know she wasn't being mean but that sentence really showed she was thinking it was my imagination, but luckily she could see it....

got a crazy amount of tightness in my throat for years.. plus swollen glands that haven't gone down.. I am crazy worried about that but no one is listening.
I am hoping that the oral surgeon I'm seeing about my tongue might listen to me about the throat tightness and the shadow/lump that showed up in my sinus on an x ray.

I had gone to an ENT about the sinuses due to that x ray but he didn't listen and totally dismissed me.

I actually went an entire year without seeing my doctor once, I thought if I waited that long and went back again about the throat tightness and swollen glands I'd be taken seriously but nope, doctor sort of looked at me to say what can I do!

It's hard because I don't know how to stand up to doctors without seeming more crazy than what they already think I am!

mrs way to worried
29-01-13, 21:17
i know exactly how you feel its so fustrating i come out of my appointment so angry with myself , i have the same thing as you with the tightness around the throat its awful and it gets worse when im anxious about stuff , i have moved surgeries 3 times now so this one im at now is only one i can get to without spending an hour on a bus ,im thinking of requesting to see my medical files to see if they r even noting down any thing im telling them

PinkRoxy
30-01-13, 08:31
After reading all these posts it made me think that this does not seem right. Doctors need to take everything seriously. My doctor once said to me that she does a test to help with my reassurance even if she doesn't think there is anything to worry about.

I am sorry that doctors are treating you all like this and I think you should definitely make a complaint about this. Doctors need to be taking you seriously and if they think there isn't anything to worry about then isn't it their job to relieve your anxiety? By doing this they will do tests anyway to give you peace of mind.

I really recommend making a complaint because you all deserve to be treated with respect and seriously. Also it is unprofessional for doctors to laugh at someone and they should not get away with that.

ecila92
30-01-13, 20:59
I often think to myself that I should change doctors and don't tell them you have anxiety.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Also I think we do waste doctors time because 9 times out of 10 there is nothing wrong with us and our symptoms are caused by anxiety. Doctors aren't worried because they know what's serious and what's not. However, its a doctors job to take symptoms seriously in anyone (health anxiety or not) otherwise they risk the consequence of getting sued/losing their jobs. But I do understand where you're coming from, its hard for us as we're living with a constant fear about our health but I think we underestimate doctors as whenever we go, we usually look for reassurance and when we get it, we cant accept it as just "nothing". I'm not backing up doctors haha, just looking at things differently. But I do understand how frustrating it is and if your doctor is laughing at you, then change to another doctor. Your health is important, anxiety or not.

katesa
30-01-13, 21:07
I often think to myself that I should change doctors and don't tell them you have anxiety.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Also I think we do waste doctors time because 9 times out of 10 there is nothing wrong with us and our symptoms are caused by anxiety. Doctors aren't worried because they know what's serious and what's not. However, its a doctors job to take symptoms seriously in anyone (health anxiety or not) otherwise they risk the consequence of getting sued/losing their jobs. But I do understand where you're coming from, its hard for us as we're living with a constant fear about our health but I think we underestimate doctors as whenever we go, we usually look for reassurance and when we get it, we cant accept it as just "nothing". I'm not backing up doctors haha, just looking at things differently. But I do understand how frustrating it is and if your doctor is laughing at you, then change to another doctor. Your health is important, anxiety or not.

I agree with this.

And I disagree that doctors should send us off for tests just to "reassure us" unless there is sufficient justification for it because it is a waste of resources that are usually thinly spread already. And unfortunately, the reassurance doesn't last - we just move on to the next thing or don't believe the results and want the next test up and it never ends.

That said, GP's need to be careful to still be vigilant with people with HA and look at individual circumstances and situations per visit so that they don't miss the one time the patient has a real illness. It's not a job I'd want to do.

And of course, nobody should ever be laughed at.

almamatters
30-01-13, 21:34
I feel like this constantly at the doctors, but I do blame myself for some of it. I have gone in to see them with such weird illnesses that I am convinced I have that I am now not taken seriously at all.

I always start off my appointments by saying "I know I have HA but I'm sure there is something wrong this time" My GP is very nice and patient and takes time to explain why I probably have not got whatever my latest obsession is (thyroid cancer at the moment) I always feel reassured for the 10 mins I am in the surgery but start worrying again as soon as I am home.

My GP will send me for tests if he feel it is necessary but says no to most of the ones I ask for as he feels they are not needed.

Having a GP that understands HA but also knows when there may be a real problem is the key.

Seanydee
30-01-13, 21:35
I've had this myself not with my own gp but with other gps in his surgery and when they start with the health anxiety conversation I say" I know I've got health anxiety and I'm working with my gp to get that under control but ppl with health anxiety get ill too"that normaly works for me x

missfishlash
30-01-13, 21:54
I am the same Alma, i always say "its probably anxiety, but" and Ive been very lucky to have only had sympathy, kindness and being taken seriously....apart from the consultant neurologist who was an old fart anyway and took the piss out of my gp for referring me

almamatters
30-01-13, 21:59
I am the same Alma, i always say "its probably anxiety, but" and Ive been very lucky to have only had sympathy, kindness and being taken seriously....apart from the consultant neurologist who was an old fart anyway and took the piss out of my gp for referring me

How horrible of a neurologist to do that! I had the same at ENT though, totally dismissive even though he could see I was a nervous wreak during the appointment. Sounds like you have a good GP, it has took me a long time to find one I feel comfortable with. x

mrs way to worried
31-01-13, 01:07
I get people r saying that once one thing is wrong ull just move to another but I've been going about the same problem now for 4 years its not like its always the same thing , and I know that mouth cancer can go un noticed for longer than this so I'm pretty sure this is what I've got , I don't have a dentist I can ask I just don't know what to do I can't die my kids need me they r all under 5 if I die they won't even remember me Y WONT ANY DOCTOR LISTEN

PinkRoxy
31-01-13, 07:01
I do believe a good doctor would always do their job properly and take patients seriously. I don't think its bad that the doctor sends the patient off for tests for reassurance and when I get the results back and they are fine then I don't worry about it in fact the anxiety goes away as I know there is nothing wrong and I feel at ease.

I have ibs so my symptoms Ive had for the last six years such as sharp pain I don't even get worried about it as I know its a part of my ibs. Yes I do worry about things and the symptoms I get whether I will be find or not. When I go to the doctor and get tests done and they come back fine then I relax I don't worry anymore.

I am probably different to a lot of you but I think it is important to trust the tests and what your doctor says to you.